Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • How many cycle for more than fun?
  • ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I’d love this thread if was on a motoring website… but we’re already mostly 2 wheel converts. sigh.

D0NK

1 – many have the use of a car, rather than no car
    2 – whether or not you have kids
    3 – how far you are from work

lots of people build their life around whether they own a car or not, some have a car and still choose to base it on as little car use as possible. Prolific private transport has completely changed our urban/suburban environment – not necessarily for the good either.

I’ve heard a theory that people set a commute (drive) they are willing to do, look at houses and then think “can I drive an extra 15mins each way to get an extra bedroom/20sqm of garden/20k off the price?”. I bet doing that in most cases ties you to your car for pretty much everything.
    Bleurgh, sounds horrible IMO

amedias
    Free Member

^ that is also how you become dependant on having a car.

Put yourself in a position where you can’t easily get by without one and naturally you’ll start to think it’s essential.

cupra
    Free Member

If I didn’t cycle to work I would hardly cycle at all! We’re looking to move house and one of the key considerations is what my cycle would be like to work.

bob_summers

No car, 1 toddler, 10 miles away from work, 5 days a week. Don’t do “big shops” and hire a car if it’s really necessary (eg camping hols), but that’s not often.

As mentioned above, I’m no eco warrior but prefer the lack of faff not having a car brings. We live in a city centre and parking is either really expensive or a massive headache finding a free spot, just can’t be doing with it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Cant speak for all but in my case I used to cycle to work and due to TUPE and redeployments that were not my choice [ Thanks bankers] I can no longer commute

Given all the crap i need to take with me any commute would not really be practical

I really wish I could commute

edlong
    Free Member

I cycle for work (commuting to, and also travelling between sites for meetings etc) and in fact that has now become the sum total of my cycling. I’m currently grounded from MTBing by the boss until a number of large home improvement projects are completed (which pretty much translates as: I’ve retired from mountain biking).

The full sus mountain bike is now possibly not the most sensible ‘steed’ since it never goes off road. Handy for potholes I suppose.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘How many cycle for more than fun?’ is closed to new replies.