Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • How long since your last bike purchase?
  • camo16
    Free Member

And – diplomatically – how did you get it past your OH? 😉

I haven’t bought anything since eBaying my 1980s Bianchi early last year and I’m getting itchy feet – plus I’ve seen this tasty 70s racer that’s sooooo tempting…

BTW, I have no intention of hora-fying my life, but 1.5 bikes just doesn’t seem right.

colin9

Four days. She was keen because I’ve been threatening to buy a motorbike and by buying another bike instead it keeps me away from said dangerous motorbike.

andrewh
    Free Member

May.
    Brought it up to seven.
    I have no other half

sam_underhill

2.5 years! But I have scratched the motorbike itch more recently (about 1 year ago).

I really NEED a new bike.

codybrennan
    Free Member

About an hour!

I sold two ‘inferior’ bikes to get the cash for this, which was in a short-lived sale.

Will be my winter bike, hack, commuter, and maybe even some cross racing….

OH was fine for it as a)we didn’t have to outlay any more cash and b)we’re 2 bikes done, and 1 bike up, so there’s no storage/space issue.

camo16
    Free Member

Brought it up to seven.

Sounds reasonable. 😉

Simon

5 days ago. It was very cheap and will be used for commuting.

tomhoward

Saturday eve, one I’ve wanted for about 10 years. Just waiting for it to arrive.

Housemate doesn’t know yet, but he’s ok with 3 bikes so can’t imagine another will be a problem…. 😕

andrewh
    Free Member

camo16 – Member

Brought it up to seven.

Sounds reasonable.

Not really. Still need a cross bike (or two really if I’m going to race seriously) a proper DH bike, a little jump bike. Quite like the idea of a fixed road bike too…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

About three months ago. A Brompton. 🙂

Hohum
    Free Member

Almost 3 years.

camo16
    Free Member

I like your style, andrewh

That kind of – the correct term is quiver, right? – is totally out of my league though. 🙁

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

6 years – trek HT and still going strong.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

About 6 months. Mrs Wachowchow loves it and uses it more than I do. (Kona Minute).

Surely, if you have to get it past your OH, you have the wrong OH?!?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Early last year, but about to buy again in the next few weeks, once I know/can find what I want.

Other half has a horse, funnily enough she never brings up bike expenditure.

honourablegeorge

Two new frames this year. She takes no notice. HAd the Morewood in the kitchen a while back, she asked who owned it. “Me”. “Oh, right”.

richmtb

Bought a new frame in March, just bought a fork this week

Haven’t bought a complete bike for about 8 years

ir_bandito
    Free Member

About a year ago, i started acquiring bits for this:

DSC_0134 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

Passed the other half as I was building it to ride the LEL on which I raised over £1500 (more than was spent on the bike) for charidee. Funded partially by selling my cheap old Ribble road bike.

fathomer

Finally finished building my first full sus in August, had been buying bits since last Christmas.

OH doesn’t mind, as long as the bills are paid, my monies mine and hers is hers.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Full bike – about a year. Unless you count new wheels, fork, and full groupset for a frame I already had as a new bike…

I which case a month.

Though it was nearly hours as I looked at a commuter bike earlier today…

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Road bike in Feb…”I’m buying this” I said, “cool” she replied.

cookeaa

~4 months, it was purely functional for commuting and that’s how I sold it to the SO.

I’ve got at least two bikes I think I need to get shot of now plus a whole buch of parts, and I’m not sure it would be wise to acquire anything more until I’ve had a clear out and generated some revenue… CX bikes are calling though, I might just need to put that off till next summer, now is not the time to buy a new or used CX bike, prices will be at their peak given the current time of year…

thegreatape
    Free Member

1) about 3 hrs ago 🙂

2) it’s for her not me 🙁

Shred
    Free Member

About 2.5 years, although I got a warranty replacement frame for my MTB last week, so that is like a free new bike.

But, I am feeling the need for a new road bike.

camo16
    Free Member

But, I am feeling the need for a new road bike.

Yeah, me too. 😀

I have to say in my OH’s defence that she’s not against the idea of a new bike, she doesn’t want me to accumulate or clutter the house is all. I understand that totally, but it doesn’t stop the yearning for new tasty wheels…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Me, ohhh about 4 weeks ago, bought a new CX bike for a dabble at racing it and some smooth Hants/SthDowns hackathons.. it is rather cool I must say 8) MrsBouy can go stuff herself if she thinks she has any objections to any of my purchases 😀
    I haven’t ridden my Vespa in 5 mths so I think I’ll sell that, toying with the idea of a Ducati Monster or a Diesel Smart Fortwo.. undecided…

Deveron53
    Free Member

Bought SB95 in June. I’d sold my Mega 2 years ago to fund our jump to a new life in the Oil and Gas industry. So how could she object? I spent 2 years on an Inbred which is a nice bike but I’ve been fully suspended since I bought an LTS in 1996!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Actual whole bikes or bits?

if it’s whole bikes then it’s just over 6 years. If it’s parts then about 6 weeks. Didn’t need to try and explain it away as it was a birthday present.

khani
    Free Member

End of March,
    It was free, so no getting it by the mrs needed
    We get a bike to work voucher paid for by work as part of the staff benefits package 😀
    Normally a one in one out rule applies which limits the number you can own, but because it was free I didn’t have to get rid one of the others when I came, so now the number I own has gone up..
    Therefore if/when it goes I can get another without getting rid of any of the others…
    The fact a £500 BTW bike can over time turn into a £?000’s of carbon Turner Tzar doesn’t matter.
    One in one out…

nbt

the last *bike* I bought was four years ago.

About 12 months ago I built up a new bike by buying all the bits second hand and putting it together myself 🙂

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Full bike, years ago. Separate bits? Well I just picked up a frame this week for the next build 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Don’t tend to buy bikes, just pick up frames, wheels, forks, parts whenever I see something I want for a decent price. Latest parts arrived this morning destined for a 29er XC race bike project. I then break bikes up and build others up from the parts bin when I have the time. I think my wife trusts me to keep it all sensible and not spend a fortune 🙂 I do probably have enough stuff for about a dozen complete bike builds though, and a CX is definitely on the want list!

she doesn’t want me to accumulate or clutter the house is all

I have a lot of sizeable boxes in the loft 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

Months. The introduction of 650B has made me decide to get max life out of everything.

failedengineer

I’ve bought 3 this year (but none for a good while before): Whyte T129 works, a custom build Croix de Fer and a Triumph Bonneville T100. I’ve sold a Pace Rc200, a Lemond Alpes D’Huez, an Orange 5 and a Triumph Tiger 800. We are counting motorcycles, aren’t we?

wrecker
    Free Member

May I see a pic of the bonnie please?
    Never had a motorbike, but that’s the one I want.

cr500dom
    Free Member

Couple of months for a complete bike (Kona Minute thanks to the PSA on here) was commuter/kiddie carrier and I broke down my Big Slicked, Alfined Rigid MTB commuter to make way for it.

Bits…. Picked up my new Bargain Hope brakes from Halfords on Tuesday for the “Triggers Broom” MTB

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

this about 5 months ago, rode it to work today…. awaiting creepy dark ride back on unlit lanes 😯

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Tuesday, bikewise.
    Wednesday, bitswise. 🙂

D0NK

monday but it was bottom bracket and tyres, replacements for knackered items. Haven’t bought anything none-consumable for a while
    (tho granted in mtb pretty much everything could be classed as consumables)

hora
    Free Member

I can’t remember/haven’t been counting

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘How long since your last bike purchase?’ is closed to new replies.