• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Keva.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • How long would it take you you to ….
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

Transplant parts from one frame to another?

Headset will be fitted already and crown race is split.

mech cables undone
    remove back brake and clips
    undo stem bolts
    remove mechs
    remove crank arms
    remove BB
    remove seatpost

to fit to new frame – reverse process

60-90 mins max – is that about right?

soobalias
    Free Member

with no mucking about, i would be allowing 2hrs

of course if you have a ride planned……

thomthumb
    Free Member

4 hours to do a proper job; including replacing cables, breaking brake lines and topping up, greasing everything, re-indexing gears and getting saddle height / controls spot on. including plenty of teas/ coffees.

i am not a pro though.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Yea 2 hours including setting up the mechs.

To increase speed buy 2 of the same headsets and have one on each frame.

grumm
    Free Member

Would take me 2-3 hours I reckon.

rOcKeTdOg

Headset will be fitted already and crown race is split.

mech cables undone
    remove back brake and clips
    undo stem bolts
    remove mechs
    remove crank arms
    remove BB
    remove seatpost

chain, bars, grips etc?

couple of hours doing it carefully i reckon

fourbanger
    Free Member

I just fully stripped my GF’s frame down to be powder coated, including very carefully drifting out the CK headset, in 45 minutes, which I was quite proud of. Not that it really helps, I’m just willy waving.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Bars and grips don’t need to be touched, probably don’t need to break brake lines. Chain is a 2 minute job if it’s power-linked. 5 minutes if not. No Headset issues and I reckon it would take about an hour, possibly less.

philconsequence
    Free Member

all weekend if you’ve got the right company, drinks and distractions 😀

fourbanger
    Free Member

Yeah, how much time do you have? The task will inevitably expand to fill the alloted time and then at least 45 minute of the beginning of your planned ride time.

druidh
    Free Member

mmmbop to Ragley Ti was a dawdle 🙂

racing_ralph
    Free Member

RD – bars/stem/grips/shifters/levers will all be connected – take stem off fork, put forks into new frame, bolt stem on front end – done!

benman
    Free Member

Longer than you think! I’d hazard a guess at 3 – 4 hours for a thorough job. It will seem like you’re ‘almost finished’ after 2, but then takes another couple fettling with gears and brakes… Rear brake lines always seem to be the wrong length!

IA

Took me about 1hr30 last time I did it, taking my time. Could easily half that if I needed to.

Basically it depends if you know there’s anything going to give issues, like needing to bleed brakes/shorten hoses etc etc.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

no brake stuff to do 🙂

IA

Also factor in things like realising you need more gear outer/ferrules and nipping to the shop. And it takes longer if you decide to clean all the parts properly once removed, prior to fitting to new bike.

Keva
    Free Member

so you’re fitting the same forks to a different frame and the head tube length is the same (or roughly the same so it fits) ?

when I changed the forks on my bike last I had to wait a couple of days for a brake mount adapter kit, then it still didn’t fit so I had to nip to the shop for some spacers.

what about cable outers ? they’re usually diffent lengths.

it’s take me a few hours to do that lot probably 4. If I had a bike stand it’d certainly make it easier.

Kev

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘How long would it take you you to ….’ is closed to new replies.