Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • How long is your commute?
  • Travis

Hi,
    This has probably been done before, but as I’m getting old, and I’m starting to fail at all things tech.. I can’t find it.

Anyway, maybe moving back to UK soon, so I’m looking at houses and distances from work.

I’m not used to the British climate anymore, so I’m looking at what people normally do.

Regards,
    Travis

seadog101

UK to Guyana and back, every 4 weeks, takes 2 days each way.

Travis

ah… should’ve added the word cycling to it.

How long is your Cycling commute…

whereisthurso
    Free Member

I do 14 miles to and from Edinburgh each day.

At the moment the only problem I’m having with the British climate is that it’s so blooming windy but then i suspect I’ll soon have to add cold and wet to that. Having good or bad shower facilities at work can make or break any commute though. Fortunately mine are good.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

1.9km but I live in Oz…
    In the UK the distance and the time are not proportional, google maps directions with a time of day is good at this stuff now. Better to say where your working and planning to live. I’ve worked in the same place but lived 15 miles to the east and 30 miles to the west, commute could be similar (all on motorways)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ah 7 mins downhill so no shower needed

Pook

50 miles each way by car or train

jonba
    Free Member

6 miles each way but 10 would be fine year Round. Depends how fit you are and what the terrain is. I wouldn’t want my commute to be more than 1h as it would be a significant chunk of my free time.

Daffy

18 miles each way – 50mins give or take. Just about to set off.

M

hjghg5
    Free Member

5 miles each way. I like it because I can make it longer quite easily, but take the shortest route home if I really need to.

ferrals
    Free Member

15km, downhill to flat on way in, uphill and prevailing headwind on way home,

thecaptain
    Free Member

I did 11 mile flat in Bedfordshire where it’s relatively dry. 6-8 in wetter areas on Wirral. 30-40 mins is reasonable, much more takes a fair amount of dedication.

blitz

A pretty flat 10 miles which is about perfect. 35 mins +/- 5 mins depending on traffic and weather conditions. Enough to be a decent work out but not too long. I tend to go a bit easier in and blast home.

mrlugz
    Free Member

12K each way for me. Relatively flat, sub 30 mins most days, really looking forward to the dark, cold mornings.

Also feel like Im getting old…

qwerty
    Free Member

3 flat miles, some tow path, I get to see herons & kingfishers. Its good therapy 🙂

kilo

Just under seven miles each way, not in anyway an onerous route profile but up through south west London so the traffic is a bit cheeky. Can’t usually be bothered doing it every day especially as its much quicker on the tube and the shower and locker facilities are poor at work. Homeward tends to be dicier than going in to work, mainly due to Tooting being particularly dangerous when busy, kamikaze pedestrians, crappy driving, etc

jeffl

15 miles each way. Do it two to three times a week, sometimes take the scenic option through the peaks (yes I know it’s the Peak District but that doesn’t read write and it’s early in the morning) which pushes it out to 25-30 miles each way.

Junkyard
    Free Member

18 miles each way essentially flat – 330 ft of climbing!!!
    Considerably slower than Daffy but it is mainly shared use and pretty rough and meandering path 1 hr 15 mins ish.

Flaperon

Leeds to Heathrow four times a month. 3.5 hour drive, or 40 minute flight, or 3 hours on the abomination that is Virgin Rail East Coast.

richmars

12 miles each way, usually do it 160+ times a year. This time of year weather doesn’t stop me riding in, winter time I drive if it’s wet or below freezing.
    Pretty flat, with about 4 miles off road.

IHN

21 miles each way, do it once a week. Just too far to do it every day.

mos

10 miles each way if i take the short route.
    700ft on the way in & 1500ft on the way home.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

7 miles in, 11.5 home flat commute. May add a bit extra if it is a nice evening.
    Only drive in if the puddles completely span the road.

lunge

40 miles each way.
    2 days per week on the train.
    3 on the bike. Normally do half way in and then get the train for the second half then ride all the way back. Sometimes do full ride both ways, sometimes get the train halfway back too. Depends how energetic I’m feeling.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

12 miles ish each way depending on my exact route. I keep things interesting with different variations on a theme.

All road + paved cycle paths – 50 minutes ish
    Mix of roads, tracks and trails + cycle ways – just over an hour ish.

Inside secure bike storage and a shower at work is a bonus.

I’ll do that on average 3 times a week and leave enough clothing supplies at work on the days that I come in the car.

And yes, this thread theme does come up quite often!

cloudnine
    Free Member

10 miles with 1000ft climbing each way following the shortest route.
    Usually do it twice a week with a bimble easy ride in and take a longer 20 miles home ridden at threshold or with sprint intervals or via the hilliest option. Drive the other 2 days. Try and get one longer ride at the weekend.

jimmy

I do 14 miles to and from Edinburgh each day.

At the moment the only problem I’m having with the British climate is that it’s so blooming windy but then i suspect I’ll soon have to add cold and wet to that. Having good or bad shower facilities at work can make or break any commute though. Fortunately mine are good.

that saved me the typing

Toddboy
    Free Member

UK to Tanzania every 6 weeks. 4 flights, 2 days each way.

Daffy

18 miles each way essentially flat – 330 ft of climbing!!!
    Considerably slower than Daffy but it is mainly shared use and pretty rough and meandering path 1 hr 15 mins ish.

Mine’s fairly forgiving, with about a 1/3 split between A/B road, Town centre traffic and cycle paths with a million* junctions. 500-800ft of climb.

* this may be an exaggeration.

Stoner
    Free Member

Depending on where my meetings are (current projects in Shoreditch and Chelsea mean a lot at the moment) anywhere between 3 miles e/w to 25 miles+ of riding around London from Paddington. I do it only once a week though.

I wear work clothes, no helmet, and ride like the Dutch in order not to get a sweat on. Out of 40 odd such days a year, I reckon less than 6 or 7 are wet days.

lowey

14 miles each way. I juggle between cycling and car.

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

22 miles each way, 4 times a week.

Depth of winter usually drops down to 3 times a week, sometimes in summer if i have no weekend riding plans i do all 5 days but it gets me really tired.

njee20
    Free Member

21 miles each way, do it once a week. Just too far to do it every day.

A teeny bit far to do 5 times a week, so you do it once? 😉

Mines 45 miles, try and ride once a week and usually get the train at least part of the way home, or drive halfway and ride, then it’s 23 miles each way. From Surrey/Sussex to north London.

davidjey
    Free Member

About 6.5 miles direct, 9.5 miles the pretty way with several variations in between. Takes 25-35 mins depending on route and how hard I pedal.

Ride to work by default, it’s slower door-to-door to drive/get the train, and commuting by bike is good for my health (mental as well as physical – every time I drive to work I remind myself that doing it every day would be pretty depressing)

johndoh
    Free Member

2 miles each way mainly via cycle paths. It’s great.

disco_stu
    Free Member

4 miles if I take the quickest route via roads, 12 miles this morning taking in a mostly traffic free route via canal towpaths.

avdave2

3.5 miles each way all off road though I often make it longer in and out. Last night I added in 10 climbs up a short steep hill for fun. It’s a good distance as I can also walk it and when my foot is fully recovered hopefully I’ll be back to running it as well.

Danny79
    Free Member

13 miles each way a little hilly, never on a Friday though folk seem to be extra keen to get to the pub at the end of the day.

plumber
    Free Member

Approx 15 miles

either road or towpath so either 55 mins or 70 mins

relatively stress free but traffic in the afternoons can be interesting

Daffy

I don’t tend to mind the rain and the cold, it’s strong wind that often stops me from riding as it’s usually directly opposing my direction of travel. Anything above 15mph headwind and I’d consider driving half the distance and riding the rest.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘How long is your commute?’ is closed to new replies.