Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • How many hours do you work?
  • therag
    Free Member

Me, minimum of 45 per week. plus 1 hour each way.
    7:30 – 5:30 mon-thurs, 7:30 – 2:30 fri. So I’m out of the house 55 hours a week.
    I have a job which i enjoy, with no big responsiblities and good pay, but recently find I don’t have any spare time and after reading rubbish’s emotional story it makes me realise this even more. Need to do to more at home!

So how many hours do you work?

MrGrim

Normally 35 hours, but with any OT at time and a half or double depending on the day of the week. An average week will add 3 hours of OT onto my basic hours. I also do oncall (with allowance), but rarely get called out.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I’m contract, so negotiated 4 day/ 34-ish hour working week. Get paid less, but just spend less. I’d rather have the time off than buy things we don’t need.

Are you able to work from home, even for 1 day a week as that would give you min 2 hours to play with.

TheFlyingOx

12 hours a day x 14 days straight, then 21 days off. Rinse hands and then repeat.

vooomvooom
    Free Member

I work part time, around 20 hours a week. I look after our son all day, then when my other half comes back from work, I go to mine for a few hours, and we still have some time during weekends for each other. The pay isn’t amazing but enough, plus my OH earns a lot more than I, so we’ve got enough for what we need. I really like this set up because I spend loads of time with my family. Only wish I had more time to go out riding bikes, at the moment it’s only once a month 🙁

tazzymtb

varies, from 40-80 depending on projects and management time.

therag
    Free Member

I work on power stations, so no chance of working from home 🙁
    Vv same here, only riding about once maybe twice a month.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Out of the house 65-70 hours a week. Daily, roughly 10-11 hours in office, 25 – 3 hours travel to/from daily. No complaints it was my choice.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

50/60. Not including breaks etc.
    Toooo much
    I want more time to ride bikes.
    Time for a career change I think.

Dibbs
    Free Member

37 hour week but I work 12 hour shifts (07:30 – 19:30 and 19:30 – 07:30) two Day Shifts, 24 hour break, two Night Shifts, five days off, every 5 weeks or so we have to do a couple of 8 hour Spare Shifts to bring the hours up to the 37 average.
    All overtime at double time.

yunki
    Free Member

about 160 hour week

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

25 min ride to work
    start 7:30, finish 5:15 Mon to Thurs only (37 hrs/week)
    longer 30-35 min ride home (it’s predominantly uphill)

Fri/Sat/Sun off. The missus works all day Fridays so that time is all mine.

Works for me 🙂

Simon

36/wk. 8hrs/day Mon to Thurs, 4 hrs Fri morning. Sometimes do a bit extra if we’re busy, but rarely more than 40hrs in one week. Oh, and my commute is 15mins each way by car or 40 mins by bike.

robowns
    Free Member

35 hour week, +5 hours commuting

samuri
    Free Member

40-50 a week normally. Can go higher if there’s a lot on.

My choice, I want to progress, if it started causing issues I’d have to pull it back.
    And compared to the 80+ hour weeks I used to work it’s a breeze.

cynic-al
    Free Member

40+5 commuting.

druidh
    Free Member

I used to work a 35 hour week, but I’d end up doing a good bit more than that sometimes – another 10-12 hours at times.

I was, however, able to work at home a lot so I’d often haze zero commute time and I could play around with the hours of work a bit so I’d often go for a decent ride at lunchtime and make it up in the evenings.

jam-bo

37.5 now

31 from the 1st september, gone down to a 4 day week so mrs can go back to work and I look after junior for a day. Adventure fridays are on…

birky
    Free Member

36.25 hours, 8:45-5:00 Mon-Fri.
    Commute 15-20 mins each way by car.
    There’s never any overtime or weekend working.

cookeaa

I generally work ~38-45 hours (only contracted to 36.5 but we do acrue TOIL so I can easily have an extra day off each month) my weekly commuting probably comes out at about 10 hours so I spend ~50-55 hours a week either at work or traveling for work, but get more long weekends to spend with my family.

My missus works part time (Or will do when her current stint on maternity leave is up), I like being home to say goodnight to the Kids and spend time with my wife (That is why I married Her).

Its better than it was at my previous employer, less of a culture of presentism and an acceptance that if you’ve done your hours by Friday lunch time and there’s nothing major on then you’re well within your rights to head off…

But Yep I’d be happy with enough money for us to live on and more free time to spend with my Kids…

ononeorange

No fixed times (didn’t realsie anybody worked those now) but usually 55+ hours a week plus 3 hours commuting each day.

Baldysquirt

Depends on what projects I’ve got in my practice and what time of year it is at the university. Split between being employed and self employed means I’m pretty flexible (with both), but can have points when the hours are silly, but other times I can have lots of free time. It’s good for the bank balance (as much as small architecture work can be) with work at the moment, but not so great for free time.

stumpy01

Officially 37.25 hrs per week and normally don’t do much over 40.
    Almost an hour each way commute though, which has quite an impact in the evenings. Used to be a longer commute though and a crap job, whereas I enjoy my job now.

ThePinkster

Contract says 37 hours p/w but usually work over 40, however recently been working on projects (now completed) that were well over 60hrs per week, all with no overtime (thought OT was an urban myth).

Things nice & quiet at the moment so can sneak in the occasional early afternoon but other projects could kick off at any time.

chipps

Supposed to be 10-5.30, but it’s usually 10-6.30 and often 10-8. So about 40-45 on average. I have a short (10 min ride) commute, which is good. I work most weekends in the summer months too and usually run out of time to take all that time off in lieu. I do get to fondle nice bikes, but that’s usually only in my own time evenings and weekends.

brakes
    Free Member

anywhere between 35 and 60 depending on work-load, average is probably about 45.
    out of the house between 8am and 7pm normally.

IanMunro
    Free Member

About 50% of them.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

At the moment 8hrs a day plus an hour travel each way. My next contract will be 9hrs a day plus about about 1hr 20mins travel each way (and an hour earlier start time) – not ideal but the money is a lot better so will grin and bear it for a while.

As a contractor/freelancer I don’t mind long hours as I know I’m not doing it forever – always make sure I take time off – 12 weeks last year.

weeksy

IanMunro – Member
    About 50% of them.

Is the right answer…. although a little excessive IMO

sadexpunk

firefighter on 42hr week. shift changes in the next week which will mean i have to stay over and do night cover as well, so either 4 or 5 days and nights on the trot away from my family, no going home in the evening. im being dragged kicking and screaming into it and been trying to transfer my way somewhere else but been told im staying where i am.

love the job but will hate spending so much time away from family and am considering jacking it in. thatd be a big shame but you only get one life :-/

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

mondays, wednesdays and some fridays i work 9ish until 7.

tues and thurs 9ish till 5.30ish.

saturdays 11 till 4.

hour split between 2 jobs. 1 p/t, 1 ft

54 hours there or thereabouts.

take home about £90-100/week.

😐

MadPierre

Attend: as per my contract 38.25 hours per week (tho the b*ggers have added half an hour on starting soon!).
    Work: errrr… yeah…. I’ll have a look at that in a minute 😉

Work to live. Don’t live to work.

bruneep

Sadexpunk Ygm

weeksy

hungry monkey – Member
    mondays, wednesdays and some fridays i work 9ish until 7.

tues and thurs 9ish till 5.30ish.

saturdays 11 till 4.

hour split between 2 jobs. 1 p/t, 1 ft

54 hours there or thereabouts.

take home about £90-100/week.

WTF ?

randomjeremy
    Free Member

As few as possible. There’s nothing noble about killing yourself working, especially for someone else.

jota180
    Free Member

Some weeks it’s probably near to 100hrs, last week was nearer 5hrs

This week is shaping up to be quiet too, just back from a pre-lunch ride 🙂

john_drummer
    Free Member

39 hour week, plus commute that can take anything from 50 mins to twice that, each way.

Looking to perhaps crunch that into 4 days instead of 5

CountZero

As few as I can get away with. 😆
    37.5hr/week, 8-3.30, not bothering with a lunch break.

peterfile
    Free Member

somewhere between 40 and 120.

more settled now than it ever has been, but can still be difficult when things get busy.

I’d rather have an 80 hour busy week over a 40 hour quiet one though. A 40 hour busy week would obviously be a great balance, but work tends to swing from being very quiet to very busy.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

weeksy – the joys of trying to set up your own company in a recession…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘How many hours do you work?’ is closed to new replies.