Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • How many of you have an I.C.E entry in your mobile contacts?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I do and have for several years. I.C.E – In Case of Emergency. (EDIT: Iwas led to believe that) Police and paramedics look for this automatically to find a next of kin contact phone number when they find a badly injured cyclist, walker, climber etc..

Just read about the poor guy in Derbyshire who was killed by a motorbike and remains unidentified. No ID on him at all. His poor family.

jam-bo

No, they’d have to know my pin number first so little point.

wwaswas

what jam bo said.

crikey
    Free Member

Police and paramedics look for this automatically to find a next of kin contact phone number when they find a badly injured cyclist, walker, climber etc..

No, no they don’t.

alfabus
    Free Member

isn’t the whole ‘ICE’ thing a load of carp that was touted in lots of ‘send this email to everyone you know or you’ll get the bad aids’ type spam emails?

I have a sticker inside my helmet with my next of kin details, I also tend to have my photocard license in my bag, and if commuting, my wallet in my pannier.

Anyone on here actually a paramedic or police officer? do you look for ICE contacts?

Dave

RealMan
    Free Member

I’ve got “Mum” and “Dad” on my phone, so I figure that should be enough.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I did have but I have a password lock now too.

finbar
    Free Member

^ as RealMan, or ‘sister’/’home’ etc. Makes a lot more sense than “ICE” to me. That awfully sad news story has made me seriously consider buying a RoadID though.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Blast from the past. Has this not been knocking about for about 5 years.

As above – passcode on phones.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Yes. I also have one of these just in case I have a nasty accident when out on my own.

crikey
    Free Member

The whole thing was all the rage a while ago and was promoted on various forums and in the media, and it’s cobblers.

The priority in any emergency situation is to sort out the casualty, not spend valuable time fannying about trying to contact someone who might or might not be able to answer the phone, and who would be able to contribute nothing to the situation.

We occasionally get unknown males or females ending up on ITU, but usually work out who they are in a day or so.

GrahamS

No, they’d have to know my pin number first so little point.

I have my name and an “If Found” contact number on my lock screen to get around this. it’s my wife’s mobile number so a good ICE contact too.

There are several free apps that help you create such a screen.

thomthumb
    Free Member

car audio is serious business. I got my man on speed dial.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Did a similar thing here, was in a hurry to go on a ride so just scribbled out an “in case of emergency call…” note, took a photo of it, and it’s been my phone backdrop since then!

toys19
    Free Member

Yeah ICE is a bad idea, they would be ringing a friend of mine who’s nickname is ICE..

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Help is on the way..

fisha
    Free Member

Yeah ICE is a bad idea, they would be ringing a friend of mine who’s nickname is ICE..

but if they did, they’d be able to check out his hook while his DJ revolved it.

igmc

69er
    Free Member

You know him too?

althepal

In three and a bit years I’ve only had to do it once..
    About three and a bit years ago actually!

toys19
    Free Member

yup he’s a twange but I love him anyway..

Cougar

I’m pretty sure that this all started as Yet Another email chain-letter. However, that said it’s not such a bad idea. If people used it, the emergency services might well start looking for it. Not that my phone’s ever unlocked, ofc.

I used to have emergency contact details on a bit of paper in my phone, but that was really just in case I lost my phone.

Does no-one use a wallet any more?

RealMan
    Free Member

Don’t take my proper wallet with me on bike rides, just a free MBUK wallet I got ages ago that holds a tenner and a quick link.

simon_g

Like others, phone is passcoded and will wipe itself after 5 wrong attempts. When I’m riding I always have my wallet with me, which has photocard driving licence with my name and address.

Have been thinking about getting a little ID tag made up with an emergency number, etc to put on my house keys. When I run, I don’t bother carrying my phone, just keys in shorts pocket – which would be tricky to ID me from if I was unconscious.

Bimbler
    Free Member

First I heard of it was on that Sirens TV show (very good btw, I hope they re-commission)

RealMan
    Free Member

Like others, phone is passcoded and will wipe itself after 5 wrong attempts

Why do people feel the need to do this? Are you worried someone is going to read your texts or something? Change your ringtone?

jam-bo

Why do people feel the need to do this? Are you worried someone is going to read your texts or something?

work phone. passcode lock being activated is required by our exchange server before you can access it.

GrahamS

Why do people feel the need to do this? Are you worried someone is going to read your texts or something? Change your ringtone?

If someone got access to my phone then they have access to my personal and work email. My work VPN connection. Facebook, Dropbox and various other online accounts (including here). Mine and all my contacts phone and address details. My calendar. Personal photos and videos.

So it is set with a PIN, short timeout, 5 retries. Plus it is registered with FindMyiPhone so I can Remote Wipe it if need be.

toys19
    Free Member

So that if someone nicks yer phone they cannot use it?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Anyone on here actually a paramedic or police officer? do you look for ICE contacts?

Never have, but I’d consider doing so as a last resort. But very much a last resort, telephone is not the best way to pass on bad news.

I once rang ‘mum’ from a mobile that a guy had left at an RTC where he’d stopped to help. Just to ask her who’s phone it was and what car was he driving so I could find him in the queue and hand it back. My opening line of ‘Hi, it’s the police here. Can you tell me who’s phone this is, and what car he drives. What’s happened is, there’s been a crash…’ was in hindsight not ideal.

5lab

mines set to 10 retries, has a ‘if found please return to..’ screen. I’m not fussed about wiping it as its all encrypted anyway, but it stops anyone reading my emails etc

Its just annoying that blackberry can’t have the pin code for the sim card encrypted and automatically entered by adding your unlock pw. I’d like to have both (to stop someone making expensive calls if they nick my phone) but get bored putting 2 pw’s in every time I turn my phone on

H

uplink
    Free Member

I’d go crazy if I had to enter a PIN code all the time – 100+ calls most days
    I don’t have ICE either, but I don’t take my phone with me anywhere if I’m not working usually

RealMan
    Free Member

100+ calls most days

😯

You work in a call centre?

GrahamS

I’d go crazy if I had to enter a PIN code all the time – 100+ calls most days

You don’t have to enter it to answer incoming calls and you can set the Autolock time to 5 minutes or even “Never” if you need to frequently make outgoing calls without the 1 second delay to enter your pin.

uplink
    Free Member

You work in a call centre?

You’d think so some days

We all work from home now and just use mobiles

uplink
    Free Member

If it was set to “Never” why would I need to set a PIN?

headfirst
    Free Member

stop your bickering!!

Get yourselves a RoadID wristband, will deliver to UK

http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx?referrer=4252&gclid=CP7n4f3TvasCFQcntAodlzTqrg

clubber
    Free Member

uplink – Member

You can manually lock it if you choose then – it never does so automatically.

GrahamS

If it is set to Never then it only PIN locks when you press the top button (on an iPhone at least) – so you just get into the habit of pressing the button before sticking your phone in a pocket or whatever.

uplink
    Free Member

You can manually lock it if you choose then – it never does so automatically.

Nah, as I said, it rarely leaves my desk anyway and I can just lock it without a PIN all the same

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘How many of you have an I.C.E entry in your mobile contacts?’ is closed to new replies.