Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • how many miles before i swop my chain?
  • boo01
    Free Member

i use a chain checker to check my chain on Mondays after a weekend riding on my mtb and my chain was looking good (not dropping in on .75) on the checker!
    But i swapped chains last week and the new one started slipping
    so i had to change the cassette and one of my rings?
    all sorted, have thrown away the chain checker &
    have now set myself a goal on strava 400 miles then change the chain?
    any help, more ? less? miles ?
    Thanks

weeksy

Why use a chain checker tool ? i swapped mine at 2000 and it was still not missing/skipping any gears. It was just that i’d split and Shimano bullet pinned it 6-7 times for trying chain guides, so wanted a new one.

Trimix
    Free Member

When your it starts slipping just change the lot. Chain and sprockets and cassette. I do this about once a year and ride three/four times a week off road all year round. I dont buy expensive stuff, mid / cheap prices and dont oil my chain. I wash it and use WD40.

I reckon thats good value for money and never have any issues. I do own a chain checker and tried it for a while, but found using worn chains on new rings or the otherway round just meant I was always changing one or the other, or checking or slipping.

Now its a once a year job for the lot.

Dont use sticky lube. You just end up sticking grit to the chain. Its powered by a human, so you cant really generate much wear if its clean. When its dirty and lubed its just grinding paste. Keep it clean and free from lube it will last longer.

br
    Free Member

Better use of English would’ve helped…

But it reads like you put a new chain on even though the checker said you didn’t need to and then found that it slipped. So you put on a new cassette and chainring. And now are going change the chain every 400 miles. Correct?

BTW I get about 1000k per chain, and a cassette/chainrings last 3 chains.

boo01
    Free Member

Br
    you read it right
    This was my second chain on a new bike so expected the cassette & rings last one or two more chain before swapping everything.
    I clean and lube chain every Monday.. 621 miles is a lot! only did 550ish miles on last chain ?? all off road on a lots off trail centers…

Trimix
    Free Member

As the chain wears, so do the sprockets – of course at different rates as they are made from different materials and you use one chain spread over several cogs.

But if you look at new sprockets and your used ones you will see wear. They wont last long, not two chains worth.

How far you can wear out sprockets before a new chain slips is not a science. Way too much faf in finding out, so just change the lot once a year.

mr-brightside
    Free Member

i use 2 chains and swap them over about every 100 miles that way both the chains are wearing at the same rate as the sprockits so far ive done about 1200 miles mostly off road on all conditions when the chains are worn out i will replace the lot and do the same again.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘how many miles before i swop my chain?’ is closed to new replies.