Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • How many bikes is too many?
  • onewing
    Free Member

Ive got a fleet of bike. Mostly of the gravity flavour. Just wondering what other people have in their collection?

Kona Stinky 2008
    Commencal absolut sx 2010
    Transition bank
    Identiti Krisis sl
    Specialized Pitch 2008
    Specialized Rockhopper 2003
    NS soda slope 2102
    Giant defy 2010
    Giant scr 2007 But total pig.

Was thinking i need something more enduro or xc orientated.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

N+1

SaxonRider

I thought that n+1 was just the right amount! I’m confused. 😕

tomhoward

How many bikes is too many?

Does not compute…

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

N+1 means its impossible to have too many.

Toasty

Run out of house space at 3 for me and 3 for the missus, probably for the best. Five, Scandal 29er and Tricross here to vaguely cover the spectrum.

Surely you have a few there you’ve not ridden in years but can’t be arsed to sell?

tinribz
    Free Member

You only need one bike, the one you’re riding.

And for the next day, a different frame, a few wheels of suitable sizes, and lots of cabling.

onewing
    Free Member

Surely you have a few there you’ve not ridden in years but can’t be arsed to sell?

Toasty that is very true. The Kona is up for sale! But only to pay for my next project!

But the collect needs adding too? i want an Enduro bike, an Alps bike, an xc bike, a 29er. But where do you stop?

stimpy
    Free Member

You stop at S-1 (where “S” is the number of bikes resulting in separation from your partner).

brakes
    Free Member

I think double figures would be excessive

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

If Mrs alandavidpetrie79 was to answer, she’d say 1 is plenty, as you can only ride 1 at a time 🙄

I disagree, so have 3.

1) A Cotic Solaris for trail riding.

2) A Specialized Roubaix for long distance tarmac jonts.

3) A Giant Seek 1 – converted to SS for commuting.

onewing
    Free Member

I did have almost ten but decided that was A bit crazy so spilt some of them up!

I just think i have too many in the gravity line. I don’t do much proper mountain biking like getting out a putting in the miles.
    Just seem to point a bike down a hill and hold on.

aracer
    Free Member

N+2 is too many

Schweiz
    Free Member

As many as you want but with no overlap. Each bike needs a purpose or it won’t get ridden.

bruders338
    Free Member

I also run out of room in the house at 3 but going to invest in a shed 🙂

stratman
    Free Member

Schweiz gives us the answer with Swiss precision. my HT and Anthem do almost the same thing, and I only ride the anthem.

MSP

Tomorrow is a different day, and will therefore require a different bike, same for the day after, and the day after that, and….

cookeaa

As many as you want but with no overlap. Each bike needs a purpose or it won’t get ridden.

+1

Duplication of use results in at least one barely touched toy…

If you feel you need to do some fitness miles might I propose a rigid SS, an all singing all dancing XC or Enduro type machine might seem like the tool for it but a really basic SS is so much less bother and cost to own and 30 miles on a rigid SS will have far more effect on your fitness than the same route on a geared bike… Plus you have to build this with the proceeds from selling an old kona.

earl_brutus

only bikes i have are a road bike, a 4″ full sus xc, a 5″full sus trailbike. 6″full sus alps bike and a race hardtail. And a singlespeed. would like a ti hardtail one day. And poss a 29er. So no amount is too many or enough it would seem

garage-dweller

Differing views here…. 1 vs 5+

rogerthecat
    Free Member

you only need one – a rigid singlespeed made from bits found in the garage or bought cheaply off ebay.

Digger90
    Free Member

n +2 as Aracer says…..

I disagree with Schweiz about not having bikes that overlap, as I have at least 2 that do. Sometimes you just fancy a change. Having an alternate bike is good for the mind, body & soul! 😀

br
    Free Member

I’ve enough ‘shed’ space for two dozen bikes, but after a period with multiple bikes and pretty much every ride at some point wishing I was on one of the others – I’ve only one MTB and one commuter.

cookeaa

Actually re-reading your list I reckon you have alot of overlapping bikes TBH I think you could probably loose at least 3 and still cover the same “riding bases”… IMO of course

ianv
    Free Member

I think I have reached mine with 5 as I turned down an offer of a bmx cruiser yesterday, even though I sort of want one for the track.

Enduro Evo
    Stinky delux
    Operator
    Chameleon
    Road bike

I tried an XC bike but hated it (Scott Spark), now use the evo for that sort of stuff.

Then there my son:
    Big hit grom
    Shred 24
    WTP Arcade

danielgroves
    Free Member

This discussion just makes me jealous. I can only afford one bike and even thats pushing it. My Meta 5.

tonyd

I was going to say N+1 also, but you do have quite a large collection there! We have 8, mine:

Old Cinder Cone (ex commuter, pub bike, and kiddie transporter)
    Soul
    Five
    Storck (road/commute)

Hers:
    Spesh Hardrock (pub bike, kiddie transporter)
    Spesh Dolce (road)

Ours:
    Lemond Spinner (prob doesn’t count)

Eldest (3):
    Isla Rothan

I’m in the process of building up an old Stumpy for her and on the lookout for an Isla Cnoc 14 for the eldest to progress to (youngest will get the Rothan).

I’d love a Ti hardtail also, would prob replace the Soul with a Soda if I could find one and had any money!

mdavids
    Free Member

I’m up to 4 which I think is probably enough, fs trail bike, 29er hardtail, road bike and hybrid/rigid/commuter/hack. I also had something more gravity orientated but sold it to buy the road bike as it was hardly getting used. Cant think of anthing else I want at the moment apart from better versions of what I’ve already got. Although I do quite fancy a fs 29er. So the answer is 6… or 7

tomhoward

In all seriousness. My collection will stop (or at least go to 1 in 1 out) at
    Big full suss – got
    Fast full suss- got my eye on an anthem 29er…
    SS hardtail – got
    Beater/winter/commuter road bike – got
    Nice road bike – soon 🙂

Storck (road/commute)

😯

Toasty

you can only ride 1 at a time

This sounds like a challenge to me. Show her who’s boss and ride all 3 down the street at once.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

😯

Show her who’s boss and ride all 3 down the street at once.

I might be featuring in a YouTube video soon! 🙂

martinhurton
    Free Member

I feel pretty smug with two bikes after reading this. One mountain bike that does all I want it to, and a £50 road bike that I don’t mind leaving outside the college/shops.

The only reason I got the road bike was to save my mountain bike getting stolen when, otherwise I’d have just bought a spare set of wheels with slicks for the mtb and gladly owned just one bike.

How do you decide which bike to take? Does it require endless “which bike for xx” questions before you go someowhere new or do you just take a chance and be disappointed you took the wrong one?

martinhurton
    Free Member

Oh yeah, and what’s wrong with the Rockhopper for XC?

tonyd

tomhoward – I know, it breaks my heart but I can’t manage a 35 mile round trip three times a week on a 93 rigid Kona 🙂

It’s currently got clip on mud guards and about 6 lights hanging off it. Makes me want to weep just typing this, but at least it’s getting ridden!

kharim
    Free Member

Onewing- sure you don’t need a 2013 bike as yours are getting on a bit 😉

Toasty

How do you decide which bike to take?

It depends how good I’m feeling, around this time of year I’m truly terrible so the full sus wins, it goes:

Five -> Scandal 29er -> Tricross

As I gradually improve, then winter hits, I stop riding for 2 months and it all repeats. The Circle of Bike if you like.

gribble
    Free Member

2. I have 2 bikes, my wife also has 2.

Having usually had fat/mud/slick tyres as my bike choices, having a ‘spare’ bike seems a luxury. Best make sure I get out on the bike(s) twice as much?

Is a hardtail a ‘winter bike’ just because if has a rusty chain now?

el_boufador

My problem is finding the time / right system to keep the buggers maintained. I have 2 Mtbs, 1 comuter/ cx thing, and sometimes if i don’t ride one for a while i forget what needs fixing, then the next ride out is semi-self-sabotaged by a skipping chain or whatever.
    Also if you have loads of bikes the wear is spread so thinly you don’t go through parts fast enough to justify buying up to date gear. Or you find the parts you own which have little wear falling into obsolescence due to standards changing. I reckon i could at the top end justify 1 more mtb and a road bike,but that would be it.

br
    Free Member

As I gradually improve, then winter hits, I stop riding for 2 months and it all repeats. The Circle of Bike if you like.

So you’ve 3 bikes, but only ride when its ‘nice’… 🙄

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve three bikes, a steel hardtail, a 120mm full suss and a 160mm AM full suss.

The hardtail does winter riding and commuting duties, the 120mm bike is great for the drier half of the year as it inspires me to put some effort into my pedalling. The AM bike can be a pain to haul around, but if you sit and spin it’ll climb most things…eventually. It’s by far the most difficult bike of the three to set up though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘How many bikes is too many?’ is closed to new replies.