Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • How many miles can you get out of a frame?
  • shermer75
    Free Member

I know this is a bit ‘how long is a piece of string’ but what are people’s experiences? I’ve gone back to being a poor student and I’m commuting by bike (about a hundred miles a week) so it’s got me thinking about it…

soma_rich
    Free Member

a steel framed bike could outlive you if its not hit by a car.

shermer75
    Free Member

a steel framed bike could outlive you if its not hit by a car.

This is the kind of answer I was hoping for!! 🙂

tthew

My mum had her steel 531 Raleigh frame refinished for the first time about a year ago as it was a bit rusty on one of the chainstays. I can remember riding home from the shop with her on that bike as I was bought my 5 speed Raleigh Maverick at the same time.

I would have been 11 or 12 at the time, so 30 years ago and it’s been in constant use the whole of that time.

Will you still be a student in 2044??

captaincarbon
    Free Member

My fixed/hack – 30 plus year old frame, still sweet!

njee20
    Free Member

I’d say I’ve done 30,000 miles or so on my carbon Madone… No carbon splinters in my heart yet.

dragon
    Free Member

If looked after then a steel frame should last indefinitely for example Ironbridge is still standing and was built in 1779.

Aluminium frames will eventually fatigue and crack but probably long after many millions of fatigue cycles (stress corrosion cracking could do it in earlier if the frame isn’t fully looked after).

Carbon fiber should last blooming ages.

bikeneil
    Free Member

If looked after then a steel frame should last indefinitely for example Ironbridge is still standing and was built in 1779.

I would imagine the steel used to build Ironbridge is a little bit thicker than the tubes on a modern bike frame.

Stevet1
    Free Member

I thought steel frames went ‘soft’ after a while

<runs away>

thecaptain
    Free Member

Frames don’t wear out. Everything else does though!

Our tandem has done upwards of 50,000 miles, and I think the frame might be the only original part left. And it’s aluminium. Some smart-arse told us “it’ll crack at the head tube” when it was about a year old.

I suppose steel would rust eventually if you neglect it enough.

Bruce

My Kona unit broke in front of the seat tube after about 8-9 years at 14 miles per day 5 days per week.

warpcow
    Free Member

You see quite a few bikes from the 30s and 40s being used everyday for commuting here in Sweden. Makes my 20yr old Kona seem positively sprightly.

crazy-legs

My SS road bike is on just over 67,000 miles at the moment. 🙂
    Can’t remember how old it is offhand. It’s a first generation Langster. Maybe 12 years old?

StirlingCrispin

My steel touring bike had covered 65,000 miles by the time I passed on.

Worry about components: single speed, coaster or disk brakes etc Go unfashionable: I got 42,000 miles out of a square taper bottom bracket.

Andy-R

dragon – Member

But the Iron Bridge wasn’t built out of steel, was it? It was made from cast iron – the clue’s in the name.

But yes, barring accidental damage and as long as it’s not left out in the rain every day I’d expect a steel frame would out-live most people

shermer75
    Free Member

Worry about components: single speed, coaster or disk brakes etc Go unfashionable: I got 42,000 miles out of a square taper bottom bracket.

Square taper: tick, it’s been great so far (shimano un54). I had v brakes but the rims were getting a bit thin (about 1mm) so I replaced with some avid bb7s, I figured I’d save money in the long run. I also have an Alfine 8 which feels a bit heavy and wasn’t super cheap either but again I’m hoping it’ll save me money in the long run. So far all I’ve needed to replace are chains, tyres, brake pads and spokes (I think the spokes break because between the 26′ wheel and the Alfine’s massive flange(!) the angle at the nipple is really tight(!!). Thinking about rebuilding with a two cross pattern one day instead)…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘How many miles can you get out of a frame?’ is closed to new replies.