Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • How many firkin bonfirenights do we need
  • trout
    Free Member

that`s now 9 evenings in a row with my dog hiding under the bed because of the damn fireworks

shifter
    Free Member

I’d be happy if they were banned.

Simon

Dogs or fireworks?

Nomad
    Free Member

I can’t stand fireworks. They’ve been going off every night round here for the last 3 weeks. Scallies setting them off before its even dark and they keep setting them off up to 1 am.
    My Dog is scared shitless of them too.
    Agree they should be banned!

mattbibbings
    Free Member

I wholeheartedly agree! My poor dog goes mental trying defend us fom the explosions. It’s proper stressing him (and us) out.

I’d like to see one night designated each year based on sensible logic (closest weekend night to Nov 5th?) for all firework displays to take place with fens for anyone caught letting them off any other night.

It’s all the random ones that really cause pointless stress to animals.

Drac

Someone on our street had some going again tonight so my dog took the opportunity to watch them from the bay window, he loves them.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Sick of them as well. Dogs freaked out every night for going on a fortnight now. I’d ban them outside of organised displays.

If you want to listen to loud bangs and look at bright flashy things night after night, go and live in Damascus and leave the rest of us in peace.

matther01
    Free Member

10 month old baby + fireworks = f all sleep…bloody inconsiderate winkers!

Bunnyhop

I love bonfire night and fireworks but agree it’s gone on too long. Hopefully in the future there will be the prettyness without much bang.

DezB
    Free Member

its like this every year! Expect to go on until… oooh, about Christmas!

martymac

as a non dog owner, i would be happy to see fireworks banned, they should be at organised displays only imo.
    my cat likes them though.

Onzadog
    Free Member

This year is particularly bad as the 5th was mid week so everyone thinks the weekend either side is fair game as well.

The wife has had to book 9 nights away in the middle on nowhere with the dog.

Most of these people don’t know what they’re celebrating anyway.

GrahamS

Organised display across the street form us tonight. That’s fine.
    Then another private display at the big house. Loud but early enough that I can live with it.

It’s now half 8. Just got the kids to sleep (4 month old and a 3 year old) and someone up the street has begun shelling us.

I will have my revenge:

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

I love fireworks. Reminds me of going to the displays as a kid. Makes it feel like it’s the beginning of winter, and the start of the run up to Christmas.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Nye rolling in soon. Love fireworks I do.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Wouldn’t stop anyone else enjoying them but can’t see the attraction myself. It’s almost refreshing that people can still buy explodey things. 😀

We had to be a bit more creative in Ireland growing up, where, understandably, their sale was completely banned.

Ooooooh…
    Aaaaaah…

yunki
    Free Member

I think it should keep going night after night until the next Guy Fawkes volunteers themselves..

like the burnt toast and the new pope business

every year parliament gets vapourised unless they get voted back in for another term.. that would keep the **** on their toes

PMK2060

Totally agree. It should be bonfire night not bonfire fortnight. I can understand why people pay to go to organised displays but don’t understand why people pay £100’s for their own fireworks when they can look up in the air and watch their neighbours for nothing.

DezB
    Free Member

Most of these people don’t know what they’re celebrating anyway

Course they do. Bonfire Night innit.

tinybits
    Free Member

I really can’t see the issue. And that’s coming from someone who doesn’t really like them, living in the middle if a city with a 3 year old and a 5month old who’ve been woken up repeatedly. It’s just all about living close to other people, if you wanted silence, move away from other people!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

One of my favourite quotes on here ever, think it may have been Druidh. Not verbatim but something along the lines of ‘ in 50 years time, we’ll look back and be amazed that people used to be allowed to buy incendiary devices and people also kept dogs in houses’. Summit like that.

pictonroad

I’m a big fan of both explosive noises and personal freedom, but as I peeled my two year old out of my side of the bed at 1am AGAIN last night I became one more degree intolerant…

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I live in East Sussex. Best time of the year here. We love our bonfires. 😀

wrightyson
    Free Member

Where do you people live? The Beirut of firework land? Is it that bad that your children/pets are frightened into a frenzy? Two kids here 8 and 11 now admittedly but we’ve never had any bother with fireworks. I’m sure If next door were giving it the big “millennium display” at 2 in the morning there’d be issues but houses 10 doors down are hardly causing us bother.

samuri
    Free Member

Loads going on tonight round ours, huge things.

Meh. Our dog barks at them but then she barks at the moon, the postman, the dog next door, nothing at all, mars. You name it.

scotroutes

Close! 😆

ninfan
    Free Member

What I really don’t get is why the local authority/council ones are always on the weekend?

pictonroad

Where do you people live? The Beirut of firework land?

Yes, Sussex..

Not complaining, just tired, it’s been foxes for the week before…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

People have kept animals in their abodes for millennia. How would you come to the ridiculous assumption that people would find it bizarre in a few hundred more? Or was it just a silly question?

grittyshaker
    Free Member

Not just Guy Fawkes Night is it. Its the whole Samhain and guising tradition. If people really knew it was about speaking truth to power and celebrating the equinox there mighht be more of it. Long may it continue.

RustySpanner

My dog has no nose.

scotroutes

🙂

How does he smell?

pitduck
    Free Member

stop whining,fireworks are great 😐

RustySpanner

He can’t. He’s got no nose. I’ve told you that already.

Why does no one bother to read anything properly anymore?

scotroutes

😆

I saw that!!!

GrahamS

It’s just all about living close to other people, if you wanted silence, move away from other people!

I’ve got nothing against people (…mostly).

Just when they choose to detonate a 1000lb fuel-air bomb at the precise moment that we finally get the baby off to sleep 👿

RustySpanner

He’s got no legs either.

He’s called Woodbine you know.

br
    Free Member

The wife has had to book 9 nights away in the middle on nowhere with the dog.

Please tell me you aren’t been serious?

My two dogs aren’t bothered in the least by fireworks, but then as Working Spaniels its probably a good job that load bangs don’t affect them 🙂

Coyote
    Free Member

b r – this is STW don’t forget, the home of the First World Problem.

Houns

Agree that they go on too long. 3 out of 4 of my cats aren’t bothered but the 4th is scared witless of them 🙁 I think it’s the loud screeching fireworks that are the worst for them

I went to a ‘silent’ firework show last week at Bristol zoo (they did have a disclaimer stating that due to weather conditions they couldn’t guarantee silence) thought it was a great idea, sadly they were far from silent and still spooked the animals there 🙁

However, going to a proper big display and having the loud ‘booms’ shaking you to the core is quite fun, sadly going to Sydney every year would be expensive

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘How many firkin bonfirenights do we need’ is closed to new replies.