Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • How many of us are there?
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

I rarely meet mountain bikers in my day to day life and the general population on the whole think I’m mad for being into something they perceive as dangerous, dirty and expensive.

I’ve never seen more than a couple of hundred people out, even on the very busiest day in the Surrey hills and trail centres are even less busy.

I know there are a gazillion roadies on any given Sunday but how many serious mountain bikers are there I wonder. It seems to still be a really niche pastime despite all the marketing gumpf talking it up.

scotroutes

Define “mountain biking”. 🙂

psling
    Free Member

joolsburger
    Free Member

People who ride proper off road bikes, off road. You know, mountain bikers.

Bregante

psling – Member

I think I’m the .2 😐

joolsburger
    Free Member

It’s a serious question I’m sure the marketing monkeys at Specialized and Trek know and the purveyors of this fine site must have at least a passing interest in their demographic but it always strikes me at how empty the car parks are especially in winter..

wwaswas

it always strikes me at how empty the car parks are especially in winter..

I’d guess the vast majority of people ride from their house for their day to day riding, even if there’s a few road miles involved.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Yeah I’m in London I always forget other people have actual nature near them.

Drac

Car Parks?

brakes
    Free Member

I do wonder if the Wiggo Spring/ roadie uprising has meant less people are getting out on their mountain bikes.
    Call me selfish, but I prefer it as a low participation pass-time.

Gary_M
    Free Member

the general population on the whole think I’m mad for being into something they perceive as dangerous, dirty and expensive

I don’t think they really do, you may want to think that though but its not true.

Is mountain biking really perceived as dangerous, dirty and expensive? Do people really think about it that much?

There is nothing niche about riding a mountain bike.

shermer75
    Free Member

Ok, fair point, let’s count off. One…

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’d guess the vast majority of people ride from their house for their day to day riding, even if there’s a few road miles involved.

Do you reckon? I’d have thought more people drive to trail centres.

maxtorque

joolsburger

I’ve never seen more than a couple of hundred people out

For pretty much of the last year, if i saw anyone else on a bike it was a suprise!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’m definitely a cyclist and I have a couple of mountain bikes but I’m not sure if I would be included in the count of mountain bikers.

I occasionally drive to the peak or north wales with the bike but I’ve only been to a trail centre twice (assuming Swinley counts). 90% of the time my mountain bikes are used from the house on tracks that wouldn’t make very good photo shoots, towpaths, bridleways RUPP’s etc. It’s off-road but I’m not sure if it counts as mountain biking these days.

As for perception, I think the non biking publics view of mountain biking is that it’s a bit grubby.

wwaswas

Do you reckon?

yep, more people ride local stuff from their house than visit trail centres by car.

Dylan08
    Free Member

wwaswas + 1 🙂

plyphon
    Free Member

Where I ride, during “decent” weather onwards, on a weekend I will pass between 5 and 20 other mountain bikers in a 2/3 hour window, every weekend without fail.

But where I ride is a local place and not a trail center etc.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘How many of us are there?’ is closed to new replies.