Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • How long to get back after illness?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

What seems to be the going rate? And why does two weeks off seem like the end of the world?

I feel fine after two weeks of coughing, but still having random eye watering coughing fits, one about every three hours.
    Do we wait until every trace of the problem has gone?
    Two weeks ago I was on my best form in decades, and in six weeks I have a proper hard road race.
    Normally I’d play it by ear, but with a major target up ahead I want to get it right i.e I don’t want to loose what I had, but I don’t want to go to soon and make it worst.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Also interested in this. Just had two weeks off the bike with a bout of man flu. Rode into town yesterday and my legs felt awful, no power at all. Plan on just doing some easy short rides for a week before building up some intensity. Just get the body use to riding again.

nickhart
    Free Member

Took me about two years after the second bought of cancer complete with stem cell transplant….. Stop worrying and it’ll happen a lot quicker!

federalski
    Free Member

Whenever I’m coming out the other end of a cold / flu I find the best thing to do is to go a walk.
    If you can do a decent few miles around town and up a few hills without spluttering away at a decent pace and feel okay, then give the bike a go the next day.
    I’d rather head home from a walk knowing I’m still on the wrong side of it than be half way up a hill miles from home on the bike feeling like death.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Oldgit, back up to speed yet?

Having had two weeks off the bike I just did some easy rides out on the road bike in the evenings for a week until riding started to feel normal again. Just been getting back into turbo work too, seem to be about 15 watts down on pre-flu form 🙁

trail_rat
    Free Member

best form of your life you say

ill you say .

overtrain much says i .

id go for a couple EASY (and i mean no group rides) solo rides taking it easy. See how you go , if you feel better then work back into training.

as your aware going in hard trying to make up for lost weeks will almost certainly lose you the race.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

When you say ‘Ill’ do you mean you had a cold? That’s not ill, ill is someone needing some serious treatment so may I be the first to say WTFU.

mrblobby
    Free Member

We’re not talking any cold here… I’ve shrugged off many a cold over the past 12 months, but this was an evil nasty mutant cold, the kind that can only be caught by sending your toddler to nursery!

pebblebeach
    Free Member

An so it was a cold then.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘How long to get back after illness?’ is closed to new replies.