Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • How many of us are above-average driving Gods?
  • DezB
    Free Member

I'd consider someone like my wife to be a "good driver". She's patient, safe and observant.
    I, on the other hand can control a car better than her, park a car in the smallest space possible and anticipate the actions of other road users a little better.
    But. I am a sh1t driver because I hate driving and am so impatient my head nearly explodes every journey I make by car.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I'm brilliant on a motorcycle.

In the car I'm okay. I have good manners and riding motorcycles has given me good awareness of what's going on around me. Skill wise not too bad.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Rospa Gold
    IAM Senior Observer (96% Theory / Practical)
    IAM Special Assessment 86% (Highest mark awarded by that Examiner apparently)
    I've also passed off-road, blue-light, skid pan, anti-hijack and assorted other courses.

Done some track days and used to rally-cross

Am I a good driver?

I still rise to challenges, go out looking for 'overtakes' and succumb to red-mist sometimes. Always room to improve!

Like I said in the other thread it's about attitude more than skill.

If you think you are a good driver, chances are you ain't 😉

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

I thought I was a competent – experienced driver until last winter when I had my first experience of anti lock brakes working overtime while I was going down a hill… I posted that experience on here at the time.. so all in all, there is still a learning curve to be had even tho I have held a full licence since 1980.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Had my 1st car at 13 & learned to 'make it go' in a disused quarry. Passed my test in 1974-75 (can't remember!) & never had an insurance claim as far as accidents go (or expense to myself.) Never caused an accident, never been in an accident. Had an 'endorsement' on my licence for a faulty handbrake once when I was 18 though. I get pi$$ed of at women on roundabouts who don't read the road & stop when there's nowt coming etc & people who drive like 'fannies'. Never been done for speeding but been guilty occasionaly, etc etc.
    Depends what you mean by 'Above Average' dunnit? As far as I'm concerned the likes of the late C. McRea & R. Burns are 'above average' All this 'Advanced' bollox are, well….bollox. Means little except youv'e done some course or another.

I can reverse a trailer, I understand mini roundabouts and I know that fog lights are only for use when it's foggy.
    I think that makes me above average. 8)

hora
    Free Member

I could go and get one of those IAM qualifications and parade my anality on the front of my car. Instead I'll concentrate on driving from A to B for many years to come.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I think i'm an ok ish driver, i know a lot of people that are better drivers than i am anyway.

I've got a normal car for work and chucking the bike in and this as a toy.

My money pit

GaVgAs
    Free Member

"just a shame he wasnt a flying god…."

with a valid pilots licence! 🙄

Hairychested
    Free Member

I can drive when it's -1 deg. Makes me the God, right?

Big-M
    Free Member

I'd like to think i'm a good river. Cover about 45,000 miles a year on business and I'm still here to talk about it. Though I suspect I have some horribly bad habbits! Tend to drive too quickly, comes from racing bikes, I think you get accoustomed to speed.

I like to think that I'm more observant than most and try to anticipate other traffic, think that comes from years of motorbike riding and self preservation!

All that said I'd probably fail my test if I sat it today.

Grimy
    Free Member

Can you be more specific about the question? Are you asking if we can drive/ park/ handle a car better than the 50th percentile, or are you asking if we remain perticually safe/ cautious/ risk free whilst doing so. Some people will regard an accident free motorist as a good driver, whislt some poeple will see them as a menice to the road. My mother hasnt had an accident in over 30 years, but shes a god awfull driver.

greyman
    Free Member

GOAN – yeah, might have been waxing a bit lyrical there … hence the 😉

my money's on her though …

zokes
    Free Member

Goan – Premier Member

just a shame some on here are pretty good at being bell-end gods….

Very observant of your own character there, Smee

Smee
    Free Member

Humbug?

SaxonRider

DezB – Member
    I'd consider someone like my wife to be a "good driver". She's patient, safe and observant.
    I, on the other hand can control a car better than her, park a car in the smallest space possible and anticipate the actions of other road users a little better.
    But. I am a sh1t driver because I hate driving and am so impatient my head nearly explodes every journey I make by car.

Pretty much exactly as he said. Only, because I'm originally from Canada, I feel that I'm a helluva lot better than pretty much every one of you in snow and ice (and every other inclement condition I can think of).

Seriously, we were taken to frozen lakes as kids and made to swing 'doughnuts', pull out of 'fishtails', and do pretty much everything else a Rally driver does in the course of an average season.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

dunno, but the midget makes every mildly moist roundabout a challenge, so maybe I'm better than average at catching skids, but arguably a bad driver for going in search of them in the first place 🙂

Was on a motorbike for the first time in years at the weekend, felt horrible, like my arse was welded to the seat, couldn't shift my weight at all, remember being able to hang right off on the cg125, so must need some practice!

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

I'm the man! Well, actually really dire but my VR-4 with winter tyres doesn't get in any trouble in the first place. Good to see all the muppets in BMWs sliding around in the "Ultimate Driving Machine".

Ambrose

Loving reading all the big headed comments. 'Above- average driving Gods'= better than a driving God, which in my book means an exceptionally talented driver. Mind you, I've never (knowingly) met any of you or seen you drive. Further, I'm not in a position to judge you.

We need a definition of a driving God before we can really progress here.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Colin McRae was a driving god.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

I'm not that bad, but have had some 'moments'. Namely rolling my sisters mini (old style) in the snow while my XR2 was having a new engine fitted. Then writing off the XR2 a few weeks later after nodding off at the wheel and taking out a few concrete posts and the front drivers side of the car.

That was 20 years ago though, so i can attempt to blame youthful exhuberance. 🙂

Woody
    Free Member

I could go and get one of those IAM qualifications and parade my anality on the front of my car.

You do that quite well without a car 😀

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Consider myself above average as far as being a safe driver but wouldn't think I have any particular high speed car handling skills.

Driving gods to me would be those who can do what most others can't, again and again, without mishap. If you 4 wheel drift a corner occasionally and get away with it that doesn't make you a driving god – doing it regularly and consistently like pro drivers is what makes you good.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

hora – Member
    I could go and get one of those IAM qualifications and parade my anality on the front of my car. Instead I'll concentrate on driving from A to B for many years to come.

Shall I bite??..

Oh go on then 😉

You mentioned in a previous thread that you've had some experience with the IAM before? Driven with someone who's passed?

More than 500,000 have passed the test so yes there are extremes. Yes it attracts petrol-heads, yes the average member is "old" but you'd be surprised how broad a church it is.

The vast majority of members join and take the test to make themselves better drivers. As I said before it's mostly about driver attitude but what we teach is common sense and undoubtedly the best way to drive on roads.

Nothing anal about the IAM 😉

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Cba reading all the above.
    Wgas about being a "driving God"?

Oh, you lot, obviously.
    PMSL!!

8)

Olly
    Free Member

I can parrallel park perfectly first time, and generally park unlike SO many morons on the road.

i also know what the switches do, so dont drive around with my ferking lights on in the day.

I also seem to be the ONLY person in the universe who knows how to use foglights properly.

driving wise:

i drive like A BIT of a child, and have been lucky so far. (bwarp)

a LOT of people drive like children

i would put myself in the top third of people on the road, but have no doubt there is a lot more to learn

FoxyChick
    Free Member

This thread is priceless!
    I'm going to send it to all my friends.

Knobadoodies, the lot of you! (except for Gavgas!!) 8)

Woody
    Free Member

Olly wrote

i drive like A BIT of a child, and have been lucky so far. (bwarp)

a LOT of people drive like children

Do children drive with their heads up their arses.??????

But well done on knowing what the switches do and being able to use your foglights properly 😀

Stu_N

Much like DezB – fine until I loose patience. Doesn't happen that often though.

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘How many of us are above-average driving Gods?’ is closed to new replies.