Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • How many of us can actually type.
  • neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Using both hands and knowing where the correct keys are ? a lot of long posts are often seen on this site, must take ages for the one fingered typists to get a post on ?
    See what happens when you can not go out.. all sorts of daft things enter your head.. 😯

foxyrider
    Free Member

Try Dragon dictation software 😉

CHB

i kin tarp pruperly

willej

I can, until I realise I'm doing it, then I can't anymore, until I forget again…

grumm
    Free Member

I can do 50-60 wpm and I don't need to look at the keys. Used this thing

http://www.tenthumbstypingtutor.com/

I think anyone who uses a computer much for work should learn really.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Mavis beacon is where its at lol 13 wpm with two fingers lol 😀

taka
    Free Member

i cant, cant even spell a word when im looking at the keys! 😆

Nico
    Free Member

Yes.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

I am pretty good so long as i stick to words like,

as,
    we,

Must remember a spce between thm

beej

willej – I'm just the same. I'll be typing away without really thinking about it, then suddenly realise that somehow the words are getting from my brain to the screen without me thinking about it… then it all falls to pieces.

Touchtyping freaks me out.

Flaperon

Yes, but most young people can. They beat it into me with Mavis Beacon at school, and then 3 years of essays and reports at university polished it off. 50-60 wpm, I should guess.

Edit: 56wpm with no mistakes on TypeOnline.co.uk.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

To be honest, I type all day some days. I usually bang away then use the spell checker to put anything right.
    But, however, and this is strange, I cannot for the life of me use someone elses keyboard. I have to have mine aligned just as I like it, wierd but true.

jonb
    Free Member

I can't type properly but I can type quickly.

After years spent on MSN messenger at school followed by having to type up reports at uni and then more typing at work you need to get fast even if you're not doing it properly. Think I can do about 50 words per minute. More if I don't care about splings and gramar.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I was taught to touch type as a kid Mum used to go on at me all the time and was only allowed to use computer if I used the right keys! has paid dividends in later life. About 10 years ago I did 77 WPM however now I type even quicker. I can type without looking at keys or the screen and hold a conversation with someone else at the same time! People at work always comment and get annoyed with my typing skills!!! 😉

ourmaninthenorth

Yes, I can type perfectly well, though I do only rely on two fingers and a thumb.

Which is a maxim I try to live my whole life by. 🙂

AlasdairMc

I got 53wpm on that typing test, I might try it again with less caffeine sometime 🙂

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

I seem to type quicker when i've had a couple of beers 😯
    (It's took me 1/2 an hour to wright this :oops:)

Marge
    Free Member

just tried it – 48 wpm 🙁

(biggest problem was reading it right I think…)

amodicumofgnar

Yes, took every evening for about a week to teach myself using one of those typing tutor programmes. Fastest was about 60wpm but now back at about 45wpm. Unfortately I can type faster than I can spell.

GrahamS

Professional software developer here. I spend most of my day typing – but I can't touchtype. 😳

I actually do the exact opposite of touch typing. I type while looking at the keyboard and I can happily write and correct entire paragraphs without ever glancing up to the screen.

To be fair, I'm not convinced that the traditional asdf-jkl; home key touch-typing is well suited to programming, which often involves the use of the more obscure keys.

greyman
    Free Member

hopeless here, two fingers max, really should learn to improve

my missus can touch type, frightening speeds, and hold a conversation at the same time – very impressive skill to have.

can't read a map though ….

MrsToast
    Free Member

I can type ‘correctly’ and fairly quickly. Not quite sure when I gained the ability to type without looking at the keyboard, I’ve never done any courses or owt. I make the odd typo here and there, with the most disturbing being typing ‘busty’ instead of ‘busy’!

soobalias
    Free Member

learnt to type properly about 8yrs ago, to help a move from engineering to accounting. Full keyboard, function keys and number pad, took me about a month doing a bit each evening.

thing is now if i am forced to type one handed at all im stuffed – its two full hands or single finger

Milkie
    Free Member

I can type properly, I just can't spell very well!

Used to be 90wpm, certainly nowhere near that anymore, 40wpm with one hand! 😀

I used Mavis Beacon for learning to type.

ourmaninthenorth

hopeless here, two fingers max, really should learn to improve

Hardly. My father has worked in It for 40 years. He still uses two fingers, and seems to have no problem at all.

zaskar
    Free Member

I'm no secretary but I can use both hands no problemo without looking at the keyboard like now!

What happened to speech recnognition software? and new technology like visual keyboards using laser light will be even easier I hope!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘How many of us can actually type.’ is closed to new replies.