Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • How many calories do you eat in a day?
  • poiu
    Free Member

Being intolerant to wheat, dairy and soya I’m struggling to get above 1800 calories/day and I seem to be about a stone under weight.

The government says we should have 2500 calories per day to maintain weight but I just don’t see people eating 800 calorie meals – maybe for dinner but not for breakfast and lunch?

Poiu

geoffj

bearnecessities

Breakfast: Museli is your friend. Dorset cereals; circa 5-600 good calories and a variety of mixes (and tastes good)

Lunch: Fish is good advice; mackerel, salmon (tinned) etc.

Get your calories out of the protein, not the carbs if you can.

footflaps

Judging by my slowly expanding waist line, I suggest ‘too many’ is the answer…..

ton

I eat no cereals (wheat and stuff), dairy (except eggs), or soya.

today menu was,

3 eggs omelette with chorizo and mushrooms

6 toms, 1 red pepper, 1 tub hummus, 1 tub olives and a smoked polish sausage.

1 large lamb steak, 1 egg plant, 1 large portion broad beans, 1 large portion of tomato/onion chutney

I reckon there is enough cals in there to survive on,

footflaps

Also, does wine count? Must be worth a 500 hundred a day (1/2 bottle).

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

about 4000kcal give or take. A large bowl of cereal can be 1000kcal, not sure what you would use as a milk substitute?

taka
    Free Member

6000-7000 is needed to keep my athletic body

skids
    Free Member

I do about 3000 a day but half of that is ice cream and chocolate

footflaps

not sure what you would use as a milk substitute?

Olive oil. Keeps the calorie intake up.

mudshark
    Free Member

I just don’t see people eating 800 calorie meals – maybe for dinner but not for breakfast and lunch?

Having checked the proportion of cereal boxes I go through each breakfast I must come close to 1000 when including the milk and the orange juice I drink. Lunch currently enjoying Boots meal deals where I get 5 to 600 just in the sandwich then add on the smoothie and bar gets me close to 1000 again.

Around 3,500 a day for me I guess, which as I ride 200 km or so each week and don’t lose weight is probably fair enough.

BTW, as a younger man I struggled to put on weight, v high metabolism I imagine.

MrPottatoHead

Dread to think. In junk calories of chocolate, coke and crisps alone I’m on about 800 calories. Breakfast double portion of porridge, 2 slices of toast with peanut butter is easily 8-900 calories. Dinner could probably feed 2 people. All in I’d say over 3000 calories easy. And yes I probably am a little heavy because of it.

OP: have you tried goats milk as a substitue? I heard body is more tolerant of it.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

No where near enough, probs 2000, always on the verge of a bonk! Just never had a big appetite and find eating a bit tedious. I’d actually be happy just having a couple of milkshakes a day if it could get me everything I needed.

schmiken

Check out Paleo cookbooks, plenty of good quality meals all perfect for your needs. The wife and I don’t eat grains, dairy or beans. We tend to have eggs, bacon, ham or salmon for breakfast, meat or fish with salad, plenty of fruit throughout the day and a big evening meal.

schmiken

Also, I tend to eat around 3000 calories a day and use hazelnut milk if I really need a milk substitute (namely smoothies).

footflaps

Check out Paleo cookbooks

In which case, may I recommend this helpful instructional video

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uJVk7yKtIU[/video]

IanW
    Free Member

Drink what you cant eat, works for me.

tony24
    Free Member

Use peanut butter to increase calories 1 level tablespoon is 100 odd add a scoop or 2 into a smoothie with banana and oats and you can add 400 to your diet in a shake simple.

castanea
    Free Member

I aim for around 4500 a day, tends to give me enough fuel to keep my body running and weight stable. Try to get as much protein in there as I can.

nonk
    Free Member

The paleo thing baffles me man I would struggle to convince myself that so much meat is a good thing .
    Not knocking your choice though.

emma82
    Free Member

Probably about 2000/2500 if I’m eating properly, less if I’m eating shite. Loads of calories in nuts/seeds so tend to have about 4oz of those, eggs, avacado. Eat more veg, berries, bananas,eat more fish and meat. Cook with coconut oil. All those have good fats/good calories. Peanut/almond butter is good although I’ve heard some people say peanuts not great and I’m not sure why. Think about 6 meals a day, not just three, so stick another mini meal (and I don’t mean pg tips and biscuits) in between your three ‘main’ meals.

sadexpunk

im around 2800 at the mo. works out around 230 carbs, 110 fats, 200 protein. includes 6 eggs per day.

no breakfast, but a mid morning fruit smoothie with toast and jam.

dinner is 3 hard boiled eggs with paprika just slightly runny inside still nomnomnom :-D, 2 oatibix with whole milk and whey, followed by granary toast and jam. all thats around 1300 cals

tea is 3 poached eggs on toast with a home made beefburger made with chillies, crackers and dijon mustard. followed by porridge made with whole milk and whey again, plus frozen fruit. probably a muller light greek yoghurt afterwards. thats around 1500 cals.

dont eat the same every day but thats about my favourite set of meals so try and stick to it when i can 🙂 i make different courses for my meals, even if 1 course is only toast and jam 🙂

feeling hungry just writing it down, and ive only just eaten it!!

wallop

OP – are you dairy intolerant as a result of the lactose or casein?

geoffj

Some weird diets / meal combos going on.

iainc

Since my dinner 2 hrs ago, a packet of doritos and 4 oatcakes and cheese, so in answer to the OP, about 400 too many 🙂

tomhoward

Anything from sub 1000 when I’m not hungry/cba to cook to 5000+ when I am. Did 3000 in one (golden arch based) meal once.

Over the course of a week it prob works out at 2500 a day…

kinda666
    Free Member

Made myself a 600 calorie meal last night, made me realise I probably eat around a 1500-1800 calorie meal just for my tea.. 🙁

chvck
    Free Member

Not sure how many I eat. Tend to skip breakfast. Have either 3 or 4 eggs on 2 bits of toast (scrambled, poached or omelette – no toast with the omelette) or a baguette with chicken tikka filling. Then a big evening meal. Haven’t died yet and feel fine so figure it’s enough!

geoffj

All you animal proteinavores should have a shufty at this

Quite scary reading in parts though

kinda666
    Free Member

Did 3000 in one (golden arch based) meal once.

On my way to work for a 12 hour night shift I picked up 2 quarter pounders, 20 nuggets and large fries, then went next door to subway and got a 12″ cheese steak and 6″ Italian BMT with the intention of spreading it out over the night.. (I had been out riding in the morning and hadn’t eaten since the ride)
    I’m quite embarrassed by the fact that I ate everything at once, all washed down with a diet coke..

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

I made a lardy cake recently, it was rather nice so I ate it (as you do) it was around 8000kcal. I must be the biggest piggy 🙂

GrahamS

I just don’t see people eating 800 calorie meals – maybe for dinner but not for breakfast and lunch?

Either you are grossly underestimating or you live somewhere surrounded by annoyingly thin people. 😀

800 kcals is very easy to reach in one meal e.g. one portion of chips from the chip shop is about 950kcals and that’s before you consider the battered sausage/fish, ketchup and pickled eggs 🙂

As always I recommend MyFitnessPal as a great free way to learn what calories you are putting in.

br
    Free Member

The government says we should have 2500 calories per day to maintain weight but I just don’t see people eating 800 calorie meals – maybe for dinner but not for breakfast and lunch?

You do when I’m the cook 🙂

GrahamS

im around 2800 at the mo. works out around 230 carbs, 110 fats, 200 protein. includes 6 eggs per day.

sadexpunk earlier:

madhouse

I’m on 1700 but trying to lose a bit of flab at the mo – will second Graham’s MyFitnessPal tip – there’s even an STW forum!

My dinner was 1100 cals so I’d say it’s fairly easy to hit 2500, although your allergies make things a bit trickier – I guess fish and meat would be a good place to start, bar of dark chocolate for pudding too?

CaptJon
    Free Member

Breakfast is where it’s at:

Rice milk shake (with a banana and scoop of protein powder) = 368
    Half banana loaf = 360
    Total = 728kcal

bikebouy
    Free Member

Today I must have consumed ohhh about 5000…A more normal rate would be about 1100

Burp.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

x2 sashets of oats so simple is an easy 500-600 kcals depending on milk

a small handful of chilli/honey roast peanuts, cashew nuts, pistachio nuts is healthy and an easy 300-400 kcals

two rounds of toast with peanut butter 400-500 kcals

crackers and cottage cheese, high protein snack 200-300 kcals

2 croissants 400-450 kcals

^^^some of my high kcal snacks :- D

john_drummer
    Free Member

on a work day
    breakfast: 1 banana
    lunch: morrisons NuMe ready meal, 280-420 kCal; 2 satsumas, 1 pear, one NuMe yoghurt 119kCal
    evening “meal”: morrisons chicken risotto 420 kCal + spin class, 45mins
    OR
    chicken breast with some flavouring & some oven chips

on a weekend
    breakfast 2-3 crumpets
    no lunch
    evening meal chicken breast with some flavouring, oven chips

it must be the beer making me fat keeping me going

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘How many calories do you eat in a day?’ is closed to new replies.