Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • How long should it take now-a-days?
  • shoefiti
    Free Member

When you turn a computer on, and you work for a company like a school, the council, government org etc…. before the start button is pressed and when you can start with the boring stuff. I’m thinking that now-a-days I can pretty much get a full English cooked in the staff kitchen. Are things going backwards? or am I gust getting quicker at cooking?

geoffj

Depends how good your guys with the comedy ties and key chains are.

muddy9mtb

think the keyword there was government! however fit a solid state drive and the computer should boot in less than 20 seconds.

fasthaggis

Put some cheese on it

somouk
    Free Member

The biggest issues in these organisations is normally the time from logging in to getting a usable desktop because of profile issues.

An SSD would speed things up but I doubt IT will be putting one of those in for you.

If you keep a lot of stuff on your desktop get rid of that and put it in your shared drive location instead.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

however fit a solid state drive and the computer should boot in less than 20 seconds.

How does that help haul a user profile over an over used network at peak times?

dknwhy

Takes me about 5 minutes when in the office and 10 at home when I have to log into vpn.
    I lose most time waiting for packages to catch up when I want to open documents.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Yup, gov.uk employee here – can switch on PC, do the bitlogger thing then go and get showered/changed before my desktop is ready for logon.

timidwheeler

Took me 23 mins this morning.

muddy9mtb

mr smith… don’t believe op mentioned actually logging in?! by which they refer to “the boring stuff”

mrwhyte
    Free Member

16 minutes this morning. I made a cup of tea and ate 3 biscuits. I work in a school…. IT here is shocking.

somouk
    Free Member

The disk encryption in use in a lot of government places now doesn’t help for sure.

Just think of it as free time that you are being paid for and can go eat biscuits!

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I avoid all this by leaving mine turned on all the time…..

Yup, gov.uk employee here – can switch on PC, do the bitlogger thing then go and get showered/changed before my desktop is ready for logon.

Used to take me 15 minutes every morning when running XP. They recently switched to windows 7 and a different HDD encryption type which has sped up the login to normal. But funnily enough it now takes about 10 minutes to shut down, unless I’m working over a remote connection, when can take up to an hour!

allthepies
    Free Member

Recently my logins and logoffs were taking 25 minutes 😯

I then found out that I had > 4Gb of data in my windows roaming profile thing, hence the delay 🙂

Now takes ~ 1 minute after some moving/zapping of profile data.

cp

If you only use one computer and you have an OK IT department that are happy to tweak such things, then disabling roaming profiles helps a lot.

slowoldman

Stick anything on a corporate network and zzzzzzzzz.

TheBrick
    Free Member

When have been away for a week or so the first time I plug my laptop into he network it can take well over an hour to boot. I have taken it to it but no luck.

Northwind

Ours are basically decent machines and the network is reasonable too but they get absolutely minimal maintenance so lots of bloat, also they’re all completely full of dust which doesn’t help. So my own laptop- which is rubbish- gets up and running with my work profile, over wireless, in about 1/4 the time as my far better desktop with cable

When I was in the bank, I used to fire it up, nip off and get changed out of my cycling or motorbike kit, come back and it was still starting. But my boss took offence at that effective use of dead time, and decreed that we have to sit in front of the booting PC and watch it. Totally pointless but she’d rather have us do nothing, work related, than something useful, not work related, because she was a dick.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘How long should it take now-a-days?’ is closed to new replies.