Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • How long to rest / not ride after a big stack?
  • mindmap3
    Free Member

I had a big stack yesterday morning which resulted in me being out for five or six minutes and taken to A&E. My head took the brunt if the impact judging by the state of my face and helmet. Apart from being really sore I dint feel too bad. I was just wondering how long people on here would leave it before riding again? I was supposed to be riding tomorrow night but am not sure it’s the best idea.

The ambulance crew were ace as were the A&E crew ( even if they did cut my t shirt off me). Spinal boards are mega uncomfortable though.

eightyeight
    Free Member

I’d give it at least a week. Sounds a lot, but the effects of a concussion can be latent.

Also, I’ve fallen off and not found the resulting cuts and bruises until the following day.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I as thinking about the same…my shoulders are bloody killing today.

It was a drop that I’ve done loads but someone has built a lip on it. I hit it a big quick and bloody flew. The guys I was with said I was a fair height when I came down. Face X-rayed to check for broken cheekbone and eye socket. Need to get a new helmet too….not sure I trust it after that!

eightyeight
    Free Member

Bin the helmet for sure, before it gets mixed in with any other you have and you can’t remember which one you were wearing.

This definitely didn’t happen to me.

funkrodent

Give it a few days minimum. Also, if you’ve had a big blow to the head, keep an eye out on yourself. If you start getting headaches, or the daylight is too bright, or you start having mood swings etc get yourself down to A&E mighty quick. Often damage can be caused to the brain (bleeding, swelling) that isn’t picked up (or noticed) immediately but which can be very dangerous if not treated quickly

Northwind

Leave it til it feels better. Don’t rush it, don’t sit around for weeks thinking “I feel fine but maybe I should leave it a bit longer”, just let your body let you know.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As per @funkrodent’s post. I’d say assess things after a week, how do you feel etc. If you do want to go out and about why not take a walk/hike or as a minimum just do a gentle xc ride. A second big fall could be really serious. Definitely a new helmet.

mindmap3
    Free Member

The helmet is already in my collection of broken lids so won’t be getting used again.

Hate to think what it would gave been like without it! My other half is keeping a close eye on me at the mo.

Wozza
    Free Member

Get yourself rested up, tomorrow is too soon if you’ve been to hospital!

Get well soon.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Cheers buddy. At least the bike is ok.

sweaman2
    Free Member

If you’ve been out for that long then I’d give it a while. If you can see if somewhere will give you the impact concussion test. Without a baseline it isn’t as useful but it would still help you evaluate how you are. Even when you think you’re okay it’s the increased risk of a subsequent impact that has to be considered.

It’s very difficult to make generalizations. I have one friend who is still off the bike almost a year after a seemingly innocuous crash and another who was cleared within 10 days following an spectacular wipe out a whistler.

twonks

I had a big stack that lost me 30 minutes thanks to a slapped head. Didn’t lose consciousness but didn’t have a clue about anything for half an hour which was very surreal and odd at the time.

Although I felt ok the next day – apart from a headache – two days on I felt like I’d been hit by a train.

Think I must have hit the ground like a sack of spuds as every muscle ached, especially my legs.

In 20 years of gym going, I’ve never had such intense muscle soreness.

So I’d expect you to be suffering tomorrow and be off the bike 7 to 10 days at least.

patriotpro
    Free Member

When are you booked for BPW again mindmap?

mindmap3
    Free Member

BPW isn’t until July. Antur is next month but until then nowt is planned.

Aching big time today; my shoulders are super sore and the bruising around my tee is spectacular. I’m taking to at
    East the weekend OCD. Had a food week last week where u ride five out of the seven days.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Get well soon dude.

martinhutch

Echo the above – 5 to 6 mins is a long time to be out cold. I would have thought that even a week is a conservative estimate, unless you’re planning on some ultra-mincing XC-style riding.

It’s quite possible that you’ll get some after-effects cropping up for some time, although you might be fortunate enough to avoid them. You (and partners, friends etc) should keep an eye out for stuff like mood changes like irritability, depression, or headaches, tinnitus, forgetfulness etc, and don’t be shy about going back to your GP to discuss them.

Get well soon.

mindmap3
    Free Member

God that last post makes no sense…hello space cadet!

passtherizla
    Free Member

Hahahahaha brilliant!!!

chiefgrooveguru

Mindmap, look at all your posts since the crash – your brain needs some time off! Get well soon. 🙂

mindmap3
    Free Member

I think you’re right.

My shoulders are fubar’d today. Won’t be riding for a bit I don’t think.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

I had a stack at Glentress a few weeks ago, didn’t even think I hit my head that hard but a week or so afterwards I was having issues with finding words and so on, especially when under stress (brain works differently in that situation) so with a stack like yours I wouldn’t be surprised if something similar happens.

Take it easy, and don’t be afraid to go back to hospital if you need to.

Healing vibes sent!

oli82
    Free Member

This in Hopwas? Which one is this, I don’t want to hit it on a night ride 😯

mindmap3
    Free Member

Yup was in Hopwas. Was at the end if one of the DH runs that I’ve done loads. The drop has been built up and had a lip on it, I hit it way to fast so was pretty high when I came down on the transition….on my head! My Stanton is unmarked though. Tough little thing that.

mindmap3
    Free Member

my face Sunday night….the left eye is now very purple.

I look like I’ve been beaten up outside the local boozer!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘How long to rest / not ride after a big stack?’ is closed to new replies.