Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • How long is a lap at the Dusk till Dawn race Thetford?
  • dan98
    Free Member

Hi All,

Anyone know how long a lap is at the D2D race at thetford this weekend?

Many thanks

Dan

mtbtomo
    Free Member

According to the website…

"The course covers more than 11 miles of fire roads and flowing singletrack twining through the trees."

atlaz
    Free Member

Depending how crap I am riding at night, I'm guessing 60 mins a lap if it's as flat as I'm told and I'm as unfit as I think I am.

dan98
    Free Member

Cheers!!

Ben_Haworth

After a few years of missing DTD I was all set for doing it this year – and then illness strikes down my team 🙁

Have a good race folks!

njee20
    Free Member

Looks like a spot of rain, should dampen the course nicely and keep the dust at bay!

Thetford miles are only half as long as some other places though, it's odd like that…

will
    Free Member

😆 All depends if you being a proper rider and soloing it 😉

stumpy01

njee20 – half as long?? I thought the saying was that Thetdord miles were twice as long…..?!

njee20
    Free Member

Maybe I mean twice as long… I mean that an 11 mile lap at Thetford is far quicker than anywhere else!

theotherjonv

Maybe for the proper riders, but for the likes of me, i find Thetford miles at least as hard if not harder than others.

The problem I have is:

1. It's great, twisty, flowing singletrack, that demands that you try your hardest and stomp out of every corner to give you the buzz. Something about it means you can't sit back and spin.

2. There's no downhill, no coasting. You pedal all the way.

What gets me then as a fat, unfit 40 is that once you start to lose energy and rhythm, you start to eat into your energy stocks on every corner which eats a bit more away, and once you start to falter you go backwards pretty fast. Of course, if you start slowly and ride within yourself this won't happen, but that defies statement 1……

And even if that doesn't mess you up, those daft peak and trough sections will.

flange
    Free Member

The course is 9.8 miles

I can't wait – first year doing it and I'm doing it solo.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

My first year also , but ive done my back in, and the chiro said i shouldnt ride it..

stumpy01

I'm with theotherjonv on this one – I find Thetford really hard – pretty much for the reasons he has outlined.

flange – is that distance from the thetfordmtb website or do you have inside info?

stumpy_m4 – not wanting to be a killjoy but the undulations, bumps etc. at Thetford do tend to provoke achy lower back. Be careful.

will
    Free Member

Can't wait now!!

Dan67
    Free Member

ah yes thetford back. Make sure you do all your stretches on your otherwise you will be really achy. It is a bugger when racing.
    My first D2D this year done all of the enduros at thetford in the past 2 years. Im doing a team of 4 so will be easy (hopefully).

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

stumpy_m4 – not wanting to be a killjoy but the undulations, bumps etc. at Thetford do tend to provoke achy lower back. Be careful

Thanks for the warning , ive decided to give it a miss ..
    Id rather give the ride up than do some proper damage to my back .. there`s always next year !

njee20
    Free Member

Agreed it's hard, but it's also very fast, you can't really do 11 off road miles faster anywhere else!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘How long is a lap at the Dusk till Dawn race Thetford?’ is closed to new replies.