Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • How low do you run the tread on your tubeless tires
  • andybrad

Ok so i noticed things were a little more slippery than usual last night. Everything good, trails nice etc but my tires are just over half worn so they have lost all their sipping?

time to replace or run them toll they pop? this is trail kings tubeless btw.

Im a little worried as ive only covered about 700 miles on them. Thought they would last longer.

wwaswas

I usually just put a new one on the front and rotate the front one to the rear (which tends to wear out first, ime).

I think running anything remotely ‘sticky’ is accepting that they won’t have a huge mileage in them and going for grip as a priority.

Onzadog
    Free Member

You’ve noticed a change in performance, when that annoys you, change them. You could save the part worns as fast rolling xc tread summer tyres.

andymc06
    Free Member

I usually use about 5% of the tread then buy something else to see what it’s like and store the barely used one in my garage. I repeat the process until people comment on the number of tyres in my garage then sell some to my friends for next to nothing 🙂

Northwind

Til they stop feeling good or I decide to try something else. Or I have a stupid crash due to my own incompetence that I decide to blame on the tyres, obviously.

So it’s pretty variable, some tyres go off fast, some still can do a job til they’re bald- I’ve got a mostly worn out butcher that comes out for dry races frinstance but other tyres just go crap, nics and nevegals are the 2 that come to mind most.

andybrad

yrs its still running ok generally but i was wondering if there got to a point where by you risked killed the tire and being left stranded due to it being ripped in two?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Got me money’s worth out of this one!

munrobiker
    Free Member

I find these days tyres start disintegrating long before the tread becomes an issue- I’m about to bin a pair of Schwalbe Hans Dampfs which have about 60% tread left but the sidewalls are trashed and the knobbles are ripping off.

soobalias
    Free Member

when my tyres go below 44% tread remaining, i always change them. its just not worth the risk.

as munrobiker has observed once a tyre goes below about 70% tread the sidewalls and knobs can be significantly more worn.

njee20
    Free Member

when my tyres go below 44% tread remaining, i always change them. its just not worth the risk.

Not sure if you’re serious or not…?

I change mine when they’re shagged. Generally this is from cuts and holes rather than tread.

wwaswas

I concur. I had a dreadful experience on a tyre at 43% once.

andybrad

🙂

normally i would run them till i lost a knob (ooh er) or similar but im worried that i wouldn’t get hole f i did that with tubeless. I didnt know of folks running tubeless changed there tires more often or with less rates of wear.

amedias
    Free Member

ah, but with 650b you can often manage to eek them out to 41 or 42%, marginal gains an’ all that…

Northwind

andybrad – Member

im worried that i wouldn’t get hole f i did that with tubeles

Yes, some women are very picky about these things

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘How low do you run the tread on your tubeless tires’ is closed to new replies.