Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • How many folk have winter bikes?
  • vondally
    Free Member

Intrigued following on from the hardtail thread below……………how many have winter bikes!

coogan
    Free Member

I have bikes I use in winter. Yes. I use them in the summer too. And spring. And autumn.

convert

Winter road (my mud guarded cross bike) and off road (alfine geared steel 29er) bikes here. Works for me.

andytherocketeer

summer too

what’s one of them? 😉

Both my bikes get used all year round. Neither are dedicated to a single season.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Just one at the moment, used all year round.
    Building a new project and guess that will be the same.

khani
    Free Member

Me, SS steel 29er, mainly because when I’ve done a quick ride all it needs is a kick to knock the lumps off. then i can throw it away til next time..
    It’s quite liberating to not worry about gears and stuff.

coogan
    Free Member

what’s one of them?

That’s called the ‘Alps Week’. Thats summer time for me.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Sort of. I have a bike that I will choose to use if I know it is likely to get thrown in the shed after the ride without a clean, but all my bikes get used in winter. What I don’t have is a bike that only comes out at a certain time of year.

cheers_drive

Not so much a winter bike but a muddy conditions bike – a SS rigid 29er.
    Have a CX bike for winter road use too.

rocketman
    Free Member

Not so much a winter bike but a cheap’n’cheerful hardtail I use when conditions dictate. Reliable like a carthorse but not highly strung like a racehorse.

ransos
    Free Member

Winter road bike – mudguards, steel, low gears. I could probably do with a workhorse type mtb too.

Leku
    Free Member

Yes. Started as an Inbred with bits handed down from pub bike which morphed into a Cotic Soul. That got stolen and now it’s a ti hardtail with dropper post etc.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I have a winter road bike for commuting and a summer road bike for commuting. Don’t have a winter mtb though, although the only working one is a rigid steel singlespeed so ideal for winter.

thepurist

I’ve got a FS & HT, but choose not to ride the FS when it’s going to get totally caked in sandy grinding paste, hence the HT tends to get most use in the winter and the FS more use in the summer. Except last year.

vondally
    Free Member

Leku…impressive winter bike

avdave2

I do, rigid with a Rohloff hub at the back and a SON dynamo at the front.
    I commute off road so the bike, and me, gets plastered in mud twice a day for 11.9 months a year. It just needs the occasional wipe of the chain and whatever cheap oil is lying around plastered on it.

fasthaggis

My CX = Winter road bike/comuter(most of the year)/tourer in the Summer.

I only use hardtails ,so there is :-

Best hard tail ..gets used for race/events and big days out.

Not best hard tail ..gets used for winter night rides and training.

I also have 4 back up /reserve bikes 😳

z1ppy

yes, 29er HT, simply it works better in the mud than my FS’ers

ads678

I built an inbred 29er last year and put rigid forks to use through the winter as it’s a commuter as well.

But I still ride the FS for big stuff in the winter, just have to wash it more.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Yep – An Orange Pure 7. However, I’ve discovered that I love riding it in the warmer months too.

andycs

Built a ridged Inbred with the intention of it being a winter bike. I then discovered how much fun it was to ride and ride it more than my 5.

cookeaa

Sort of.

I have a SS MTB primarily for winter mud plugging but it’s also quite good fun to ride it during the summer too so I do.

I have one geared road bike and I’ve just bought a fixed road bike but both are intended for year round use, the fixie is mean’t to take the brunt of my commuting from now on, and the geared road bike will be used for weekend road pootles with mates and the odd commute, up to now it was used for commuting and weekend road riding but I just want the simplest possible commuting bike I can now for minimal maintenance now…

I think it’s more a case of having certain bikes which are more for the summer i.e. I have a Dirt-jump bike which will only come out if the weather is nice, same with the BMX and my DH bike really only seems to be getting “Fair Weather” use now…

Bearing in mind the fact that wet/cold “Winter” conditions seem to make up almost 3/4 of the British year now, it’s probably wiser to invest in all year round usable bikes and kit than heap the cash on a bike you’ll only use for 3 out of 12 monhs and spend most of your time on a scrapper…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

My winter bike is an old Stumpjumper M4 frame with recycled parts bought from here. I’ve used it almost exclusively since my Turner broke. It does the job well, and I don’t worry about it getting trashed on muddy gritty trails.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i have bikes i wont take out in winter save for racing – i wont take my roadie out on a group ride as nothing is less plesent than getting sprayed off someones wheel – winter bike has full guards on.

my carbon frame XTR drive trained MTB rarely gets out the shed in winter – but then i ride my Ti rigid SS instead – just cause its summer doesnt mean i dont ride that though , it rides just as well in summer as it does in winter 😉

AntLockyer
    Free Member

I only have a winter bike.

TiRed

Winter road bike = commuter = fixed wheel with mudguards
    Winter mountain bike = HT with hub gears = summer bike

HT will be singlespeeded for summer months once I acquire some wheels.

breadcrumb

I’m more likely to take my SS HT out when the weathers nasty than my FS. Less (or none) cleaning to be done afterwards.

lucien

Winter Bike(s)
    456 Hardtail – cheap fork
    Inbred – with skinny tyres and rigid fork for the road

Inbetween bikes
    100mm FS

Not wet weather bikes (aka summer)
    140mm full suss, play bike
    200mm bad boy

BoardinBob

Not a specific winter bike, but I generally dont ride my full susser in winter.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The 1×9 HT gets ridden on local trails all winter, while the FS only at winter visits to trail centres. I ride the FS more over the summer.

The HT is just much easier to deal with maintenance and cleaning and quite technically capable as well as fun. It’s just tiring on long days and fast/rough trails.

vondally
    Free Member

is there that much difference in summer and winter these days?

kennyp
    Free Member

Mountain bikes are both all year round. However I do have a nice summer road bike and a winter road bike. Winter one is a heavy crosser fitted with mudguards. It’s still a great bike to ride though.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I use a SS for winter

jambon
    Free Member

Used to have a rigid Surly 1×1 commuter / fat tyred winter bike.

Got knicked though.

kilo

Winter road bike – decathlon triban 3,use it for club runs in winter and it also gets used for commuting the rest of the year
    winter mtb alfine inbred, easy to clean just ride and forget, in summer this tends to get lent to work mates

Kryton57

One bike, just had six months use out of a BB and rear wheel bearings. I know OEM stuff soimetimes is lesser quality, but replacement is still less than a winter bike, as much as I’d like one.

jonba
    Free Member

I have a commuter bike which I use year round and on club runs in winter because it takes mudguards and fat tyres.

I tend to ride my hardtail more in winter as short days mean I do more local riding where a FS isn’t required. For the depths of winter I put on rigid forks as it is just a mud fest.

Still ride the FS but only when it is worth the effort in cleaning it. More that I have a choice of two bikes and I prefer the HT on easier trails.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

winter road bike; 25yr old 531C frame, largely original bits (even BB and headset) – my 16th birthday present rescued from the depths of the folks garage.

winter MTB; Dialled Alpine HT, with durable components. Currently in classifieds, I go so bored of the relentless lousy weather I all but gave up MTBing last year. Its been either ‘worthwhile’ riding (trips to wales or overseas etc) or road riding for me the last 12 months.

luddite
    Free Member

Rigid ’94 Hahanna with home brewed 2 speed singlespeed, is that possible!

Kevevs
    Free Member

I got my road bike out today WHOOOeee. been grafting around on my singlespeed old ’92 rocky mountain vertex shopper/pub/commuter/doitall bike all winter, and the winter has buggered it up (not washed since sept). and to fly about on my fresh mothballed roadie today was a revalation! woof! might have to go for a biglongride this week 🙂 SUN makes so much difference

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘How many folk have winter bikes?’ is closed to new replies.