Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 158 total)
  • How long till a friend/family member has used up all 'favours'?
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Been having an argument on and off all weekend with my wife after her brother asked us a big favour.

So far (not that I should be counting my wife tells me) we have helped him (which normally means taking the lead as he isn't very handy):

– Put up about 60ft of fencing, which meant working until past sunset using torches as his wife 'needed' it finishing that day because they were going out the next day.

– Laboured all weekend digging out, weed membraning and dropping tonnes of gravel on a new drive – approx 30ft long.

– Wallpapered his entrance hall, stairs and landing (he tried to help, I ended up re-doing the stuff he did).

The one time I asked him if he could help me (dig out and lay a hardstanding for one car) he couldn't because 'they were busy'.

Now we have just been asked if we can help them move house because they can't afford* movers (we have 1 yr old twins so I am not entirely sure how he thinks this will work).

*They are spending an obscene amount of money on a new house and have recently been on a spending spree of unprecedented levels so if they cannot afford it, then I think they have no-one to blame but themselves.

So – is this guy taking the p*ss somewhat and I am right to question whether we should be helping him or do we 'do unto others as we would have done unto us' as my wife maintains?

NZCol

You have collected your karma points, decline. Time is precious.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Saying no sounds reasonable, it's only going to get worse.

johni
    Free Member

You're busy that day, offer to help a month later 🙂

cranberry
    Free Member

Unless you've missed out the part of the story where he gave you one of his kidneys, then you've been more than good.

donald
    Free Member

That bad back of yours is playing up again isn't it?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Glad someone sees my side of this! No doubt convincing my wife that her 'ickle brother' (who is, to be fair, being influenced heavily by his wife I think) will remain difficult to do.

As it stands, I have to give up an entire day on Saturday to help them move in. Thankfully we had a prior engagement on Sunday so I have got out of a full weekend of labouring.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

That bad back of yours is playing up again isn't it?

LOL – it **** well will be by Saturday night 🙁

toys19
    Free Member

This appears to be more a question of how important this is to your wife?
    The fact that you are asking the question means that, for you, the goodwill has already passed.

Although your wife might not think so.

allthepies
    Free Member

But you will still do it anyway won't you 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

Just to play devils advocate…
    Have you considered that the one and only time that you have asked for a favour in return that they may have genuinely been too busy?

It's a very small and unreliable statistic to be drawing any conclusions from..
    We have a set of seemingly quite insensitive favour asking relatives that are quite hard to stomach at times.. but I'm fairly sure that they only behave that way with a genuine desire to be equally as helpful if asked to do so..

Junkyard
    Free Member

there are giversa nd takers in life clearly they are a taker and will continue to do so untill you stop giving.
    I would litterally explain at as you have here and say that you can no longer assist until help is reciprocated…you could tell him to get stuffed though your choice. Perhaps the twins could have bad night and you are very tired and perhaps clumsy and drop a few things. Perhaps you could always help and do a rubbish job so they stop asking.
    I dont help people who dont help me why bother?

teagirl
    Free Member

Be clear and firm, offer help but, say, only 3 hours so he can arrange further help from some other source. Then he'll get the hint that you're not there for his convenience. He's sure to have friends?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

toys – that is a very good point and I know I will end up doing it to keep her happy.

There has been one other contributory factor in my ill-feeling – about 2 years ago they were broke and we were buying a new telly – so we 'gave' him our old Sony widescreen. Now he is earning good money and his recent spree has included a huge wall-mounted telly (plus Sky+ HD etc). So now the tv we 'gave' him is sitting in the kids playroom. I know we gave him it, but I felt that it would have been polite to at least ask us if we wanted it back once it stopped being their main telly.

Ahh well – I can see my wife's point of view too – I guess I will just have to put up 🙁

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Have you considered that the one and only time that you have asked for a favour in return that they may have genuinely been too busy?

Well yes, this was possibly the case, but it was more the way it was delivered – it was just a 'no' and move on, not to be mentioned again. When he has ever asked us, we have replanned other things or said we can't do it on x but can on y and made things work.

NZCol

Standards really are slipping…wee in his shoes as you move them, own him with bombers or coerce your wife through a series of deeply manipulative statements into performing outrageous carnal acts to secure your moving services. That's what I'd do.

Not to your wife though of course.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

LOL

Perhaps I am just being a miserable old bar steward I don't know.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

lol, I'm in the opposite situation, need to ask the missus BIL if we can borrow the Volvo to move house.

Then need to ask him if he'll give up his day off to help swing the engine out of the midget.

On the other hand I did cook their entire family (2+2) and her mum and dad a full roast dinner with all the trimings which probably cost as much as paying to hire a van!

PJM1974
    Free Member

I think you're justified in saying "no" and sticking to it.

be polite, firm and explain that the favour seem to be only flowing one way.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If it was kust me involved I wouldn't have a problem with saying no, but I have the added complication that I want to keep my wife happy, she wants to remain on good terms with her brother and we are legal guardians to each other's family too – so the last thing I need is a fallout.

Perhaps the turn up, screw up route is the best way to go – I'll offer to install their new telly and drill it to the wall – with holes drilled right through the front of the set 8)

sweepy
    Free Member

How about saying 'I'd be glad to help mate but im busy that day doing the (insert name of job that he declined to help you with)'
    Of course if the wife wants to help thats her lookout.

jimmyshand
    Free Member

Genuine friends and close family can never use up their favours.

Coyote
    Free Member

As others have said, you have earned your karma points.

psychle
    Free Member

On the other hand I did cook their entire family (2+2) and her mum and dad

😯

I hope they were tasty you fine young cannibal you! 😆

IanMunro
    Free Member

No idea what you should do, but I'd hazzard guess that saying "Heh, I've been on a bike forum, told them all about him, and they agree with me." might be a risky opening gambit 🙂

nbt

NZCol – Member

Standards really are slipping…wee in his shoes as you move them, own him with bombers or coerce your wife through a series of deeply manipulative statements into performing outrageous carnal acts to secure your moving services. That's what I'd do.

Not to your wife though of course.

What's up with mastiles_fanylion's wife, are you saying she isn't nice? 😉

bigrich

make your own requests.

either

a new bike no questions asked

lots of sex, in various positions, on demand (from your wife, not him)

you'll need to cash in quick too, or she'll forget. try and get at least a new frame up front.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

No idea what you should do, but I'd hazzard guess that saying "Heh, I've been on a bike forum, told them all about him, and they agree with me." might be a risky opening gambit

Well yeah – I guess I was just trying to gauge whether it is me being unreasonable or not. I know I will be doing it come Saturday. Perhaps I use it as a favour to be cashed in from my wife (ie, I spent last weekend helping your brother, do you mind me taking the bike out this weekend)?

bigrich – beat me to it 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

that is a very good point and I know I will end up doing it to keep her happy.

long experience on my part says this does not work 🙁

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Don't do it, you've been generous enough.

Often the people best able to afford to pay for services (sounds like your brother in law) are those who take the piss the most.

My brother has a similar attitude, can afford most things (he is a GP) but relies upon free grandparental childcare 7 days a week, yet recently had off me a 6×4 metal shed & a large metal dog cage, the shed needed replacement so I'm not bothered about that, but the dog shed was usuable & probably saleable somewhere – size wise equivalent to the £100 model in Pets at Home.

In the longer term it turns out he's relied on financial handouts from out parents to pay the mortgage in the past. Nice……

Needless to say I'm often busy if he needs a hand, but sadly he usually asks our father or his father in law, neither of whom seem to have the ability to say no to him (decorating hall, stairs & landing, anyone??).

cynic-al
    Free Member

Maybe different things work for different people SFB? Just a thought.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

How many rides is it worth? Bargainign chip with the wife? 😉

Based on what has been said here is does appear to be a bit one way. People are odd though and make strange choices – or what appear to be strange from our perspective. I assume you have had the conversation with your wife that says I don't really want to do this?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Maybe different things work for different people SFB? Just a thought.

No, doing things for other people's reasons against your own inclinations only ever breeds resentment.

nickjb
    Free Member

Genuine friends and close family can never use up their favours.

Spot on. If you are busy say no, if you are free do it, let karma sort out the rest.

lagerfanny
    Free Member

Enough is enough………………………………

so I've fowarded him this thread to avoid any embarrassment. 😉

hels
    Free Member

It's like kids really isn't it. You are continuaing to reinforce their bad behaviour by accepting it without challenge (experience gained from Super Nanny, I should clarify).

I think they need a few weeks on the naughty step.

NZCol

I'm just trying to not interfere with other peoples spouses for the moment.

luked2
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Often the people best able to afford to pay for services (sounds like your brother in law) are those who take the piss the most.

In the past I haven't really had a problem with helping because they always were the ones struggling for cash and needed help as they weren't able to afford tradesmen, but they are clearly not struggling any more (hence being able to afford the new telly etc and this big house move).

I assume you have had the conversation with your wife that says I don't really want to do this?

Yes – it is what we have been arguing about all weekend and she feels we should set aside any 'scoring' of favours and just help because he is family.

EIT: When I say 'arguing' it isn't shouting, just discussing – we don't really argue as such and are very open and honest about things – she knows exactly how I feel on this one just as I know how she feels.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ah sorry SFB, forgot for a second there that you are the oracle 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 158 total)

The topic ‘How long till a friend/family member has used up all 'favours'?’ is closed to new replies.