Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • How long in training before going for long endurance rides?
  • curiousyellow
    Free Member

There’s a local sportive happening soon (just over 3 weeks time) and I’d like to do it to see a bit more of the countryside around where I live while being guided and fed. At 125km and just over a 1000m of climbing it’s not the most demanding in the world. I’ve ridden the distance several times in the past, but it’s always been after a gradual build up to it over 6-8 weeks.

The last time I rode anything close to that distance was in September. In my place, would you have a go at riding the distance with just a couple of weekends to fit in a couple of longer rides?

I’ve been riding MTB and running XC over Autumn and Winter so it’s not like I’ve done nothing (more running in Winter and more MTB in the last few weeks since it got warmer).

mtbcoach
    Free Member

You’re not going to gain any significant fitness in the next three weeks, so you should probably focus on preparing for it with equipment choices and clothing etc. Do a couple of longer rides and make sure you know how much you need to eat, that your shorts are comfy and you can carry everything you need to. If you’ve done the distance before, you’ll be able to cope just fine. Maybe just start a little more conservatively than you would if you’d built up to it.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Yeah I’d give its go. As long as you stay within your comfort zone, stop for feeds, hydrate. Biggest danger is pushing too hard. Remember it’s not a race. Expect to be slow to stay within your comfort zone. Get a few longer rides in if you can.

mtbel
    Free Member

ignore the sportive, save your money and just go out and ride the same route. if you are semi fit you shouldn’t need to train to do 70odd flat miles. I’d suggest you do it in the evening as kebab shops and chippies will be open if you feel hungry/thirsty and the roads will be so quiet it’ll feel like you have your own personal road closures.
    Don’t forget to zip-tie a number on your bike and buy a wee plastic medal from a toy shop to go with the “certificate of achievement” you’ve printed out at home.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Cool.

Plan is to ride 70km this weekend (bailout option at 50km), and maybe 100km the weekend after if the body feels up for it. Else I’ll just enter and do the shorter route (80-ish km).

mtbel
    Free Member

alternatively. ride 40miles this weekend, 50 the next, 60 the next… you get the idea 😉

epicyclo

mtbel – Member
    …if you are semi fit you shouldn’t need to train to do 70odd flat miles…

^^+1

jonba
    Free Member

Sportives can add a sense of occasion so do it if you want. Personally I don’t do many anymore as with a group of riding mates and a GPS we can make our own up. But I used to do the local one because it was fun, and fun is a good reason.

In 3 weeks not much will happen. Go out and do a couple of 50 mile rides, enjoy yourself and make sure your bike works. For the day itself just start slow, don’t get caught up with people who want to go faster than you are capable of. If you have anything left then ride hard at the end. If you are not unfit then a steady pace will see you round.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Thanks for all the responses.

I’m not worried that I’ve not got the distance in me, but more whether I can finish and not pick up some overuse injury. I’ve got a bike holiday on the MTB coming up in a couple of months coming up and I don’t want to nix that or be less than 100% for it.

I’m not treating it as a race so not worried about trying to beat other folk and such. I just want to enjoy the day, improve my fitness a bit, see what other routes are available around my area and have fun!

scotroutes

Take it easy. Set off early. What’s the worst that can happen – they’ve all gone home by the time you finish?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘How long in training before going for long endurance rides?’ is closed to new replies.