• This topic has 130 replies, 103 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 131 total)
  • How long have you been frequenting the forum?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Since 2001 I think.

Used to be coolhandluke11 before the big hack, when it was red and beige.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I honestly have no idea, but I bought issue 1 of the mag and subscribed from issue 2… so whenever that was.

Was on BM before that!

scotchegg
    Free Member

I was once bike_tart around 2002 I think.

After meeting chips at the cheddar challenge. Them were the days. Dual slalom and Kelly Salone on a dating show.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Lionheart
    Free Member

Quite a long time! Think ten ish years, have busy years and quieter years. Busier with work this year and more motorbikes so a quieter year. It’s not like the old days or even the middle years but much appreciated from time to time.
    Rich

ART

Since GoFar …one of the ‘founding’ 200 original subscribers …. A lifer me 🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

About 18 months before the Hack, can’t remember what I used to call myself either. How long ago is that?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Almost 10 years.

You lucky lucky people!

twistedpencil

Since issue 11 or 12 though I’m mainly a lurker rather than a poster. Had given given on it a few years back, but the last twelve months have seen me visit probably daily. I likes it here 🙂

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

coolhandluke – Member
    when it was red and beige.

With the same bloke in the top left hand side of the page for EVER, don’t miss him!

I still miss the prawn though, what a funny chap, met him once or twice too 🙂
    I still remember when my thread was the first to go over 100 posts, I think it was entitled “So it’s Saturday night, what are you doing?” or similar.

I have some great memories of this forum & the rides & the people I have met on here, I just love how this forum is despite the odd hiccup & some late night discussions with Mark & Chipps, it’s the reason I still come here as I am not really a “mountain” biker anymore 🙁

Militant_biker

Another one from GoFar days – not sure exactly when… Not that I post much

solarpowered
    Free Member

I wish I could ‘frequent’ it a little more often! I’ve dipped in and out when I’ve been able to for a year now – and found the site by word of mouth! It’s been wonderful! The knowledge, general caring for other humans and humour make me come back as often as possible. I can quite actually say that without the forum, I wouldn’t be where I am today (bike wise)…. I met a ton of absolutely wonderful people through this website! Portlyone needs a thanks as he made my first mtb ride happen! I think I’d still be pottering around north mancheste trails if it wasn’t for him!
    It’s a BRILLIANT forum and I thank all who need thanking for making it is what it is! (wish I could contribute a little more though ….)
    Many thanks you bunch of wollys who make me laugh a lot!!!
    (Will I be saying all that after ten years I wonder….. :wink:)

brack
    Free Member

10 years…

My oh my how life has changed…joined when I was renovating a large property with my ex, remember logging on amongst rubble from the build.

The stress of the build and a realisation that we wanted different things from life saw me walk down the driveway of my dream home and partner of 12 years with just a rucksack on my back.

Travelled the world as a remote medic – some interesting jobs in some ridiculously dangerous situations – Afghan, Pakistan, India, Borneo etc etc

Came back on/ off after a couple of years..lived out of the back of my VW T4 for a year whilst working as a Paramedic – helping the homeless whilst never letting on I was homeless myself.

Bought a farm in Romania

Got back on the property ladder here in the UK.. met a local lass.

Sat writing this with a 5 day old beautiful boy fast asleep next to me…

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

brack, quite touching, but the soul mate bit was clearly wrong, unless you are having second thoughts 😉

brack
    Free Member

😀 sorted it..you are quite correct.

No regrets here

sideshowdave
    Free Member

From issue 1, when I rode a bike with rubbish gears and no suspension , now I ride a rigid bike with one gear. How things change 😆

bernard
    Free Member

Just had a look at the classic threads thread forgot the forum used to look like that, brings back some memories. Hadnt beed a member long and met a bloke who said he was on here as ‘Beer’ said he had been banned anyone remember him?

DezB
    Free Member

Longer than some, not as long as others.
    Made some good mates off here in that time 🙂

CountZero

I remember Beer, but no more than that.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Since the GOFAR days for me too, couldn’t tell you what year that was though

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

bernard – Member

Just had a look at the classic threads thread forgot the forum used to look like that, brings back some memories. Hadnt beed a member long and met a bloke who said he was on here as ‘Beer’ said he had been banned anyone remember him?
    Oh we remember, but you are obviously beer & I claim my £5!

bernard
    Free Member

nope I’m not, he was guiding in spain where we were on hols one year. He was banned around the time I joined so I never knew him on here he would never divulge why he had been banned and seemed okay in the flesh was always curious.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

What, bi curious?

bernard
    Free Member

no ale curious

zokes
    Free Member

Aye, about 10 years for me

DavidB
    Free Member

Before ormondroyd and I have all the scars including emails from Chipps and Mark

freddyg
    Free Member

I joined in 2002 (I think). I found the place shortly after getting into biking while looking for advice on lights for my first night ride.

It’s a great forum full of humour and compassion and has helped me with many things over the years. I even announced the birth of my son here before I told the rest of my family – back in 2005! I dread to think how much time I’ve spent here when I should have been working!

epicyclo

scotroutes – Member
    “epicyclo » …Lost my original username too, which was a bummer.”
    I can see why you changed it. Was the “A” short for something?

Genius!

I was puzzled by this. I was sure I didn’t have the letter A in my original username and this sailed straight over my head until it hit me this morning. 🙂

slowoldgit
    Free Member

GoFar and issue one, remembering the night beer got outed as The Troll, DST1 who became dizzy. Oh, and the famous wedding tackle pic.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Since 2003 here. I was Chas_T until their server blew up (2008?) when I fancied a new nom de plume.

yetidave
    Free Member

since the summer of 2006, started a new job and was introduced by a new college – Not forgiven him yet!

senorj

I reckon 7-8 years ,
    although my dependency/activity has increased as the years have passed by…… 🙁

binners

I used to come here when it was all fields

I’M 96 YOU KNOW!! STILL GOT ALL MY OWN TEETH!!!!!!

yossarian
    Free Member

Around 10 years for me. Started off as faster_slower then became yossarian after the great hack.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

No idea.
    Pre-hack certainly. Oldest email I can find referencing STW is from 2007.
    Used to frequent Bikemagic some 13 years ago, and made the switch a couple of years later I think.

I’ve got the same username on road.cc, but don’t post as much on there.
    I’m getting opld though as I’ve just registered on yacf…

michaelbowden

Somewhen in 2001, but post GoFar. Just after I got my first ofice job after coming off the tools. BM before that.

momo

About 8 years here, had the same username pre-hack too.

spacemonkey

2001 IIRC.

Am I right in thinking there used to be some kind of annual STW gathering/feast back in the day?

LenHankie
    Free Member

Since just before the Great Hack, so sometime around Xmas 2008.

Tracey

Spring 2003 for me just before my first trip to Verbier on the girlie week.

surfer
    Free Member

Pre 2000 I think. Daisy Duke introduced me to it when we worked together.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘How long have you been frequenting the forum?’ is closed to new replies.