Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • How many bikes have been stolen from you?
  • Helios
    Free Member

1 = 2003 Marin Palisades Trail, about 3 months old. Replaced with a Nail Trail on insurance plus a bit of extra cash I’d managed to save. The Nail Trail frame in a different guise is still my “main” bike… Hadn’t ralsied it was 10 years old until i sat down to think about this… New bike time methinks…

gonzy
    Free Member

had a 1996 Marin Eldridge Grade stolen in 1999 after i’d just spent £400 on upgrading the forks and brakes… wasn’t covered by the insurance so i lost out big time…

last Thursday night my Haro DHR was stolen from my shed…

waiting for the insurance to pay out for this one…

_tom_
    Free Member

0, I must live in a very safe area! I also never have my bikes on the back of the car – always in the boot. Maybe not advertising them helps 🙂

bellys
    Free Member

4 in 8mth.
    Boardman pro hard tail (2008)
    Rockrider 9.2 (2011) 3mth old
    Raleigh arilite 400 road bike..
    On-one 456 carbon taken 8 mth after the top 3 went.

AndyF1
    Free Member

Giant Xtc in 2007,around six months after i bought it

Then Kona King Last year 🙁

smatkins1
    Free Member

1x specialized myka + 9* gold rated lock attached! I bought my misses the bike for Christmas to ride… she rode it once and loved it.

That’ll teach me to keep it in the shed!

Just built her up a new bike 🙂 That’ll be living in the house!

boarder
    Free Member

0 for me so far. Always kept the valuable bikes inside the house and never leave a bike unattended when out riding (ie take them into the loos when going for a pee, take em into shops if buying something etc)

Trust no one is my moto!

bencooper
    Free Member

A lovely old steel Sumpjumper, and a Kingcycle recumbent – both from Uni when I was a student.

And a demo Brompton from the shop.

Oh, and someone who bought an electric Brompton and his cheque bounced.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

3. I grew up in central London so I was always security aware, used Kryptonite d-locks, would take the front wheel off, and look for busier and brighter spots.

Marin Palisades Trail – my first mtb from the mid 80’s, stolen from locked work shed in early 90’s, only d-locked through frame and rear wheel. Probably an inside job given that the shed contained all the spare kegs for the pub, and the lock was intact, but I couldn’t prove anything.

Saracen Hardtrax? – all I could afford as a replacement for the Marin since I didn’t have insurance. Stolen from a parking meter it was d-locked to, but I had insurance this time which allowed me to upgrade to a Marin Bear Valley in the mid/late 90’s which had RST elastomer suspension forks. This actually led me to using the bike as a mtb rather than a commuter and pub bike. My cyclist girlfriend was jealous though and bought a mtb mag to source a suspension fork for her Marin which she’d only bought the previous year. That mag happened to have a route in the Surrey Hills which we could reach by train from London, and from that point we rode it most weekends until we started racing in 98.

Kinesis Crosslight – 2002 – locked with a Kryptonite NY bike chain lock to a fence in trendy Hoxton Sq, Shoreditch, as I was getting to know a girl in a nearby bar. I was gutted since it rode beautifully, I’d built it up myself, I couldn’t afford to replace it, and I could have avoided the loss altogether if I had only taken the bike home first since I lived nearby, but I didn’t do so because the girl might have headed home instead of waiting for me, since we’d already been out to a concert and it was about 2am.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Something that has always struck me at races, particularly those involving camping overnight, are all the bikes left unattended and unlocked.

njee20
    Free Member

People have thought the same at Bristol Bike Fest and Margam NPS, a load of bikes got nicked overnight!

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘How many bikes have been stolen from you?’ is closed to new replies.