Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • how long to build a bike?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

New brake hoses
    O ring and oil change in forks
    New inners and outers
    Plus the usual?

gaffney
    Free Member

20 mins including tea break? Any longer and your LBS is taking the piss

weeksy

usually 4-5 days as you find out all the bits you thought would fit, actually don’t.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you’re asking an LBS to do this, they could justifiably charge an hours labour just to do the forks, and I think that would be fair.
    To build a bike AND do those things I’d reckon on around 3hr labour, if its from a pile of parts to,a full bike. I can build a bike out of a box in 35mins, but there’s not much to assemble these days
    Add in a fork strip and the other bits and it’ll take a while

More seriously, if you’re within striking distance of Farnborough, Hampshire, give me a shout. I have time and tools on my hands. Email in profile. 🙂

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

These are time estimates from working in a bike shop (well Halfords anyway).

New brake hoses – about an hour
    O ring and oil change in forks – about an hour, really depends on what fork and how much you want stripping down.
    New inners and outers – 30 mins max
    Plus the usual? – checking all the nuts and bolts are tight etc. about 30mins

A spotlessly clean bike is much easier to work on and therefore costs less. If you’re bike is covered in mud then the cost will go up as the mechanic will need to clean everything carefully before reassembly – especially the forks and brakes.

These days I’m in my garage so everything takes a bit longer.

brakes
    Free Member

For me, 3-4 hours for a standard build. Couple more for forks, couple more for brake hoses.
    Something always goes awry and needs fettling, stuff always needs cleaning up and degreasing and you often have to pop out for more beer.

cynic-al
    Free Member

3 hours plus minus a bit for dirty vs clean, in bits vs not.

yunki
    Free Member

usually 4-5 days as you find out all the bits you thought would fit, actually don’t.

this

plus a couple hours for cleaning any old parts that are being re-cycled

rob-jackson
    Free Member

No its me doing it – i am reckoning on 3hrs inc beer and biccies

rob-jackson
    Free Member

All parts are cleaned and ready to bolt on

Cheezpleez

It’s like Jamie’s 30 minute meals. If you have all the right parts and tools laid out in front of you, plenty of practice and no distractions you’ll get it done in no time. In the real world, 2014.

charliedontsurf

If you are doing it yourself, time is not important…. Good biscuits, good beer, good music, and a good job is what matters. Screw time.

Coyote
    Free Member

What Charlie said.

Building a bike is a pleasure not a chore. Add in beer and tunes and it is truly a thing to savour.

coatesy
    Free Member

Anyone telling you it only takes 20mins is taking the piss too.

starsh78
    Free Member

strip clean and rebuild 2hrs my mechanic does start to finish… but we use a parts washer!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

I know its a great thing to do but just trying to work out what time i will get to bed tonight 🙂

colande
    Free Member

The major time issues is finding out you haven’t got the correct part out or that the band size is incorrect etc etc,
    But if everything is present and correct then what people saying above 3-4 hours sounds about right

rob-jackson
    Free Member

no band size issue (1×10)

starsh78
    Free Member

oh if you are doing it at home in the ling room without stand and proper tools id say 5 hrs with tea and watching telly/ procrastinating

mikewsmith
    Free Member

4hrs less if it’s all ready to go and fits. More if things don’t go well or bits turn out to need fettling

colande
    Free Member

Got the right tools (sockets)for the forks?
    And bits for the brake bleed olives etc

allmountainventure
    Free Member

About 2 – 3 hours including checking afterwards

Cheezpleez

What’s the bike?

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

just built my first bike – ideally as most say 3 to 5 hrs provided you have all the right parts, tools, some cold beer and no kids around! enjoy 🙂

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Hmmm 2 hours in and it looks bike shaped BUT i still need to do the following jobs:

To do:
    Bleed front and back brakes – 30 mins
    Set up gears and chain device – 10 mins
    Sag on shock – 5 mins
    Outer for seatpost – 5mins
    Cut down steerer – 10 mins
    Change seals in forks – 60 mins

Total 2 hours

Working outside with an Inspection Lamp is not the future!!

crazy-legs

I know its a great thing to do but just trying to work out what time i will get to bed tonight

IME it’s considerably quicker if you’re not trying to post on an internet forum at the same time…

If I had a workshop, all the tools and no distractions, sub 3hrs.
    Working at home – anything from 3hrs to a week!

Personally, like charlie says, I like to take my time over things like that. Little bit here and there, slowly slowly catchy monkey. 🙂

ton

have a day off, get sme nice coffee and choccy hobnobs, some nice music,
    take your time and enjoy it.

i never do any of the above when building a bike, and i make a right mess of em….. 😀

gmex619
    Free Member

Wow some of these times are alot longer than I expected.. (But then I don’t change fork seals. I have someone re-build the fork for me usually.)

I can build a HT bike, including hoses, bleeding etc.. In about 90 minutes tops and strip down in 15.

The only things that slow me down are if threads are dirty or anything like that.
    My last FS bike was my V10 and when I’d gotten the new coil spring on the shock (Took 2 hours because it was as long as the shock.) It took me around 60 minutes too do the rest.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Understand what you are saying crazylegs but not ridden an MTB for 3 weeks i am getting desperate!!

soobalias
    Free Member

is it finished yet?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

packed up for tonight

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘how long to build a bike?’ is closed to new replies.