Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • How long is a piece of string :)
  • drofluf
    Free Member

OK almost impossible to answer but….

How many miles should a tyre last?

Mainly off road (80%) cross country type riding on trails, gravel paths etc. I’m a fairly gentle rider and try not to skid too much

wwaswas

How long is a piece of string

2 times distance from middle to one end.

hth.

Houns

2 times half it’s length

donsimon
    Free Member

How long is a piece of string (sic)

*Hold fingers in the air, “This long”.*

Mantastic
    Free Member

you should be able to last at least a year.

PJM1974
    Free Member

It totally depends on riding style and terrain. I’ve had Conti Verticals used mainly on gentle off road trails that have easily clocked up a thousand miles but I’ve ronnied a set of Panaracers in just a few months of really aggressive riding.

Oh and as for the string, it’s hard to say for string is generally wet when it’s produced and therefore is subject to shrinkage.

Squidlord
    Free Member

No, Hao Long is a village in Vietnam.

IGMC

jonba
    Free Member

There was a documentary on the string idea done by that math’s geezer. I seem to remember the piece of string being infintely as it just depended on how accurately you measure it. Something to do with fractals.

Anyway, tyres, about a year. Normally the back one will go first so if you run the same tyres it’s often worth just putting a new one on the front and the front on the rear whenever the rear wears out. Also I try and buy new ones in autumn as that way you get the new tyre grip when you need it when the trails are wet and muddy. In summer you are left with a less grippy but faster tyre for drier conditions.

drofluf
    Free Member

Thanks for all the serious (and not so serious :D) answers!

clubber
    Free Member

Hao High is a Chinaman

Trimix
    Free Member

As long as it takes to wear them out.

Your question should be “how do I know when my tyres are worn out”

Mine are worn out when my slides under braking go from being entertaining to dangerous.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Tyre life for me seems to be pre and post Jedi. They used to die in the centre. Now I think they’re going to die on the edges (and sooner).

dan1980
    Free Member

How long is a piece of string

2 times distance from middle to one end.

There was an almost interesting thing on Horizon a while ago with the regular panalist from QI (Alan Davis?) asking the same question, and showing the answer isn’t quite that simple.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My supertacky rear highroller was buggered after a week in Spain.

Normal tyres seem to last much longer, I’ll usualy buy 2 or 3 sets in a year. One for winter, one for summer, and a new front supertacky for hollidays.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There was an almost interesting thing on Horizon a while ago with the regular panalist from QI (Alan Davis?) asking the same question, and showing the answer isn’t quite that simple.

I haven’t seen that but isn’t it part of a parable or proverb of some sort?

A bit like everyone assumes the chicken or egg question is unanswerable, when in fact it was Darwins thought experiment, the egg came first and was laid by a chicken like creature.

dan1980
    Free Member

Not sure about the parable/proverb thing, but if I recall, the gist of the program was you can’t really know how long something is, because if you keep going small enough, at an atomic level stuff is moving about so until we can hit absolute zero we can’t know exactly how long something is.

Found a link on youtube if you want to watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbodZKrAOGg

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘How long is a piece of string :)’ is closed to new replies.