Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • How many links for 11-42 & 32T chainring
  • pc2017
    Free Member

Sick of messing about with the KMC quick link as its not going together at all so going to buy a new chain tomorrow.

Does anyone on here run XT M8000 with 11-42 cassette & 32T chainring?
    If so how many links are you running?

Cheers

qwerty
    Free Member

Err… chainstay length will need to be accounted for, and maybe chain growth through suspension travel, not a one size fits all.

Murray

Depends on chain stay length – you’ll have to measure it. Sorry.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Big-big plus a complete link overlap, then add your “Powerlink” thing and jobs a good’en?

Alternatively, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.afwd.clc

TheGingerOne

The same number as on the chain you are taking off that setup 😉

Not sure how you can struggle to do up a QuickLink? Get in on and then with the link ‘above’ the chain stay, apply pressure to the pedal with the front brake on and it clicks into place – at least, that is how I always do it and never had a link fail on me yet

cp

Sick of messing about with the KMC quick link as its not going together at all

How is it not going together?

Push two plates together with pins aligned, spin chain so link is on upper chain run. Apply pressure to pedals with front brake on. Clicks into place easily with minimal force.

pc2017
    Free Member

I have tried the above but the link is stuck in the middle. Il give it another go this evening but its been a right pain in the @rse!

nickfrog
    Free Member

Does anyone on here run XT M8000 with 11-42 cassette & 32T chainring?
    If so how many links are you running?

I have 112 in this very combination on a 27.5 HT with 425mm chain stays.

I would still not take it for gospel though – check before you cut.

cp

I have tried the above but the link is stuck in the middle. Il give it another go this evening but its been a right pain in the @rse!

oh dear! Perhaps a rogue one. Sounds very odd. Did it come with a chain – i.e. is it legit KMC or an eBay fake?

pc2017
    Free Member

Its a legit KMC from bike-discount. Unfortunately I have changed the whole groupset on my bike and scrapped the old chain so cant compare it to the old one.

irc

Just a bad one. I’ve had one quick link that just wouldn’t close. Bin it and get another.

jimdubleyou

Just a bad one. I’ve had one quick link that just wouldn’t close. Bin it and get another.

Is this why they are sold in pairs? 😛

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Just did a chain today with a 30t ring and 11-42 and XTR long cage mech.
    Used the whole 114 links

pc2017
    Free Member

Sorted now, I closed it as much as possible by hand and then stamped on the pedal a few times and it popped in, right pain in the arse but all sorted now. Ended up using the full 114 links.

Murray

Well done – and that’s the correct technique. The 11 speed ones don’t really open and close by hand.

Have you bought some chain link pliers for when you want to undo it?

njee20
    Free Member

And did you have the power link on the top run of chain…?

I’ve seen a lot of people trying to do them up when it’s betwixt rear mech and chainring…

pc2017
    Free Member

Yes I had it positioned on the top.

Chain link pliers already purchased, got X-tools ones for £5 🙂

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Those pliers are very handy

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘How many links for 11-42 & 32T chainring’ is closed to new replies.