Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • How many blokes to replace soffits?
  • hammyuk
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have paid them -PERIOD,
    Not a chance in hell would they get any money until they were finished regardless of the quote value.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Wait. Has OP already paid?

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Working at height, an area twice the height of where the work is at should be fenced off to prevent falling objects hitting the public.

Greybeard
    Free Member

From your first link:

From 1st October 2015, if you are self-employed and your work activity poses no potential risk to the health and safety of other workers or members of the public, then Health and Safety law will not apply to you.

That’s exactly the point I was making. [/quote]But if you read the whole of that link, or look at the second link, you’ll see that the exemption doesn’t apply to construction work (which includes refurbishment, so applies to replacement of soffits)

cb

The types of material to be used were explained as was a description of what they do in terms of inspecting the house as they replace the existing woodwork. They also stated that they had “their own” scaffold rig and intimated that this would be used for the whole job – certainly didn’t state that they plan to use ladders for the gables!!

The cheapest quote that I have ever had was 3.5k and that was from the window company that fitted new upvc windows and a bi-fold (which was bodged!). They went bust 18 months later…

I seem to be a magnate for this type of result although I had maybe 6-7 quotes before this one including the cowboy type “well it should be 12k but today only etc etc”.

If I can work out the photo function I will try and get some pics posted up.

EDIT – haven’t paid a penny as yet…

getonyourbike
    Free Member

By the sounds of it, it’ll be woodgrain fascia boards and possibly soffit too, and that on a big house so no wonder it’s expensive. Same thing in white would be about £2000…

cb

getonyourbike – its white!

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Jaysus! Thing must be a bloody castle then!

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘How many blokes to replace soffits?’ is closed to new replies.