Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • How long should a free hub last? Superstar content…
  • BFITH
    Free Member

Had a bit of a walk home last night after my freehub went mid-ride….
    Superstar evolution free hub from a set of wheels I bought in December 2013… probably only done 500 miles. The wheels in general have been great but I wouldn’t have thought this would have happened. Should I get all angry with superstar or just MTFU and buy a new one?

[/url]Superstar evolution free hub by jpjrossi, on Flickr[/img]

trusty

I had the same happen a couple of years ago. They replaced it free of charge. Still a pain though

BFITH
    Free Member

Trusty – was yours still in warranty?

P-Jay
    Free Member

That design of freebody is frankly crap. As your wheels are less than 2 years old – email S* they’ll send you a short form to complete and return with the body. They’ll send you one of the newer ones straight away, you’ll be good to go for the weekend.

No need to go all Hulk on them, they’re very decent about it – they even found my proof of purchase for me when I couldn’t.

BFITH
    Free Member

Sounds good to me…..

connect2

Is that alloy? I went through a couple of alloy Switch freehubs until I switched (see what I did there?) to the steel freehub

Don’t get shouty, send it back politely explaining you’re disappointed and you may get lucky. I’ve found them very reasonable at dealing with complaints

BigDummy
    Free Member

Should I get all angry with superstar

From years of watching this question play out on the pages of this forum, I would say “no, do not bother getting all angry with superstar“.

You may want justice to prevail. You may want to right the wrongs of the world. You may want a functioning freehub so your bike works again. But trying to get any of that by getting angry with superstar is futile.

BFITH
    Free Member

Wasn’t really going to get angry – just send off an e-mail. I’m quite placid really….. 😐

rockhopper70

I can image the air turning blue…..

rockhopper70

Realisticlly, with the respray that is needed, the bearings being shot and now this, just tell the missus that you definitely need that new bike. You’d be saving her money in the long term.

BFITH
    Free Member

I can image the air turning blue…..

Not yet…..

Wife went round the block on her new steed last night (shell be wanting to come to the alps next 😕 )

andyrm
    Free Member

As has been said, absolutely no need to be angry. Just one of those things and you’ll be covered on 2 year warranty.

Get in touch, be nice, await new part for free. Job done 🙂

br
    Free Member

Wasn’t really going to get angry – just send off an e-mail. I’m quite placid really…..

Except you posted on here first… 🙄

BFITH
    Free Member

Polite e-mail sent…….

stuker
    Free Member

The exact same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I had e done about 2000 Kms on mine so not a lot. Must be a manufacturing defect?
    SS replaced it with the new Switch Ultra freehub

P-Jay
    Free Member

stuker – Member

The exact same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I had e done about 2000 Kms on mine so not a lot. Must be a manufacturing defect?
    SS replaced it with the new Switch Ultra freehub

It’s just a poor design.

This is a Novatec freebody, but the Superstar ones are the same. There’s only a tiny amount of material behind when the pawls are attached it doesn’t take much to crack them – sometimes they crack in normal use, but it’s almost impossible to change the bearings in them without cracking them (especially if you fail to remove the grub screw which some do).

The newers ones are thicker at that point.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘How long should a free hub last? Superstar content…’ is closed to new replies.