• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • How many calories does it use .
  • trout
    Free Member

To ride a bike 1 mile .

After wading through the long weightloss thread and losing the will to live I got to wondering the above question .

Yes I know it would depend on the persons weight and speed of riding so for a guide lets say .
    100 kg man riding at 15 mile an hour on the flat road in still air how many calories over and above the calories he would use just to live would he burn .

and how many calories in a KG of body fat

jota180
    Free Member

Well not sure of the metric but 1lb of fat is 3500 cal

hilldodger
    Free Member

1g of fat is approximately 9kcals (9 dietary calories)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    donsimon
    Free Member

600kcals per hour would be a rough, very rough guide based on my burning at about 25km/h.

and how many calories in a KG of body fat

Answer.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

7700 calories

Edit….too slow

coolhandluke
    Free Member

😯

I’ve lost almost 10kg on my diet recently, that’s 77000 calories of flab! Just by riding 10 miles or so once every few days, walking the dog 2 miles a day (which I did anyway) and pretty much only eating protien, drinking water and black coffee.

Get in!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I thought they were kcals not cals, so the numbers are even bigger!

DT78
    Free Member

Depends on how fast you ride that mile 🙂

Based on my last 2 hour road ride covering 36 miles I burnt 34.6 calories per mile

3hr 57mile road ride was 34.9 calories per mile.

4hr20min 76mile road ride was 35.8 calories per mile.

All on same flattish (New Forest) terrain. Reckon wind is the difference

IanMunro
    Free Member

Ooh I was just about to say 33 cals per a mile was the figure oft quoted, which tallies pretty well.

DT78
    Free Member

So roughly 1 gram of fat per 9 calories, however most people only burn about 50% of calories from fat when in L2.

My average is L3.5 on those rides so probably 30% of cal burn per mile is fat.

So roughly 1 gram of fat burnt per road mile 🙂

Quick edit 🙂 Oh and thats an 80kg rider on a 7.5 kg bike maintaining 17.8 – 18mph

IanMunro
    Free Member

According to
    http://bikecalculator.com/index.html

You’ll be using 111Watts to maintain 15mph and consuming 25 calories a mile (assuming you’re on a 20lb road bike on the flat)

So that’s 7700/25 = 308 miles.

The human body really is a marvellous thing! 😀

soobalias
    Free Member

so,

30 calories per mile ridden
    300 miles ridden per kilo fat gone

with all the usual caveats and wotnot

trout
    Free Member

quite surprising figures there I though it would be higher cals per mile so based on those figures
    I only have 7392 miles to go to lose 24 kg of the old lard

knottinbotswana
    Free Member

I discovered The Hacker’s Diet after losing my first 10kg and it rather confirmed what I had worked out for myself: diet is as important as exercise. Went on to lose another 15kg after changing my diet.

Took me a year, and weight has been stable for two years since.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

from the old school maths test

– What if there were 2 50kg men riding the bike how many would they burn and would the hole get dug any faster?

(Show Working)

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I would imagine weight loss slows as you get fitter too though, because your body gets more efficient?

turtleheading
    Free Member

Strava say I burn everything I pass, including body fat!

Riding for 1hr I burn (according to garmin) about 700calories. Thats at 18mph commute home.

DT78
    Free Member

Soobalias – not as good as that I,m afraid. It depends on your heart rate whilst covering those miles as your body uses a % of calories from sugars and a % from fat. In my examples it is 1000 miles for a kilo of fat. If you rode within z2 ( ie. Very slowly ) you could improve that by around 20%.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘How many calories does it use .’ is closed to new replies.