Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • How many bikes a day ?
  • womp
    Free Member

i was reading an article earlier which says Canyon can now produce 375 bikes a day, considering they seem to struggle to meet demand and only sell in europe at the moment i was wondering how many bikes the big guys can produce a day ?

atlaz
    Free Member

only sell in europe at the moment

They’re selling in more places than that. The far east, NZ, Australia, middle east.

Anyway, I read that Giant turn out 500 carbon bikes per day (70% their own, 30% for customers) at one factory with a total of 4000-5000 bikes per day in total for this one factory. Supposedly they do upwards of 6 million bikes a year in total so you’re looking at 17000 bikes a day.

midlifecrashes

According to Wiki, Giant made 6.3 million bikes in 2012, that’s 17,260 per day. Not all of them will be branded as Giant though.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

It’s a bit of a “how long is a piece of string” question. As most of the volume of most brands (or at least the big name brands) is made in the same handful of factories. They might (maybe) have their own facilities for their top end carbon wunderbikes. But their volume stuff they will almost entirely buy in complete.

I know of a few brands where their bikes won’t ever actually be touched or seen by an employee of the company, or may never even be in their own premises. Or they may only briefly see the box as it arrives or leaves a distribution centre. Gets built by a third party, packed and shipped by another, distributed by another and then sold by the shop.

I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the volume factories are producing twice what giant do. Or more. But making them for half a dozen different brands.

jambalaya
    Free Member

According to Wiki, Giant made 6.3 million bikes in 2012, that’s 17,260 per day. Not all of them will be branded as Giant though.

25,000 per day? I assume the factories don’t run on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays.

amedias
    Free Member

I assume the factories don’t run on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays.

that’s a mighty big assumption to make…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hell of an assumption, if the kit is doing nothing it’s costing you money, especially when your making for other people.

njee20
    Free Member

Bet they close down for 2-3 weeks for Chinese New Year, but are open every day otherwise

whitestone
    Free Member

Very few factories shut down these days, the start up times for production lines dictate otherwise.

Having recently been to Taiwan for work purposes it’s obvious that they work very long hours: 9am to 10pm is not uncommon, the whole place is a 24hr design and build production facility. Places like Shenzhen, Guangzhou in China are the same.

wwaswas
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘How many bikes a day ?’ is closed to new replies.