• This topic has 940 replies, 109 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 941 total)
  • How long to be a credible Cat 4 or am I just crap (road content)
  • Haze

2/3/4 for me on Sunday, 66 miles and pan flat.

Should be quick, and a probable soaking looking at the forecast!

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve been a 3rd for a couple of years but for some reason got a 4th cat licence this year – someone obviously reset a database somewhere!

That is odd, I’m still a 3rd, and I’ve not done any road racing for years.

TheSanityAssassin

I’m in only my second ever road race tomorrow in Sheffield (it’s a circuit at Forge Valley, 4th Cat only) and the nerves have started already! Lasted 25 mins (of a 40 min race) on my debut at York Sports Village a few weeks ago before being lapped out, but came away more enthused than disappointed. I’m hoping that tomorrow will be a bit more of an even field, as the majority of the stronger riders who were obviously better than 4th Cat, but racing beginners like me, will have progressed to their own level now, leaving us ‘pure 4ths’ to our own devices. I suppose I’ll find that out tomorrow…

TheSanityAssassin

Forge Valley (Sheffield) Circuit Race
    Unfortunately the pleasant dry weather that I set off in this morning had deteriorated into bleak rain by the time I arrived at the track, although the relatively sheltered position helped to keep the wind mostly in check.
    It wasn’t a full field of riders that took to the start line, but you can only take on what’s put in front of you! I didn’t have time to put any deep thought into my tactics for the race, but it soon became apparent that the rather unusual banana shape of the circuit wasn’t going to suit my riding style – with 2 narrow straights and a virtual roundabout at each end making overtaking difficult and no chance to get the pace up for any length of time.
    One thing I did really want to do though was stay in the bunch for as long as possible. In the event that proved to be easier than anticipated as the soaking track and tight corners meant that once the stragglers had been despatched off the back the 10/11 up front ended up in one long line most of the time. Unfortunately though, I didn’t have the confidence to give things a go on the front to try and stretch things with a long punt for home as my legs were still a bit heavy from last weeks exertions. So, despite my lack of sprint, I sat in and hoped that a decent position on the last lap and a bit of luck would see me through. At the bell I was sat comfortably in 3rd, hoping to get round the first roundabout unscathed and planning on a dash down the outside on the back straight to get me into the last roundabout in front and then the rest would have to get round me on the finish straight to take it. The bell sounded and the whole bunch came over the top at once!!
    After that there just wasn’t the time and space to recover position. As suspected, my lack of sprint cost me and I couldn’t make up places on the last straight, finishing in 9th place.
    On the positive side, that’s my first couple of points in the bag and I got them on a circuit that didn’t suit me, in lousy conditions with heavy legs. I’ve also gained a little more experience and felt like I was at least competitive.
    Onwards and upwards!

TiRed

One thing I did really want to do though was stay in the bunch for as long as possible

Good plan and that is my Racing Objective 2. You want to aim for staying in the TOP THIRD of the bunch if you can.

After my Masters outing, I was thinking of racing the Hillingdon BC West Thames 3/4 on Tuesday night in lieu of the club ride. But I’ve been warned that now points are up for grabs, standards are down…

So it will be my first E123 of the season. I raced one last year that was so hard I could barely walk the next day! Smooth and fast (29 mph average), which means, based on current (un)fitness levels I’m going to suffer.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

any idea how our OP got on at Bonty 12/24? results are out but it didn’t say Kryton57 in the results (i don’t know his real name :oops:)

njee20
    Free Member

There’s obviously a story there, he DNF’d after less than 8 hours…

Haze

Got the soaking I expected in the 2/3/4 this morning, 66 soggy miles including the neutralised first lap after a motorcycle outrider took an unexpected left hand turn with the bunch cruising along at 30mph towards the correct turning half a mile up the road.

Cue much confusion and carnage with bikes, bottles and riders scattered all over the road. Managed to keep it upright despite my brakes barely working in the soaking conditions, really thought I was done for but just found a gap to squeeze through.

Commissarie bought the now split race back together and restarted, break stayed out and I got back safely in the bunch.

Quite a few crashes today, happy to get back in one piece!

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

A nice story with a positive ending for TSA, good work that man.

I hadn’t realised 3/4 at Hillingdon was now giving points, it’ll be a shame if it has lowered the riding standard because it was pretty good when I went a few weeks pack, especially compared to how it used to be!!

TiRed

So it will be my first E123 of the season. I raced one last year that was so hard I could barely walk the next day!

Prescient. 44+ km/hr average. Managed to keep top third for most of the race. Broke myself bridging to an unsuccessful breakaway. Then watched the peloton ping past as I just managed to hang on. Recovered and back near the front chasing the (now successful) Elite breakaway, which we never caught in the wind. Boxed in with five to go, never got very close to the front and had a little left at the end to pass a few stragglers at the back of the bunch. Mid third and very pleased (and sore).

98 Points in the red and an average HR of 175 for 65 minutes. 😛

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

I popped along to Hillingdon last night and rode the now point scoring 3/4 race as Thruxton wasn’t on. I had a great time but unfortunately I think adding ranking to the race has made the racing a little negative because as per a lot of 3/4 racing a lot of riders are keen to chase down but then sit up (thinking that they’ll do a little better in ‘sprint’ if they don’t work now!!), it ruins the flow of the race and causes potentially dangerous concertinaing.

All that being said I really enjoyed working hard to keep the speed of the race up and attacking at crazy times – it was a really good workout but I just wish other guys would commit and pull hard!

I hope you’re all enjoying your scraps on the tarmac!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Adam, that sounds frustratingly familiar!

Back to testing here. Though I think only about half a dozen races left for me now this season and not on super fast courses either, bit of a shame.

Then I think it’ll be some scrapping in the mud at brass monkeys just to keep me sane over winter.

Then it’s time to think about some goals for 2016 🙂

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Good luck with the TT’s!

There is racing at Hillingdon on most Saturday’s over the winter or come and race the Wessex league, time trialists seem to have the knack of being good, especially those with a bit of mtb in their history!! NRC always seem to have a reasonable turnout too.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks Adam. Wessex league is very appealing (as was your Summer CX) but don’t currently have a CX bike. I could go have a conversation with Mr Banjo but with a new TT bike also on the shopping list it would likely get me into trouble! I think I’ll stick to the brass monkeys plan but will check out Hillingdon over winter too.

hjghg5
    Free Member

OK, advice required. Since my first race I’ve been doing TTs for the last couple of months and getting faster steadily, but struggling to find ladies 2/3/4 races. I’ve got one entered for September but there doesn’t seem to be anything at York (the closest closed circuit).

I’ve found a 2/3/4 race but it’s a bit more of a step up than I was hoping for at this stage. It’s 2 stages on the same day – the 2nd is a TT which is absolutely fine, but the first is a 42 mile road race. That’s rather more serious than 40 minutes on a closed circuit. Is that too much of a step up or should I just go for it and hope that other people get dropped too…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Is that too much of a step up or should I just go for it and hope that other people get dropped too…

Only one way to find out. Definitely go for it 😀

will
    Free Member

dirtyrider – Member
    any idea how our OP got on at Bonty 12/24? results are out but it didn’t say Kryton57 in the results (i don’t know his real name :oops:)

Well, until a small “off” meant a recurring injury cropped up again.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I’ve found a 2/3/4 race but it’s a bit more of a step up than I was hoping for at this stage

I was thinking of doing that race too as stage races suit me but its quite a way to travel and I haven’t raced since I crashed in May because my shoulder still hurts. Stage races are a bit of an unknown if you’ve not done one before – in terms of knowing how your legs react to double stages in one day / getting your nutrition and recovery right between stages etc. This one is interesting with the RR before the TT which I suspect will change how the race is ridden. I don’t think anyone reaches a level where they feel ready to race as such – there’s always nerves about taking a step up esp in women’s racing where you are up against pros, excuses like not fit enough etc. If you want to do it then race it and have fun, set mini goals so you’ll feel like you’ve achieved something even if worst case scenario you get dropped.

TheSanityAssassin

Anyone on this thread ever do Tameside at all? There’s usually a 4th only each Tuesday night which I fancy a crack at. Other riders from my club (HDR) have had a fair bit of recent success over there, with several picking up wins and others accumulating enough points to graduate up to 3rd Cat.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Urgh, Tameside is a horrible circuit IMO. Raced there once, never ever again! I take it Salt Ayre (Lancaster) is too far for you to travel? Its a much nicer circuit.

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

I’ve never raced a Tameside so can’t comment but I have raced a few times at Preston which may not be too far from you and the week night handicap is fast and furious but a good standard of riding.

HighG5, I don’t know you region at all but some of our local circuits allow ladies to start with 4ths or 3/4 and if there’s enough of you (10 or more) they tend to start a separate race for you. It might be worth enquiring at York, I can’t believe they don’t offer anything at all for ladies.

hjghg5
    Free Member

They do sometimes (my first race was there) but the evening July series was juniors/men. I could race with the men but I’d be dropped fairly quickly (my OH got dropped when he raced and he is faster than I am…)

bainbrge

Re the womens racing in Yorkshire I’m sure I saw an appeal by the organisers of some racing in Driffield(?) or somewhere East Yorkshire, basically saying that they never got enough women to enter the races, hence they were looking at suspending. I noticed only because an acquaintance of mine from around there is a great road rider and probably well capable of holding her own in Cat 4 or even higher, yet doesn’t ride competitively.

Not really relevant to anything other than to say I think the more participation, the more motivation it provides for other female riders, which can’t be a bad thing. Given the number of women in my road club and on the roads in general, it would appear there is a population being underserved by the current competitive structures.

hjghg5
    Free Member

Yes, the race I did only had 9 entrants so I can kind of see why they don’t try to squeeze a womens race into the evening events when time is limited and there is a bigger field for the junior/mens races. And I’m sure that if they did squeeze one in it would end up being too early for me to actually get there in time anyway…

It’s actually one of the reasons I’d like to do the 2 stage thing even if I’m a bit out of my depth because if I don’t take the opportunities that are there they might disappear too.

I may see the organiser tomorrow anyway (he does our club TTs) so can sound him out about how beginner friendly it is.

TheSanityAssassin

I believe at Tameside that one week in every four they substitute the 4th Cat race for a female only?

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Hjghg5, if you want beginner friendly then try the 2/3/4 at pimbo in March / June, wide, flat & like a longer crit.

TiRed

Ladies can enter mens races one cat down. That said we have ladies racing E123 races at Hillingdon. There are also ladies races at Hillingdon every other Wednesday.

Enter and see how you get on. It’s a very steep pyramid in ladies racing, so there is no harm in having a go.

I’m going to race at Paignton tomorrow night as I’m down seeing the family. Nice circuit where I did my coaching course last year. Twisty and technical so good for breaks!

Haze

Our summer crit series finished last night, I’ve missed the last few but returned for my best result of the season finishing 2nd in the 3/4.

36 points for the season to date with 3/4 & 2/3/4 road races over the next 3 weekends before going away on holiday, then it’s on to my first LVRC.

Really enjoyed my first ‘proper’ year racing & already thinking about next year, thread has been a great source of motivation…wish I’d have done all this sooner!

hjghg5
    Free Member

I had a real confidence boost from the TT on Thursday. 6th overall out of 23 riders and the fastest time by a female club member since at least 2008 (which is as far back as the results on the website go). And that was despite getting stuck behind a tractor at the end.

Which won’t necessarily help me when racing as the TTs don’t involve accelerations etc, but at least it gives me a bit of confidence!

I also tried focussing on group riding skills on the club ride yesterday – we don’t go amazingly fast but I paid attention to holding the wheel in front round corners and when taking a drink rather than my usual habit of dropping back a bit then chasing back on.

The finger is hovering over the entry button.

TheSanityAssassin

Well I’m in at Tameside tonight. It’s fair to say that the old nerves are starting to kick in already…

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Good luck Assassin and to HighG5, just do it.

No racing for me this week, damn work getting in the way! I’ll be at Big Dog this weekend to make up for it though!!

crazy-legs

Well I’m in at Tameside tonight. It’s fair to say that the old nerves are starting to kick in already…

Which race you doing?
    I’m going to start my racing season (in August…) and do the 2/3/4 race.

TheSanityAssassin

In the 4th only, straight after you. I’ve a couple of team mates in the 2/3/4.

karlwoof
    Free Member

Am racing in the 4th cat tonight too. Keep an eye for me and say hi, I’ll be racing in yellow Dinnington RC kit.

Good luck!

TheSanityAssassin

Think we both raced a couple of weeks back in the rain in Sheffield? I’ll be in grey/orange HDR kit.

karlwoof
    Free Member

Aye, down at the forge valley ‘torrential rain anytime of year circuit’.

crazy-legs

Big field in the 2/3/4 race tonight, maybe 36 or so. I started near the back – just how it ended up as we all lined up. Got caught up in a bit of a wobble a couple of laps in as everyone was jostling for position. Nothing major but it caused two slight splits near the back of the bunch, I got caught in the middle, spent 3 laps chasing then sat up and just waited for the other dropped riders. Together we caught a few other stragglers and formed a decent working group of 8 about half a lap down on the main field. Kept picking up stragglers as the main field shelled people out then eventually we got lapped.

Sat at the back of the main bunch until 3 to go then drifted off the back so as not to get caught up in their sprint.

Wasn’t last and given that I’ve done zero racing so far this year (and not ridden Tameside for 2 years) it was more or less the result I expected. Will see what the weather is doing next week, if it’s nice again I’ll do that and hope to stay in for the full race.

Took me a while to settle into the rhythm of the track and get myself feeling relaxed, maybe now I’ve got that out the way it’ll be quicker and easier to get up to speed next time.

My poor little 3rd Cat licence will have to stay at nul points for a bit longer…

TiRed

My poor little 3rd Cat licence will have to stay at nul points for a bit longer…

I shouldn’t worry, mine’s on one point. Cracking 2/3/4 race last week with 45 riders and a technical circuit. Cut up on the last hairpin meant I lost at least five places and finished top third (just) at 18th. Was going to race Hillingdon E123 but work got in the way tonight. Shortlisted for a Surrey League RR on Sunday, so we shall see.

Did you singlespeed it?

TheSanityAssassin

Sounds like you were in the same working group as one of my team mates, Crazy Legs. Unfortunately I was busy warming up and only caught a couple of laps of the 2/3/4, so didn’t get a chance to see if I could work out who you were.

The 4th Cat went pretty well for me in the end. I got dragged round at the back of the bunch for about 15 laps, finding it difficult to pick up places due to constantly getting the hairpin wrong and the bunch being quite big on the narrow track. I’d planned to ‘go’ early if I was feeling good and in a position to do so, but the first time I saw the lap board there were only 4 left. Eventually, with only one and a half laps to go, I saw an opening on the back straight and put the hammer down. From back of the bunch to straight off the front I was now committed for home. I hit the bell leading the way and managed to keep ahead until the final series of corners, where several riders came through on my inside. I clung on to the finish and came home in 6th place, which I’m chuffed with.
    Well done to karlwoof who spent most of the race in the first 3 or 4, doing plenty of the graft up front. Sorry I missed you at the end and never got chance for a chat.

Kryton57

Well done everyone, makes a fanatics read!

I’m looking forward to getting back into this. What’s happening a Hillindon from Sept-Feb TiRed?

Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 941 total)

The topic ‘How long to be a credible Cat 4 or am I just crap (road content)’ is closed to new replies.