Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • how many of you remove your chain to clean it
  • yetiguy
    Free Member

Since getting my kmc chain, I find taking it off really easy using the links, and have been doing it after most muddy rides (remember them)

Was wondering if people generally take there chains off or not

Saw a bloke once at whinlatter take his chain out of a Tupperware with some cleaning fluid in and connect it to his bike I the car park, reckoned he did that every ride.

nickc

Yep, Into a jam jar with white spirits, shoogy-shoogy. wipe down, re-fit, lube of choice. Takes 5 minutes if I'm really careful, and take my time…

whyterider
    Free Member

Yup, powerlink for speed of removel/fitting and put it in degreaser while cleaning the rest of the bike (easier to clean the rest of the bike without too).

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I've been removing them for cleaning for years, mostly to allow better cleaning.

I've recently shifted to 'Squirt' lube and for the first time in many years, it looks like I don't have to anymore.

sv

Used to yes, then stopped for a few months and now discovered the ease of'shakie shakie in a bottle' routine.

DT78
    Free Member

I don't do it after every ride (depends on how late I'm back) but yes I often take it off and chuck it in a bottle of degreaser and shake it about a bit. I use link pliers so it takes less than a minute. Also means when you put the bike in the car/house you reduce the risk of getting oil on stuff.

bananaworld
    Free Member

This jobbie is great.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I leave on but in the winter I'm using my dirtworker after almost everyride. I run speed degreaser on the chain and cassette. By the time I've got the dirtworker setup it only needs a quick spray and it's done. Wipre down and GT85 before loading the car (or garaging it) and lube before next ride.

Coleman
    Free Member

Never – but still have the shiniest chain in the group.

MrSparkle

I leave the chain but remove the bike.

yetiguy
    Free Member

So white spirits in a jar and shakey shakey seems best, can you put lube on straight after the spirits or should it dry?

I still need to get the hang of the powerlink, sometimes it takes ages, other times I can do it straight away, there is definitely a knack to it

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Post ride wash, just wipe with cloth and apply lube on inner surface. If it's feeling a bit manky and stiff opr snapped a link during the ride:

1. Open powerlink and remove
    2. Wipe of crap with old rag
    3. In Tupperware tub 1 with white spirit and shake/soak
    4. Remove and wipe down with old rag
    5. Into Tupperware tub 2 to soak in oil into the pin/link interfaces
    6. Remove and wipe thoroughly to remove all surface oil from the links

perfect

will
    Free Member

Never 😆

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Other than white spirits, who uses specific degraeasing fluids? I want to use the chain off method but I don't want to waste money on the wrong stuff.

glenp
    Free Member

Neither remove nor clean. Only re-lube before every ride and lasts longer than chain that is mucked about with.

simon1975

I usually use petrol to get ride of that "brand new chain sticky stuff" and once in a while after that. Stinks though so don't do it in the house, not to mention the fire risk… I wipe it down afterwards and let it dry off completely before re-lubing.

glenncampbell

I take the chain off after a longer ride – makes it easier to clean and I then notice how filthy everything else is 🙁

Scienceofficer – have been looking at squirt lube – is it as good as they say it is?? THX!

Makore
    Free Member

I've also swiched to 'Squirt' lube. In Summer just hose it down, allow chain to dry, apply 'squirt' leave to dry. Dead easy. In Winter after washing (garden hose frozen) I take off the chain (powerlink), rinse in sink if needed, dry on radiator, apply 'squirt', dry in house and next day refit to bike in shed.
    It's dead easy.
    This stuff doesn't attract dirt and never leaves a sticky oily mess. House, car and clothes safe! (And it doesn't leave that tell tale beginners chainring mark on your calf).

jim
    Free Member

Used to but have come round to glenp's way of thinking that it's not really worth it. I'll generally just give it a brush with water when I'm cleaning the bike and relube as necessary.

nickc

Yeti, I wipe with a rag until it's not really leaving marks on the rag, then refit, and then lube, and wipe off excess.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

In terms of chain degreasing, I found whit spirit rubbish – but it is cheap. Ecotech 2 is my degreaser of choice. Used neat in a bottle with the 'Shakey Shakey' technique its very powerful.

Its too early to call on whether squirt is any good. So far my free demo bottle showed enough promise to warrant further investigation.

Its definitely sensitive to applying it properly and in good time (like the night before a ride), but it seems to last as well as finishline green in the wet/mud, which, of the dry lubes I've tried is pretty impressive.

It definitely a 're-apply after every ride' type of lube for the winter though. In the summer, given that this performs similarly to Putoline chain wax, I think it'll be 2 to 6 weeks between re-applications Depending on your mileage and conditions.

The beauty is that unlike other dry lubes like say, rock and Rock extreme, it really does flake clean for re-application, needing just a dry bush to get the dirt off.

YMMV, and TBH, the proof of the pudding will be measured chain wear – something I do every fortnight or so.

qwerty
    Free Member

💡 dishwasher = sorted 💡

coogan
    Free Member

Nope. Lucky if it gets cleans every few months.

stumpy01

I take my chain off to clean, but only when it starts to look quite minging – not after every ride.

I use the concentrated Fenwicks cleaner, which works as a degreaser too.

Jenga
    Free Member

If you want degreaser this is the stuff to use. 5 litres dilutes at 50:1 gives 250 litres for just over £10. Bio degreadable too, unlike white spirits.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/47781/Cleaning/Swarfega-Surface-Cleaners/Swarfega-Heavy-Duty-Degreaser

glenp
    Free Member

lad someone else sees sense, Jim – I go a bit further (or is it less far?) than that – dry clean only. Just brush off old dry dirt.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Weirdos.

obirobkeno
    Free Member

Mostly, but not always…

Paulrock, Tanks for the compliment! 😀

Three_Fish
    Free Member

It's virtually impossible to properly clean and dry a chain which is still fitted to the bike. Lubes like ProLink ProGold are excellent for lubing over the top of old lube, but once the crap gets to a point where the chain is crunching when twisted, the best (read: quickest and most thorough) method is to remove the chain and give it a proper cleaning.

Most lubes won't actually perform as they are designed to do unless they're applied to a clean, bone-dry chain.

pegasus
    Free Member

never, always clean it using one of those park tool devices. Then dry and re-lube, spotless.

PeteG55
    Free Member

I'm with GlenP on this one, wipe off the excess crap and relube, currently using finish line dry. Not much sticks to it. All this soaking in degreaser just washes out the wax/lube from inside the rollers and links, and you'll struggle to get that back in there after you've washed it out.

hora
    Free Member

Remove- brush in sink- pour fork oil on. Leave then rub down with some kitchen roll and refit.

Saw a bloke once at whinlatter take his chain out of a Tupperware with some cleaning fluid in and connect it to his bike I the car park, reckoned he did that every ride.

That is a recipe for disaster.

chakaping
    Free Member

I used to follow Glenp's rigorous regime.

Now I wipe and lube after every ride and remove, clean and lube after every third ride.

I can't say I notice much difference in longevity or performance. Hmmm.

Wally

Parafin in ultrasonic cleaner, then chainsaw oil. IMO cheap and perfect.

Lest
    Free Member

No matter how clean you get it, in the winter it will pick up grit in a few hundred metres.

Blast it with the hose, lube and ride.

james
    Free Member

If I'm doing a full clean, I'll take it off and scrub it with the brush on the end of the hosepipe ..
    If I'm not getting bored of cleaning then I might use a casette/drivetrain brush to give it a bit of scrub

mildred

Spray and wipe after every ride in winter – when I can be arsed in summer. When decent chains can be bought for much less than £20 I'm not **** around removing it and going through that rigmarole.

Karinofnine

In winter I take my chain off after every ride. It goes into Jizer, shake shake, get toothbrush, scrub each link individually, wash Jizer off, put on radiator to dry, re-lube.

Currently using Purple Magic, the jury's still out. Have used: WD40, GT85, Finish Line, Pedro's, tractor oil… the tractor oil was quite good actually.

Karinofnine

In winter I take my chain off after every ride. It goes into Jizer, shake shake, get toothbrush, scrub each link individually, wash Jizer off, put on radiator to dry, re-lube.

Currently using Purple Magic, the jury's still out. Have used: WD40, GT85, Finish Line, Pedro's, tractor oil… the tractor oil was quite good actually.

Northwind

Take off, throw in plastic box of paraffin, put lid on, shake, regrease, refit. Faster than doing it on the bike and much better.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘how many of you remove your chain to clean it’ is closed to new replies.