Viewing 16 posts - 121 through 136 (of 136 total)
  • How many of you have been hit by a car when you've been on your bike?
  • D0NK

The bloke a couple of pages back riding on that dual carriageway must have a deathwish.

which one you refering to? And is it the described riding style you dissapprove of or just being on a dual carriageway?

Terry
    Free Member

2.5 years as a messenger in Copenhagen, hit by cars 6 times. 2 broken carbon forks and a pair of front wheels.

Don't get me started on pedestrians who walk into the bikelane, hit a couple of them to..

Bedds
    Free Member

Two episodes from me..

The worst was a female driver who pulled across in front of me when I was about 20 mtrs away, I was doing a fair lick as it was the bottom of a hill, I got the brakes on but face planted the car all the same, honestly thought I'd broken my back…

that was 5 years ago and I'm still nervous of the junction 🙁

the other was more comedy.. I hit a sheep ?! again at the bottom of a big hill whilst on my road bike.. as I was lying in the middle of the road a car ran over my bike that I was still attached too 😯

Luminous
    Free Member

Yes, its not all one-sided, ime.

Just last week I saw a bloke riding along the hard shoulder of the M11 !!!!

😯

L

cynic-al
    Free Member

A mate got cut up in Edinburgh a few years ago (changing lanes on exit to Seafield r'bout, heading west). Van driver stops and seems reasonable then assaults him, then asks him into back of van for lift and to "sort things out" (bike is damaged). Mate refuses…turns out guy is known to the Police as having committed murders!

I tend to avoid confontation when I can, sometimes worth asking "did you see me", "is my safety worth anything to you?" etc rather than "**** off" etc

DaRC_L

3 for me
    1) tracking standing and turning right just going when a car (going too fast) appears, brake but car knocks the front wheel. Hit the deck hard, no real damage to me, bike or car.
    2) T-boned on a night ride, bar stewards coming out from their work car park just went straight into me and drove off. Efcked rear derailleur and usual cuts/bruises. Tried to report it to police at the sub-station not interested told me to go to main police station; I had no lock, police station full of scrotes so went home.
    3) Commuting home a car pulled out on me. It waited so long at the junction I was certain she must have seen me, but no. Smeared myself down drivers side. Damage to front wheel, brake/gear levers and mostly my right hand. Now it means no DIY (i.e. hammering – the scarring on the knuckle joints is too bad) and aches like the proverbial on cold/wet days. It was a filthy night, she had kids in the car so a genuine accident. The driver behind her had spotted me, lights, hi vis rain jacket etc…. My wife's a PI lawyer so got ok compensation for my hand.

drain

Twice (sort of…) when a post-grad stoodent in Manchester.

The first one was when a car pulled across me into a side road. Went across the bonnet. Driver gets out and says "Sorry, I didn't see you in the sun glare". Which as it was a sunny day and he was driving into it was fairly plausible. But he then .ucked it up by saying "I thought you were signalling to go left" 🙄 Soooo… he didn't have an answer on how he saw me signalling if he couldn't see me.

The second (sort of) bike-car interaction was a similar car-turning-right-into-a-side-road across my direction of travel. This time I had time to cut round the back of him (it was a him). Trouble was, he had a car on tow behind him. Result: comedy-ish moment of me spotting the rope as I went flying. 😯 Ho hum.

All character building.

Baldysquirt

Once only.

I was riding along a dual carriageway on a tour across Turkey a few years ago. It was a fast road, but pretty empty. I was riding on the nice wide hard shoulder. The first time i noticed the bus that hit me was also driving on the hard shoulder was when it's indicator glass smashed on impact with my bar end. I got spun off into the gravel at the side of the road and was quite badly cut up, but amazingly the bike was fine and managed another 3000 miles on the trip. The bus driver felt guilty enough that he detoured from his route (with a full complement of passengers) to show me where the nearest hospital was for a check up.

meehaja
    Free Member

clipped by several busses, knocked off by a van, "nearly" hit by a BMW, driver then got out and hit me properly, which was nice. Last time I was clipped by a big merc, but didn't fall off, driver stopped and got out, I unleashed a torrent of abuse and the guy was just trying to apologise and ask if I was ok, which made me feel really bad, cos he's the first person to ever apologise, and probably has a really bad opinion of cyclists now. luckilly I've never had any significant injuries, though a colleague had a fractured skull after a <5mph T bone incident, and she was wearing a helmet!

worryingly there have been at least 6 serious cycle accidents on my commute route in the last two years, one fatal.

Keep safe out there people, better slow than squished!

ddmonkey

While commuting in London:

Had a big white panel van pull out directly into my path, I went bang right into the big flexy side panel, wrote off the bike and I was unharmed, the van driver drove off but fortunately a witness got his number plate so I was able to nail the sod.

Then my fault I was riding up the inside of a stationary queue of traffic, too fast up the inside of a bus, into a car that was turning right off the road through the queue… oops, dented the car but I was fine. Fortunately he thought it was his fault!

And finally, riding along near St Pauls when a Van overtook me so close he rapped the end of my handlbar with his wing mirror, made an loud bang but fortunately nothing more… phew…

nedrapier

The bloke a couple of pages back riding on that dual carriageway must have a deathwish.

which one you refering to? And is it the described riding style you dissapprove of or just being on a dual carriageway?

I used to do it a lot. I worked for a catering agency on the school and uni holidays and used to cycle about 30 miles a day to various places, and tended to take the quickest, most direct route. I can't say dual carraigeways were my favourite roads, but you get used to the speed of the cars quite quickly, and there's an argument that I was safer on them than I was on country roads (despite personal experience to the contrary!) More room, more vision, fewer corners, more predictable traffic…

Karinofnine

I got knocked off in 2005 by a man who flung his door open as I was passing. I broke my collar bone and some ribs. Luckily I had a helmet on, because I remember the back of my head hitting the road and thinking "Lucky I've got my helmet on".

I didn't realise I had broken myself. It was hard to get up out of the road and I was afraid that I was going to be hit by another car. Happily a police patrol turned up and blocked the traffic so I could get up. They took a statement from the bloke and called the ambulance. I was hurting, but not much, just thinking "I'll just take some painkillers and go to work on the train tomorrow". The cop passed me her book and a pen to sign the statement she had written, I reached out with my right hand, but it wasn't working, I had thoughts then. The ambulance man told me I had broken my collar bone. On the bright side, I got to do the piano joke!

cynic-al
    Free Member

"the piano joke" ❓

Karinofnine

Patient to Doctor "Doctor, will I be able to play the piano after?"

Doctor "Yes of course"

Patient "That's great, because I can't play it now"

Oh I forgot, I was SMIDSY'd in 1984 by a Mercedes van at Holborn Circus. Was off work for months because I hurt my back so badly. I couldn't walk properly, in huge pain. It took years to get over that one and loads of money paid to osteopaths/chiropractors. I was a temp then so no sick pay either. That was a very expensive accident! I didn't get any details from the driver so could not sue.

aracer
    Free Member

Oh I forgot… It took years to get over that one

How could you possibly forget about that? 😯

Karinofnine

Because it was in 1984 which is ages ago, and because loads of other stuff has happened in between times. Things just slip my mind, plus I'm at work so am typing this reply quickly.

Viewing 16 posts - 121 through 136 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘How many of you have been hit by a car when you've been on your bike?’ is closed to new replies.