Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • How long to charge SSX2 battery? light still red on charger > 2 hours
  • cruzcampo
    Free Member

Hi guys,

Can’t remember how long to charge the SSX2 stock battery, i’m using the included (dodgy :lol:) charger. The light on charger is still red after 2 hours.

How long should it need based on capacity and amps on charger etc?

Charger says 8.4v = 1A

model PD-05

I think many on here have this same charger setup.

richardthird

Solarstorm X2 4-cell? I ran mine down on purpose and recharged it, took 5 or 6 hours (it ran for 5 or 6 hours first though!)

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Yeah 4 cell 🙂 So 5-6 hours wow 😯

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

It depends on the make of laptop the cells were salvaged from and what the state/age of the laptop was when it died…

edlong
    Free Member

Mine currently charges in under 20 minutes. Mind you, total burn time for the light is also currently in that region, so it might just be time to invest in a decent battery and charger – what’s the current STW recommendation?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member
    cruzcampo
    Free Member

edlong – Member
    Mine currently charges in under 20 minutes. Mind you, total burn time for the light is also currently in that region, so it might just be time to invest in a decent battery and charger – what’s the current STW recommendation?

I don’t think the green light appearing on the charger is a good indicator, I find a 4 hour charge gives 3-4 hour use on mixed beam power. 30 mins and i’d be in the dark very early into the ride.

Look at the 18650 aftermarket chargers they take 10 hours to charge 4 fully. So i’d wager 20 minutes is no where near long enough.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

These discussions are pointless – the variation in the battery quality on these chinese lights is clearly huge – some are reclaimed cells from old laptops – so one persons experiences aren’t that useful.

Get that case, some decent cells and charger, and you are golden. get 2 head units at about £12 and then you have a spare.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Got some 18650 3400mah on the way with a nitecore charger and already have the battery box so should be good come mid next week 🙂

Although the stock batteries i’ve found to be good so far and thats charging for 4 hours.

stuey
    Free Member

Gulp – anybody found a cheaper battery box ?
    Because I’ve taken to using the cheap plastic holders and gaffa tape / rubber glove water proofing.

z1ppy

email Marmaduke for an ETA? (or buy a box with batteries)

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

buy it from china, much cheaper

warpcow
    Free Member

Stupid question maybe, but which way round should the batteries be in those boxes? Just noticed that one of the pics in z1ppy’s link shows 2 up 2 down, but I’d just assumed 4 up (+ at the top) because the contacts are all the same in the box.

z1ppy

It’s definitely 2 up 2 down, box has symbols on the inside to show which is which and the lid has a ‘notch’, so that it should be fitted one way for the circuit to work (though if you hamfisted you can get it to fit!)

warpcow
    Free Member

Cheers. There’s a notch on mine but no other markings (cheap from China). Still not got the batteries anyway.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘How long to charge SSX2 battery? light still red on charger > 2 hours’ is closed to new replies.