Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • How loud can a neighbour's party be by law?
  • spacemonkey

Our neighbours own the field immediately next to us (it’s part of their garden) and are having a party tonight. Marquees and sound station in place – now going through sound checks which are &*^&ing seriously loud. Wouldn’t normally mind much, but we’ve an 18 month old monkey to think about here.

How far can they push it and to what time? Any particular steps we can take? Can’t find much on t’ webternet.

And no, we’re not invited because they’re never around (they own several houses) and subsequently don’t know them. The husband did pop round a few days ago to warn there would be noise and was disinterested when we asked them to consider others.

Ta

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ain’t they gotta shut it down by 11pm or something?? You can of course phone plod and complain if it’s too loud/late ohhh and some councils have hotlines for this kinda thing.. check yours.

spacemonkey

That’s what I was hoping but our council’s website states there is no law regarding times or level of noise. Nice. Am thinking there might be some “countryside” law that somehow applies?

Markie
    Free Member

Here in South Oxfordshire, noise should end at 23:00. That said, our neighbours behind had an epic party (which did end at 23:00) when Ms Markie Jr was 14 months or so and I was ready to go round and slaughter them by about 21:30!

Good luck.

http://www.southoxon.gov.uk/services-and-advice/environment/noise-and-nuisance/noise-0

Ensure that the music is turned down so that it is not audible outside your property after 23:00. The best way to do this is to go outside and check.

For outdoor parties we recommend that you move inside after 23:00, to minimise noise disturbance to your neighbours. Close any windows where noise may escape and affect neighbours.

Edited to say that this is not covered by a specific law, but by laws relating to “statutory nuisance”.

thv3
    Free Member

Depends where you are for a start in terms of legislation.

Generally, if you have all the windows and doors shut, if you can hear the music above the level of your TV then it will breach the statutory levels. The levels also change with the time period, with the quietest period between 11pm and 7am.

I’d ring your local council for advice on acceptable levels, don’t put up with it for too long as depending where you are it may take time for a visit. I certainly wouldn’t wait past 11 if its still taking the mick.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I don’t think there’s any stautory level – esp for a one-off.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Is it not possible to have a chat with them and ask them to keep it a bit lower and make sure it goes off at a certain time due to the small monkey? That said, everyone is entitled to make a lot of noise *occasionally*, but they need to ensure it’s fair to those around. Likewise you chose to have a kid so have to accept that sometimes there’s things that other people do that will cause you to have sleepless nights.

We generally put up with parties as they’re rare and we don’t have kids, I suspect if we did we’d be seriously miffed but when we have poker night and beers it’s often just as noisy. It is a holiday weekend, not mid-working week though bear in mind.

damo2576
    Free Member

Personally, my rule with neighbours is one night a year, anything goes.

ton

relax, get the barbie out, enjoy their music, have a good drink.
    and dont worry about you youngster, kids are pretty robust, and always catch up on sleep.
    life is too short to get worked up by other people having fun, cos one day, you might be the other person………. 😀

singletrackmind

My friend Richard is a EH enforcement officer , covering noise .
    If it kicks in and is proper loud ( ie hear it inside with doors and windows closed ) get on the phone asap .
    The EH will have an officer on call who will come to your house . Dont worry about noise meters and all that nonsense . If they decide the noise is loud enough to annoy ,then thats all they need .
    They will TELL the party hosts to turn it down .
    Did they not invite you ?
    Or even be polite enough to say ” Look , We are having a party, but it will all be over by 11 ish , its a one off”

IanMunro
    Free Member

What damo and ton said.
    If it’s a regular occurrence then it’s obviously a different matter, but otherwise take it on the chin.
    At least they’ve actually came round to forewarn you which is a courtesy many don’t bother with.

convert

Personally, my rule with neighbours is one night a year, anything goes.

This – only maybe 2 or 3 nights a year and as long as it’s reciprocated. I’ve had neighbours that had one rule for them and another for everybody else in their eyes.

yossarian
    Free Member

wot ton said.

I’d gatecrash and drink loads of their beer myself.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I would buy balloons and a catapult and have some fun later on 😉

Once a year is fine but I would still want to be in asleep by midnight iwth young kids.
    As doubt this will happen i would go visit someone for the night.

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

Report to the authorities that you suspect a ‘Rave’ might be taking place. Sections 63/64 of Criminal Justice Act cover these issues I think.

To be honest though, it sounds like exactly the type of event I would very much like to be attending 😆

Appreciate the issues with the little un, but for 1 night… gatecrash and have a top night 😈

Drac

What Ton said, parties never did or do my kids harm they sleep right through them.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I think once you start stressing about it your only going to wind yourself up all the more, if this was a regular occurring then you would have cause for complaints, it would of been nice if the neighbour invited you, unless its for a wedding or something. Get some earplugs and chill.

restless
    Free Member

I have spent the last two years filling in forms for my EH dept regarding excessive noise, music and anti social behaviour from my neighbours. Nothing has been done
    apart from the odd letter being sent out and the EH officers only work office hours around here and won’t come out on spec. I think if your neighbours had a one off party then never mind , kids will sleep through most noises, especially babies.

theboatman
    Free Member

The husband did pop round a few days ago to warn there would be noise and was disinterested when we asked them to consider others.

I probably be pretty disinterested if I received a lecture when doing the courtesy call. If it’s just one night, not really an issue, seems a good excuse for a bit of extra Saturday night booze as per ton’s advice.

Edukator
    Free Member

Once in a blue moon at the end of the garden, live and let live, ask for an invite.

Thaat said when the people in the ski flat next to us were still going hard at three in the morning and wouldn’t answer the door we (I wasn’t the only getting a bit weary of it) went to the electric board and swithched them off.

angeldust
    Free Member

If it’s a once or twice a year thing, lighten up and get over yourself.

elzorillo
    Free Member

This

CaptJon
    Free Member

crash it

roach

Could always facebook it? They’d think twice next time. 😀

mu3266
    Free Member

Throw it on gumtree and it could be a real world Project X.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1636826/

donsimon
    Free Member

+ another 1

nealglover
    Free Member

relax, get the barbie out, enjoy their music, have a good drink.
    and dont worry about you youngster, kids are pretty robust, and always catch up on sleep.
    life is too short to get worked up by other people having fun, cos one day, you might be the other person……….

100% this

It’s a party, it’s a bank holiday weekend.

Can’t see the problem really.

My friend Richard is a EH enforcement officer , covering noise .
    If it kicks in and is proper loud ( ie hear it inside with doors and windows closed ) get on the phone asap .
    The EH will have an officer on call who will come to your house . Dont worry about noise meters and all that nonsense . If they decide the noise is loud enough to annoy ,then thats all they need .
    They will TELL the party hosts to turn it down .

100% NOT this 🙄

It’s Saturday Night on a Bank Holiday weekend FFS.

It’s not a regular thing, so what’s the problem ??

I would Hate to be your neighbour that’s for sure. And it’s attitudes like that that led me to move to house with no neighbours for a mile or so in all directions.

+ ….Kids will sleep through anything if they are tired.

Adults sometimes just use the kids as an excuse to moan about stuff They don’t like.

ebygomm
    Free Member

The thing is there’s loud and there’s loud

A party once a year where you can hear the music is one thing, when you can’t even have a conversation in your own house because of amplified music is an entirely different matter. I’ve called the police for the latter and would do it again.

Some people seem to think that informing people of a party is a licence to be as loud as they like, it’s not the case.

arcane
    Free Member

I don’t think the law should even come into it.

What actual harm will it do to you to let them enjoy themselves?

The way you have described things makes it sound like a fairly rare event, and also as though it’s being organised quite well.

Any action by one person spoiling the fun of many because a few people can’t sleep in silence is actually really messsed up. It’s a kind of attitude that’s causing a lot of problems in society today.

Junkyard
    Free Member

does that not work both ways?
    One person in a street has a party so loud many in the street cant sleep..problem is many think they can do as they please and if it infringes on others sleep then tough shit…that is the problem these days.

think the issue is loud an loud actually as well which I did not consider before

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Were is the party lardy?
    Wish my neighbours were this exciting i would put a request in for Voodo Ray or Silverbullet and hip-hop body pop my way round the garden. All we get is Britains got talent.

arcane
    Free Member

“One person in a street has a party so loud many in the street cant sleep”

If people really truly cannot sleep because of a party in the next garden, they have a whole heap of problems they need to look into that have nothing to do with the neighbours having fun.

bruneep

so how goes it?

Burls72
    Free Member

Should be in full swing at the moment, so how loud is it?

Edit: To slow!

Jamie
    Free Member

[dancing]

It’s awesome!

[/dancing]

Junkyard
    Free Member

are you now claiming noise does not keep people awake and they have personal issues other than the noise ?
    😕

Nope no I really cannot refute such a well reasoned point as that
    Awesome debating

drookitmunter
    Free Member

Go round and punch every one of them in the throat

smell_it
    Free Member

singletrackmind

me ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would Hate to be your neighbour that’s for sure. And it’s attitudes like that that led me to move to house with no neighbours for a mile or so in all directions.

You dont know me . You have never met me . Someone asks for advice on what could turn into an all nighter . He has a young child . I dont . He has a rave going on next door . I dont .
    So , what can you do ? Ask a question of how loud it can be and still be legal on the interwebnet . You never know someone might know the answer .

The majority say let them get on with it , but this isnt answering the question .

We even have someone questioning your state of mind if you cant sleep with 800watts of Marshal power amps turned up to 11 in next doors garden 🙄

cynic-al
    Free Member

So…how’d it go?

Was the party as bad as the flaming on here?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘How loud can a neighbour's party be by law?’ is closed to new replies.