Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • How many killed by guns in the US since their mass shooting last week?
  • khani
    Free Member

Q. How many members of the NRA does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: More guns

😀

grum
    Free Member

🙂

While I’m broadly in favour of greater gun control, what the US really needs to sort out is the country’s weird cultural obsession with guns and violence. It’s all tied up with their conception of themselves as a nation – myths about the ‘old west’ and ‘pioneers’ etc. Daft.

Macavity
    Free Member
    khani
    Free Member

The comments are entertaining.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of elementary school kids with an assault rifle.

This message is approved by the National Rifle Association.

Some friends in the USA recently posted pics of their new family fun gun on Facebook, in all other respects they’re perfectly nice and normal,
    It’s like some type of national insanity..

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I think they should have a go at not making a deal out of the killer.

So they know they will be forgotten, Victims are forgotten by all who don’t know them whereas a serial killer becomes famous.

Also focus needs to be on mental heath etc of the people who have guns, as thats more of a problem than the gun itself.

Junkyard
    Free Member

someone mentally ill without a gun is far less of a problem than someone mentally ill with an assault weapon

It may be easier to address access to guns than mental health

Its NRA type spin to suggest its just the mental illness its not its access to guns – some of whom who have access are mentally ill but most of the deaths [ if not sprees] will be done by sane folk

bencooper
    Free Member

The NRA should know – the son of the NRA president is doing 10 years for using a gun in a road rage incident.

lucien

Now there I was under the impression that the only real way to deal with nutters with guns, was to give the non-nutters bigger and/or more guns….USA logic at it’s best

bencooper
    Free Member

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

someone mentally ill without a gun is far less of a problem than someone mentally ill with an assault weapon

It may be easier to address access to guns than mental health

Agree, probably didn’t word it in the best way.

I was meaning more toward the uk system, very hard to get a gun if you have mental illness/history of violence etc.

There are far to many variables to pin this down to one answer. So many issues need to be addressed.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I do like the facebook one circulating that your right to carry gunships outweighed by my right not to be shot by one.

Unfortunately it goes much deeper into culture that people don’t see it as a problem.

konabunny
    Free Member

I think anyone who can carry a gunship should be allowed to. It’s not like I’m going to tell them no anyway.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Interesting that Radio 4 programme

30 people killed with handguns in the UK 2009/10 (last figures)

Well, banning handguns worked well, didn’t it!

johnners
    Free Member

It’s impossible to say – got any Control data?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Impossible to say as we’ll never know what the figures would have been if handguns hadn’t been banned.

grum
    Free Member

And of course Zulu-Eleven is intelligent enough to know that, but said it anyway to provoke a reaction. What do they call that again?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

I think they call it fundamentally disagreeing with the premise that banning things as a sticking plaster rather than tackling underlying social problems works, as even when you ban things, determined people can and will still access them.

piemonster

Zulu-Eleven – Member

Despite the trollish nature of the post.

I’m genuinely suprised the number is that low. I’d have expected that just for Shottingham….

Well, maybe London

joemarshall
    Free Member

Hard to tell, but we could try comparing it with a country with widespread easy access to hand guns. Like say the USA, where they have well over 10,000 handgun murders a year (not to mention roughly similar numbers of people comitting suicide with guns)

So banning handguns does not completly stop gun murders, but does appear to make it an order of magnitude less common, which has to be a good thing.

So looking at the statistic you’ve provided,it looks like banning handguns is a brilliant success.

joemarshall
    Free Member

It’s obviously hard to tell if the ban specifically did that obviously, it could also be due to our incredibly strict compared to the US gun controls generally.

konabunny
    Free Member

And of course Zulu-Eleven is intelligent enough to know that, but said it anyway to provoke a reaction. What do they call that again?

A tedious predictable counterbalance to the tedious predictable sanctimony of the Brits holding forth on American culture while demonstrating their ignorance of it.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Zulu-Eleven – Member

US gun homicides

2009: 9,146
    2008: 9,484
    2007: 10,129
    2006: 10,225
    2005: 10,158
    2004: 9,385
    2003: 9,659
    2002: 9,369
    2001: 8,890
    1999: 8,259
    1998: 9,257

http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/united-states

works quite well, aye

alanl
    Free Member

The reason so few are killed by handguns here is because of the idiots who fire them – they (the majority of neds) have no training whatsoever in their use, they then have a ‘feud’ with a rival, which involves going armed with their ‘shooter’, and when it comes to pulling the trigger, they aim for the chest or head, and invariably miss the centre of the target, thus taking an ear off, or hitting an arm/shoulder.
    If they were trained in the smallest way, or had fired a gun before, then there would be more deaths, but luckily, as handguns are banned, they can never practice legally, and doing so illegally would have them arrested in short order unless they could find a suitably quiet, remote location , and being as it is mostly urban thugs who do the shooting, they are very unlikely to know somewhere where they can practice their shooting, along with the difficulty in obtaining ammunition (harder than buying an illegal gun I am told), this conspires to make us safer.

As for legally held guns, apart from the 3 outrages here in the last 25 years, we are one of the most law abiding gun owners anywhere in the World. Very few legally held guns are used in a criminal activity – the biggest danger from the owner of a legally held gun is the owner him/her self – sadly, there are a lot of suicides each year from their own gun.

konabunny
    Free Member

Raw numbers are meaningless.

UK population: 62,641,000/30 = 1 per 2,088,033
    US population: 311,591,917/10,000 = 1 per 31,159

A random inhabitant is 67 times more likely to be shot dead in the US than in the UK, if I have that right.

They’re 48 times more likely to be able to get a cup of coffee in less than fifteen minutes, though, so it’s not all bad news.

piemonster

Interesting little snippet from the Gunpolicy site;

Civilian Guns
    CompareNumber of Privately Owned Firearms
    The estimated total number of guns held by civilians in the United Kingdom is 4,060,000
    CompareRate of Civilian Firearm Possession per 100 Population
    The rate of private gun ownership in the United Kingdom is 6.7 firearms per 100 people
    CompareNumber of Licensed Firearm Owners
    The number of licensed gun owners in the United Kingdom is reported to be 861,958
    CompareRate of Licensed Firearm Owners per 100 Population
    The rate of licensed firearm owners in the United Kingdom is 1.46 per 100 people
    CompareNumber of Registered Firearms
    The number of registered guns in the United Kingdom is reported to be 2,158,572
    CompareRate of Registered Firearms per 100 Population
    The rate of registered firearms per 100 people in the United Kingdom is 3.48
    CompareNumber of Privately Owned Shotguns
    In the United Kingdom, the number of shotguns in civilian possession is reported to be 1,503,850

piemonster

They also have the total number of gun deaths in the UK at

In the United Kingdom, annual deaths resulting from firearms total

2009: 138

Which is a figure I would have expected more than 30, includes all gun deaths though.

grum
    Free Member

A tedious predictable counterbalance to the tedious predictable sanctimony of the Brits holding forth on American culture while demonstrating their ignorance of it.

Why not show us some of your insight then? Because just being sneery and superior isn’t massively helpful.

I’ll post up my dissertation on violence in modern American history if you like. 😉

hora
    Free Member

The NRA is lobbying for all tourists to be allowed to carry a gun. They argue that you will be safer and enjoy your trip more.

Well its only a matter of time..

druidh
    Free Member

Maybe the 138 is total deaths (murder, suicide, accident) and the 30 is murders only?

Northwind

piemonster – Member

I’m genuinely suprised the number is that low. I’d have expected that just for Shottingham….

It’s a fear of crime thing- we’re always hearing about how we’ve got an “epidemic of gun crime” and how gangs are running around shooting people all the time, in fact actual shootings are very rare.

The 138 will include suicides.

piemonster

Possibly, I believe Z11 did quote it as hand gun deaths

piemonster

Number of Handgun Homicides
    ChartIn the United Kingdom, annual handgun homicides total

2008: 4
    2007: 2
    2006: 3
    2005: 3
    2004: 2
    2003: 3
    2001: 1
    CompareRate of Handgun Homicide per 100,000 People
    ChartIn the United Kingdom, the annual rate of handgun homicide per 100,000 population is

2008: 0.01
    2007: 0.00
    2006: 0.01
    2005: 0.01
    2004: 0.00
    2003: 0.01
    2001: 0.00

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well, I LOLed.

johnners
    Free Member

Number of Handgun Homicides
    ChartIn the United Kingdom, annual handgun homicides total

2008: 4
    2007: 2
    2006: 3
    2005: 3
    2004: 2
    2003: 3
    2001: 1

So handgun deaths went up 400% between 2001 and 2008, therefore banning them is obviously completely ineffective.

konabunny
    Free Member

Why not show us some of your insight then?

what the US really needs to sort out is the country’s weird cultural obsession with guns and violence.

It’s a good thing there’s a single American culture.

being sneery and superior isn’t massively helpful.

Oh, the iron supplements.

TooTall
    Free Member

Nope. This:

plus:

Oh, the iron supplements.

still puts you in the

sneery and superior

sin bin

grum
    Free Member

konabunny – again, you’re not really saying anything are you?

I’ve studied American history as my main subject in the final year of my degree – focussing on what makes up their national identity, cultural myths etc I’m not claiming to be an expert but there is a lot of cultural baggage around the idea of the ‘rugged individualist’ able to solve his own problems through direct action/violence.

Obviously it’s not an overriding factor for every single American but it does exist. Plenty of literature on the subject if you can be arsed reading it.

Again, if you have some of your own insight you’d like to share I’m all ears.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Compulsory corporal punishment and marching ought to be introduced into all american schools until they can learn to behave in a proper way, going round shooting folk is a disgrace !

piemonster

So handgun deaths went up 400% between 2001 and 2008, therefore banning them is obviously completely ineffective.

Jesus H Corbett, hadn’t looked at it that way.

I’m going to panic and fear and buy the Mail and stuff like that.

WE ARE DOOMED

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘How many killed by guns in the US since their mass shooting last week?’ is closed to new replies.