Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • How long to hold a stretch? (Stiff muscle & injury content)
  • TerryWrist
    Free Member

The effect of stretching on sports performance and the risk of sports injury: A review of the literature
    Author(s): Gremion G.

Citation: Schweizerische Zeitschrift fur Sportmedizin und Sporttraumatologie, 2005, vol./is. 53/1(6-10), 1422-0644 (2005)

Publication Date: 2005

Abstract: It is generally accepted that increasing the flexibility of a muscle-tendon unit allows a better performance and decreases the number of injuries. Stretching is regularly included in warm-up and in cooling-down exercises. However, contradictory findings have been reported in the literature. Since 1980, several authors have suggested that stretching has a beneficial effect on injury prevention. In contrast, since 1990, clinical evidence suggests that stretching not only does not prevent injuries, but can also decrease the level of performance. Some part of these contradictions can be explained by the various sports activities and the eclectic group of athletes studied. Sports activities requesting an increased flexibility, such as gymnastic, dancing, ice skating or diving, necessitate pre-exercise stretching to optimize the level of performance. In contrary, for sports with slow stretch-shortening cycle (SSC) such as jogging or cycling, there is no scientific data showing a positive effect of stretching on performance, injury prevention and recovery. On the basis of the literature this article reviews the interest of the pre- and post-exercise stretching on the different modalities such as range of motion improvement, injury prevention and capacity of recovery.

Ti29er
    Free Member

BWired.
    YOu asked: "Really, I don't think you mentioned it before."

But the info from others does rather point to the whole stretching when cold being something of a mistake. This fits with last year's experiences. Warm the muscles and then perform the stretches seems to be one logical conclusion thus far, somewhat awkward when you're off the bike! Anecdotal evidence seems to point to injuries improving over time with a regime of stretching though.

BadlyWiredDog

I was being ironic.

Ti29er
    Free Member

No you weren't, you're now back pedalling to cover your error.

monksie
    Free Member

No, he was being ironic. He really is very good at it.

BadlyWiredDog

I really was being ironic, I've lost count of the number of times you've mentioned your quest to get into the top five at 24/12. But if it makes you happier to think that I wasn't, then that's fine with me as well. Neither are of particularly earth-shattering importance really.

TerryWrist
    Free Member

Swap golf for mountain biking in the following article:

Opinion: Who do you think you are?
    Author(s): Old, John

Citation: International Journal of Sports Marketing & Sponsorship, April 2008, vol./is. 9/3(162), 1464-6668 (Apr 2008)

Publication Date: April 2008

Abstract: It has often been suggested that the reason why many people take up golf in middle age is because it is the one sport where you can still entertain the delusion of being in possession of a rare, if untrained, talent that, if properly nurtured, or simply discovered, could lead to competition at the highest level.

Ti29er
    Free Member

BDW.
    Your maths is extremely poor, or do you only have two fingers (used to stick up at people)?

BWired.
    YOu asked: "Really, I don't think you mentioned it before."

It's ironic that my "back-at-you-in-BWD-style" went completely over your own head.
    N'er mind, eh?

Thanks to those who read the question and chose to answer with information.

BadlyWiredDog

Sorry, that went completely over my head. Good luck at 24/12, I hope you manage your top five finish 🙂

Ti29er
    Free Member

Now there's irony for you (or just plain stupidity) – since I told you I'm off the bike for 2 months in the opening gambit!

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Haven't read all the posts on the thread, but have been suffering from quite a few injuries this year. My Physio has me doing stretches three times a day, holding for thirty seconds. Seems to work for me.

DWH
    Free Member

Thanks to those who read the question and chose to answer with information.

No problems matey, I always try to help out when I can.

Tell you what though, to save a bit of time why don't you just tell us the answer your looking for and then we can agree with you. It will save all this ridiculous 'opinion' stuff.

And are we currently supposed to be quoting peer reviewed whatever or have we switched back to anecdotal mode?

And I'm not trying to be ironic. I'm trying to be really helpful.

Shit, no – that last bit was ironic after all.

TerryWrist
    Free Member

And are we currently supposed to be quoting peer reviewed whatever or have we switched back to anecdotal mode?

Dunno. This peer reviewed article says that peer review is biased.

Systemic bias in peer Review: Suggested causes, potential remedies
    Author(s): Kadar N.

Citation: Journal of Laparoendoscopic and Advanced Surgical Techniques, March 2010, vol./is. 20/2(123-128), 1092-6429;1557-9034 (01 Mar 2010)

Publication Date: March 2010

Abstract: Objective: The aim of this study was to determine if peer review conducted under real-world conditions is systematically biased. Study Design: A repeated-measures design was effectively created when two board-certified obstetrician-gynecologists reviewed the same 26 medical records of patients treated by the same physician, and provided written evaluations of each case and a summary of their criticisms. The reviews were conducted independently for two different, unaffiliated hospitals. Neither reviewer was aware of the other's review, and neither was affiliated with either hospital or knew the physician under review. This study reports the degree of agreement between the two reviewers over the care rendered to these 26 patients. Results: Three of the 26 cases reviewed had complications. Both reviewers criticized these cases, but criticized 2 of them for different reasons. At least one of the reviewers criticized 14 (61%) of the 23 uncomplicated cases, about which no quality concerns had been raised prior to the review. With one exception, they criticized completely different cases and criticized this 1 case for different reasons. Thus, only 4 of the 17 cases criticized by at least one of the reviewers were criticized by both of them, and only 1 of the 4 cases were criticized for the same reason. The Kappa statistic was -0.024, indicating no agreement between the reviewers (P=0.98). Conclusions: As presently conducted, peer review can be systematically biased even when conducted independently by external reviewers.

So how about stretch it until you hear a snap, then stop?

Saintly
    Free Member

My own experiences from last month have led me to pay for a good sports massage once or twice a month.

I competed at 10 under the ben last month (I won't tell you where I came) and finished with a strained tendon behind my knee. I stayed off the bike for a couple of days then went to see a guy on recommedation at my local gym. He inflicted large amounts of pain on my legs through massage, pretty much told me to MTFU and after that I went and competed at the 24hr solo champs that weekend.(again I won't tell you where I came).

Since then I have been consistently riding and competeting without any detrimental effect to my health.

BadlyWiredDog

Now there's irony for you (or just plain stupidity) – since I told you I'm off the bike for 2 months in the opening gambit!

Well, I hope you get top five anyway, you deserve it. Maybe someone here would be prepared to race under your name? It seems a shame to miss out just because you can't ride.

radoggair
    Free Member

i've started to use rollers for my legs although its only twice now so will report back on results later.
    Stretches should be to the point where you can feel the stretch but doesn't cause you pain, then held for 30 secs. Try and not 'bounce' whilst stretching either. This info comes from my other halfs dancing days and was taught to them by college/uni teachers. She's very flexible so i believe her (actual evidence)

I tend to stretch minimal amounts a week, but drink (during races) plenty and have a nuun tablet every 3rd bottle.

Not exactly scientific but works for me and for my racing

Ti29er
    Free Member

Saintly: Are you saying you only had one session (?) of massaging the affected area? With only 2 days off? There wasn't much time between the two events was there?

I appreciate it's a different part of the leg and a tendon and not the muscle / tendon junction area, but that sounds like a very short period of being off the bike.

To rub salt in the wound my oppo in the pairs race is hoping BWD will fill in for me! But that's just fanciful 😉

BadlyWiredDog

To rub salt in the wound my oppo in the pairs race is hoping BWD will fill in for me! But that's just fanciful

Really?

Ti29er
    Free Member

Of course. The ride is yours should you want it. You'll need a bicycle and & a helmet, but you'll be fine I'm sure.

BadlyWiredDog

That's very kind of you, but I'm soloing it. Good luck finding a replacement.

phil.w
    Free Member

The purpose of stretching is two fold.

1) To remove any tightness in the muscle and thereby allowing it to operate to its full extension.

2) To increase the length of the muscle to improve its range and therefore maximum performance capabilities.

You can use a different process of stretching to achieve these aims. You should stretch to achieve point 2 when your muscles are relaxed and loose. You should stretch before exercise to allow the muscle to perform to its maximum capabilities, as is point 1.

To not warm-up before exercise will only limit your performance. Stretching is only part of a warm-up as is, with cycling, some light spinning or with running, some light jogging.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Lest we forget! 🙄 You do bang on about it, at least you won't have Dave, Dave & Dave to slow you down (again).
    And you being

officially an old bastard

Best of luck though.

phil.w
    Free Member

Ti29,

If I understand you correctly you have no tightness in the injured leg at max extension and this max is about 6 inches away from normal range of movement.

If this is correct then it is likely the purpose of the stretches you have been given is not to increase this range in the same way it would with a warm-up stretch. i.e. you are not removing tightness that is inhibiting movement.

If your range of movement is reduced due to an injury then the stretching will aid the recovery by keeping it working and flexible. Therefore your stretches can be lighter (don't pull to hard) but held for longer – as posted earlier over 30 sec's is wasted, your better to relax and repeat.

If you are trying to get it fixed asap then the hot and cold technique is a great help. Hot water bottle followed by bag of peas (wrapped in towel) held against the damaged muscle stimulates blood flow.

Ti29er
    Free Member

The limited (?) range of movement is not due specifically to the injury. I'm naturally like this.

When stretching I can't feel it on the effected area, it's felt in the top-middle front area of the quads.

I wonder if the physio feels that by getting a better range of stretch it might prevent it occurring again?

I'm there again Friday and will ask her as I don't think there's a specific exercise to hit that muscle / tendon interface & region. Maybe she feels that the lack of flexibility has caused this issue in the first place. I think ultrasound helps prevent scar tissue build up only (?).

phil.w
    Free Member

ahh ok.

I miss-understood and thought the injury was limiting your range of movement. Therefore what i said is not relevant.

I wonder if the physio feels that by getting a better range of stretch it might prevent it occurring again?

Most likely this is the case.

Warm-up stretching can prevent injury from over extending a tight muscle.

I still recommend the hot-cold treatment. When I used to compete (athletics) it helped get me back from a torn quad in 4 weeks for an important comp.

BadlyWiredDog

est we forget! You do bang on about it, at least you won't have Dave, Dave & Dave to slow you down (again).
    And you being

officially an old bastard
    Best of luck though.

Thanks 🙂

Ti29er
    Free Member

I've canned the hip flexor exercise today and will seek another one (I recall on from on line that was effective last time) as it's a lunge-style posture and simply places too much weight onto the affected area; I'm sitting here at work in some discomfort!

Saintly
    Free Member

Saintly: Are you saying you only had one session (?) of massaging the affected area? With only 2 days off? There wasn't much time between the two events was there?

Yep just one session sorted me out enough to ride the 24hr. 10 under on the Saturday, walked up most of Ben Nevis on the Sunday, gave up as tendon was starting to nip a little. Flat walk on Monday. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday off. Massage on the Thursday, pre rode course on Friday night then alright for the weekend. I also put my granny ring back on for the event to give the option to spin a bit more on the hills. I put it down to a mixture of over training and pushing too bigger gear.

The chap told me it was a Hamstring tendon strain, I also alternately iced and heated it to reduce the swelling.

Worth a shot. Is it painful to ride?

Ti29er
    Free Member

Yes, too much to continue.
    I've tried it on 3 different bikes and no joy plus it's sore to the touch.
    It seems to be the end of the muscle than the join with the tendon IMHO.

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘How long to hold a stretch? (Stiff muscle & injury content)’ is closed to new replies.