Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • How many hours a week do you work?
  • Frodo

…and before you all start this is not about public sector workers…..For once!

Serious question, I’ve been offered a job, a job that I really want. Good security prospects and good pay (a slight improvement in current).

So great where do I sign ….except looking through the small print everything looks good apart from working hours. 47.5 a week or 10 hours a day (08:00 to 18:00). That’s a long day in my industry which can be highly pressurised and burns people out but more importantly I may be home too late for those evening rides!

Currently I work 08:00 to 17:00 which also feels long, although part of that is boredom. I suspect that with interesting work 08:00 to 18:00 will be fine and I should MTFU!

I think I’m going to accept, if nothing else I’ll miss the worst of the traffic!

flip
    Free Member

As little as possible now i’m self employed, i used to work 48 hrs a week 4 x 12hr nights..

I will never work that many hrs again.

Remember summer is on its way!

northshoreniall

Currently 2*12.5hr days itu and additional ad hoc 8hr occ health with probably 1.5-2hr drive either side.

Wife does combo of 08:00-18:00 and 09:00- 21:30 or 21:00-09:30 – averaging 56hr week at moment plus all the extra time spent working there or at home – intensive care/ anaesthetic registrar so burn out/ pressure an issue too, along with never being able to leave on time as those pesky patients rarely appreciate her commute, tsk tsk – bloody public sector workers eh 🙂

Can’t see extra hour being big issue? and as say probably help avoid traffic.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Productive hour? or just being at work?

Please clarify..

redthunder
    Free Member

Virtually none…. or less then nothing 🙂

Northwind

Is the pay actually better, or is it just higher because of the extra hours?

backtothetop
    Free Member

plant operator- start at 7-7.30am every morning and finish when the sunsets normally, or as late as site rules allow. anything from 4pm-8pm.

would love a 9-5 but wouldnt know what to do with all those spare hours

jet26
    Free Member

Hmm average 60-70. Don’t think that’s unreasonable but guess everyone is different….

anto164
    Free Member

37.5 hrs. Mon-Fri 8-4. Cushty.

jackthedog
    Free Member
    oneoneoneone
    Free Member

40hrs. 7-4 mon to thur then 7 till 1 on a friday.

i think its great! might change to a 8 till 5 in the summer

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

39 hours max

Frodo

Ok, should be productive hour of work as their really busy! Pay will actually be slightly worse per hour.

But like I said job security, interesting work and good benefits otherwise.

spooky_b329

60-70hrs per week?!! Sod that for anything less than £75k, and even then, I don’t think I could stick it for more than a couple of years.

I do four days a week 07:30 – 17:10, which is 36 paid hours a week, plus grabbing any overtime with both arms as there isn’t much on offer. On the rare occasions there is a bit of a panic and overtime is thrown at everyone, I may hit 60hrs over six days. Difficult to get much higher than that due to the working time directive, forcing two rest days in every fourteen day period.

chubby_monk
    Free Member

Paid for 37.5. Tend to work anything between 45 and 70.

hofnar
    Free Member

8 hours six days a week doing my house up.

My day job which is on hold is 80 ish 7 to 7 six days a week with regualarly a bit extra and some sunday work though I normally only work 8 months a year

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Contracted / paid for 35 hour week. Usually work 40-45, though that includes working through lunch hour.

junior
    Free Member

60+ on a typical week, plus some at the weekend. Typical lazy Teacher I’m afraid.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Did 12-14 hours/day for years, but that included travel to client sites. 9-5 these days.

winston_dog
    Free Member

40 hours a week when in the office.

Out of the office on a “job” at least 70 – 80 a week. Get extra time off on return mind.

junior – you need to get better at it mate,60+ every week, improve your productivity. Typical inefficient public sector worker.
    Does that include the several months holdiay you get?
    (Puts kettle on and grabs the Hob-Nobs)

Garry_Lager

10 hrs is not crazy at all and could be fine – depends totally on the type of work . I’ve done serious hours before when I worked in a lab and it was great – interesting work that really demanded total commitment if you wanted to succeed.
    OTOH, I do some teaching as part of my current job and find it wipes me out. 10 hrs a day where a lot of it ‘on stage’ in some capacity, presenting to others, would be brutal and beyond the energy levels of most people IMO.

luke
    Free Member

I work on average 20 hours a week.

Karinofnine

28 hours over 4 days. Very occasionally if it’s busy I work some or all of my lunch and sometimes I have to stay a bit late (20 minutes) but I haven’t been kept late for months now.

Pickers

Normally 8 til 5 but contract says as many as necessary
    Rarely more than 45 in a week though
    Time and distance spent commuting will have an impact as well

Edukator
    Free Member

Between 20 and 40. Washing, cooking, cleaning, DIY, cleaning/fixing bikes, maintaining vehicles, looking after property, managing money, taking junior swimming etc., making sure Madame isn’t une femme mal baisée. It’s a hard life (not).

brakes
    Free Member

anything between 35 and 70 – particularly if I’m travelling.
    on average, about 45. pretty low for a consultancy.

Frodo

Consultancy is often better in my sector! 37 – 40 hrs for most practices (civil engineering).

Most contractors 42.5 so 47.5 (+ extra depending on operational needs is quite steep).

john_drummer
    Free Member

39. unless I get in early, in which case it’s a bit more. but not much more
    Mon-Thurs 0830-1700 with 30min lunch break; Friday I finish an hour earlier.

Plus the commuting time 👿

cranberry
    Free Member

Contracted – 40 hours
    Not permitted – more than 45 hours
    Actual – several more than that ( but they will get put down in the flexitime system, and I will get time with my family as a result )

MSP

40 hours, rarely work any overtime, when I do its a bit of a bonus to go into my holiday funds.

Decided a few years ago to switch from the overtime culture, and start actually living life for myself and not for work, ended up in a better paid job working for a company that actually treats me with a modicum of respect. Looking back I realise how I had allowed myself to be manipulated into giving far too many years of my life away.

Get out a couple of times a week with the company cycling club, which is subsidised by the company.

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

Depending on what I’m doing that week, somewhere between 10 and twenty hours actually sat working,probably another ten or so hours listening to demos I’ve been sent or listening to new stuff on the internet, whilst I potter about the house or the studio faffing about and drinking coffee and getting jammy toast all down my front.

If I’m sessioning or touring, it could be anything up to 60 or 70 hours a week.

ps44
    Free Member

Contracted for 32, actually doing and paid for about 50. This is to cover the damage to a private sector pension trashed first by Gordon Brown’s incompetence then by an unscrupulous blue chip employer. Public sector whingers can go whistle as far as I’m concerned.

nickf
    Free Member

Started at 0700 this morning, still going now. Not at all uncommon.

br
    Free Member

It depends, anything from nothing to a lot…

When working though it also needs commuting/travelling, so normally an extra 2 hours per day.

In fact ignoring bank holidays I only had 4 days off from January to November – contractor, and in work.

_tom_
    Free Member

It’ll be about 44 when I get onto my proper shifts.

prettygreenparrot

contract is something like 37.5hours/week. Real life is more than that. But it is fun.

DickBarton

Paid for 35 but last 2 months it’s closer to 50 during the week…wouldn’t be so bad if it was recognised plus last 3.5 month’s it’s been Saturdays as well but they have been paid – which has been nice.

GJP
    Free Member

45-50 hours a week in the office, plus the odd hour here and there in the evenings and at weekends. Contracted for 37.5 IIRC.

But thankfully in the main it is not too stressful. It is pretty much back to back meetings no matter how hard I try to keep my diary free to do some real work, so the evenings are useful to do some actual thinking.

I have probably not had a lunch break for 10 years, i am not complaining and TBH I just thought this was par for the course for everyone in a professional office based job these days.

That said it would have been nice if I had been able to grab 5 mins to go for a poo at some point today

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

job 1 – 10-15/week, as flexible as i like

job 2 (main job) contracted 21hr/week, in reality as many as i can fit in (will drop when ski season starts). as a partner in the business its in my interests to put as many hours as i deem neccessary in. did 11 hrs today, for eg.

hh45
    Free Member

8.15 to 6.45 plus say a few hours at home in evenings and one day every other weekend. Its a time consuming job and you cant earn the fees without doing the hours. its a very direct relationship and fees means wages. I do have a fair bit of flexibility as to when I start and finish, work from home etc. But never miss a deadline or let down a client.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘How many hours a week do you work?’ is closed to new replies.