Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • How long to boil an egg?
  • jamesy01
    Free Member

I can safely say 1hr 55mins is not the answer…
    2 exploded eggs and house that smells like burnt fart backs this up…the wife is not best pleased!

shermer75
    Free Member

2 1/2 minutes usually, for a medium sized egg. I like them pretty soft though!

Sounds like they were off if they exploded so soon and produced a bad smell

shermer75
    Free Member

Ah, my mistake, I read that as 1 minute 55 seconds. Fair point!! 🙂

sc-xc

Large eggs from cupboard:

put in boiling water and leave for 5 mins – perfect for soldiers

put in pan, pour boiling water over then time for 7 mins – perfect for cutting into quarters and chucking a load of chilli flakes on – in between runny and hard. This is what I do for breakfast 6 days a week.

nealglover
    Free Member

This is what I do for breakfast 6 days a week.

On the 7th day, I suggest you try the OP’s method, just for a change.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

sc-xc’s wardrobe

🙂

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

How did you manage to boil an egg for 2 hrs?!

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Sc-xc so no cooking bar leaving the eggs in boiling water? Means that I could possibly do this at work, only a microwave and a kettle available.

seosamh77
    Free Member

sc-xc – Member

put in boiling water and leave for 5 mins – perfect for soldiers

yip, put in boiling water, 4.5/5 mins, don’t boil with the egg in it.

shermer75
    Free Member

And on the seventh day he smashes them in with his silver hammer

jamesy01
    Free Member

How did you manage to boil an egg for 2 hrs?!

Got distracted getting the kids ready for school…then took them to school…then stayed an hour for a shared start…

Cougar

so no cooking bar leaving the eggs in boiling water? Means that I could possibly do this at work, only a microwave and a kettle available.

If you boil eggs in the kettle you need to tell me where you work, so I can come over and stab you.

nealglover
    Free Member

If you boil eggs in the kettle you need to tell me where you work, so I can come over and stab you

I presumed, the reason he was asking if there was any actual “cooking” required, was so you can do boiled eggs in a bowl with water boiled from the kettle.

Rather than eggs boiled in the kettle. 😆

timber

Guy I work with occasionally forgets he has left eggs boiling away on the rayburn. He brings them in for lunch and they are like rocks with yolk approaching a black colour.

greentricky
    Free Member

When at uni, drunk housemate came home and decided to boil and egg and then passed out, woke up to the fire alarm and a lot of smoke from pan boiled dry and an egg like a fossil

Moe

From experience, you will be finding bits of egg for months! 🙄

garage-dweller

In my eggsperience … Under cooking eggs is no yolk.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Eggs in kettle is ideal. Fill kettle, pop 2 eggs in. Boil, then 7 minutes after kettle switches off, yer done.

Even better if yer on nights, and it’s the day shifts kettle.

pondo

You need one of these

Ooo, they’ve come down in price, paid almost that much for the toast n egg mebbe 18 months ago, toast n egg n beans was about sixty quid back then IIRC. 🙂

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I won’t be boiling eggs in a kettle……. So does the bowl and boiling water thing work then?

GrahamS

I once hard boiled an egg in a microwave (student doss bedsit – microwave was the only cooking available).

It worked surprisingly well. I peeled the egg and put it in a bowl with a little butter and sat down to enjoy it.

The second my fork penetrated the egg, it exploded with a bang and showered the entire room in tiny fragments of egg.

Landlady was not best pleased. Egg is remarkably hard to hoover out a carpet!

bodgy
    Free Member

I’m a 6m 30s man, myself. Into boiling water, cool immediately under cold water.

Can’t stand hot boiled eggs, but do like a runny yolk.

gobuchul
    Free Member
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘How long to boil an egg?’ is closed to new replies.