Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • How long to ride John O'Groats to Lands End?
  • SST
    Free Member

Assuming you have a normal life and can't take all day about it?

uplink
    Free Member

on or off road?

Big-M
    Free Member

10 days, 80-100 per day, on road.

SST
    Free Member

sorry – half and half I think? Road where necessary, bridalways etc where possible.

speaker2animals

How fit are you? How used to riding with gear? Used to riding big distances on multiple days (after a week you'll probably be used to it). 3 to 4 weeks I reckon. Have you got back up to carry extras for you so you can ride with just a day pack?

algarvebairn
    Free Member

Will John O'Groats be happy about you riding him to Landsend? 😀

Taxi!

grim168
    Free Member

10 1/2 days on tourers last year all road. Fully loaded camping in shit weather. Straight after we said never again but I'm starting to think about doing it again. Next time I'll take longer and try to see more. Have a look at the ctc forum which has a dedicated board. http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=22&sid=78b9ad943f4e1c27443a6b8eddc3128f Hardest bit is getting to start and back from finish.

Graham

kcr
    Free Member

Another point to consider is that it will take longer than riding Lands End to John O'Groats. LEJOG is the preferred route because of the prevailing winds.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Another point to consider is that it will take longer than riding Lands End to John O'Groats. LEJOG is the preferred route because of the prevailing winds.

Surely it is quicker if you start at JoG – it's downhill all the way.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Depends how fast you ride.

Bernaard
    Free Member

Did it last Sept in 12 days.
    Powered by Guiness too.

woody2000

What does that mean? You want to get it done quick as poss? Some mates of mine did it in 6 days last year, but they're all reasonably fit. I think a good average is 100 miles a day, so ~10 days

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Once met two ladies on horseback, all kitted up with gear etc. Upon asking where they were riding to they told me they were doing JoG-LE via bridleways, reckoned on taking about six weeks all found. Obviously they had to rest the horses for several days along the route but it still sounded an epic ride.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

At your leisure.

SST
    Free Member

What does that mean? You want to get it done quick as poss? Some mates of mine did it in 6 days last year, but they're all reasonably fit. I think a good average is 100 miles a day, so ~10 days

Needing to book time of work, family to get back to etc.
    It's not me btw, it's my son 🙂

pegasus
    Free Member

One of the advantages of doing it JoGLE is the availability of more trains and connections at LE. At the end of a long trip we were glad not to be hanging around and could get back to Cardiff and get pi$$ed on the train. Me and a mate did it in 11 days, saddlebags only and stayed in YHAs,(make sure you book in advance). Nothing tastes as good as a pint after 100 Cornish miles!

joemarshall
    Free Member

Apparently it takes 6 days 8 hours 43 minutes on a unicycle.

http://www.redwelly.co.uk/end2end/wordpress/

Although those two are quite silly fit.

Joe

pullfaces
    Free Member

How old is your son?
    I did it when I was 15 with some friends in twelve days, staying in Youth Hostels. It wasn't a holiday. We were either cycling or eating everyday, all day. Mind you we had terrible weather too, including headwinds all the way to JO'G. The second worst day was the shortest day – the flat plains through Cheshire were just into a gail at about 10mph flat out. The worst day was riding for 100 miles in snow and hail in Scotland in July. I bought some thick ladies tights from a Boots we went past as I only had shorts with me.
    But thirty years later I'm still cycling so it must have had some sort of positive effect on me. I don't think it was the tights, I've only ever bought bib ones since.

Flaperon

If you can't take all day about it, you're going to have to average just under 100mph to manage it in 9 hours, your typical working day.

grim168
    Free Member

We did one way hire van to penzance and brother picked us up at jog

ourmaninthenorth

44 hours, 4 minutes and 20 seconds to cover 874 miles if your name is Gethin Butler.

myheadsashed

there's a LEJOG forum on the CTC website all the info you could ever need 8)

Pickers

My dad did it over about 6 weeks when he was 70.
    But he rode out to the start.
    And then rode home afterwards….

Suggsey
    Free Member

I did it with Bernaard, powered by cask ale and Glenmorangie. My advice is pick the most scenic route and take as long as you can. I am having to go back up to Glencoe and explore as there were times that whilst you could stop and take in the views when you are contending with loads of visitor coaches on the roads both up North and down South (depending on which way round you do it) you have to concentrate and be alert on the roads.
    We took a scenic 935 mile route starting at Lands End some of the Cornish coastal road, up over Dartmoor up through Shropshire (beautiful countryside and much underated) then up the east coast of Northern England via Shap (actually not that much of a hill just a gentle climb with great views) and then east coast of Scotland then cut across up the side of Lock Lomond and Loch Ness through Inverness and up the west coast via Dornoch.
    The last couple of days were tyresome as we were developing tendonitis and saddle sores and had averaged about 8 pints a night as calorie loading. We had a full support vehicle that r'vd with us every 25-30 miles to swap drinks bottles and take photos and with the inevitably needed spare wheels when spokes gave out.
    We too said 'Never again' as on the lsat two days we were into a wicked head wind that as it swung round would blow us across the road. Two days after getting back I would jump at the chance to do it again and again and agian.
    Which ever way you do it and however you do it there will be times of agony and times of ecstasy, I am jealous……….. 😀

yetiguy
    Free Member

doing this jogle event later this year (the scenic route) 1000 miles = 9 days

Yardley_Hastings
    Free Member

did it over 3 weeks a few years ago on a trip organised by saddle skedaddle, a lazy way of doing it but it gave us loads of time to take a look around along the way. Thoroughly recommend this approach since its unlikely you'll do it twice and its a great way of seeing your country.

Also I'd recommend finishing at JOG, the disappointment associated with arriving at tat-central which is Lands end after 1000 or so miles must be crushing

Ti29er
    Free Member

sst.
    Are you riding a mountain bike or a road bike?
    I assume it'll be a wide-tyred mtn bike since you mention you'll be doing both road and off-road routes, so I'd allow 2 weeks from what I've read and heard.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

4 days 22 hours 40mins or so

I would however recomend picking a more scenic route off some main roads as they likely to be more dangerous now than when I did it

CTC website is probably full of advice

crazy-legs

Also I'd recommend finishing at JOG, the disappointment associated with arriving at tat-central which is Lands end after 1000 or so miles must be crushing

JOG isn't any better either!
    I used to work in Kendal which was obviously listed as one of the recommended routes, we used to get cyclists in all the time on the LEJOG – usually with broken spokes. Some of them were doing it entirely self sufficient, camping en route etc and the bikes weighed a ton!

geoffj

So that's what Le Jog is <penny drops> 😆

rob1984p
    Free Member

Did JOGLE with a couple mates that had done no real training (one was a downhill mountain biker and one was a national standard rollerhockey guy) in 10 days with a support van and just barbags for storage on the bikes.

I reckon 7 or 8 days with luggage is very achievable for the average cyclist, this average cyclist might have a go next summer on his Thorn Sherpa heavyweight.

alpin
    Free Member

my mate's old man completed it last summer. it took him 9 days with his missus driving. she'd meet him for lunch after ~40 miles then he'd ride on another ~60 and meet her again in the evening…

skidartist
    Free Member

I bought some thick ladies tights

She wasn't that thick if she got a decent price for some old tights

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘How long to ride John O'Groats to Lands End?’ is closed to new replies.