Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)
  • How long from putting on market to getting views on a house??
  • renton
    Free Member

Sorry the house is in England.

The other two went for over asking and had loads of interest!

renton
    Free Member

Dont get it Jambo?

Rockape63
    Free Member

Dont get it Jambo?

Humour….arf arf!

PiknMix
    Free Member

I would take the OIEO now, if you want more than 150k for it then ask for it as a figure rather than the ambiguous in excess of.
    I am on the property sites hourly at the moment due to a purchase that is dragging on and OIEO really put me off.
    Being honest I wouldn’t want a viewing on yours due to the garden being next to the parking, the garden being overlooked and not having parking on my own land or a garage to fettle in.

That being said, your house is very nice and looks to be well looked after.

If you haven’t even had a viewing then it’s too expensive to get people through the door.

bamboo
    Free Member

I’d bet if you put it on at 125k you’d probably sell it very quickly. The closer you get to 150k, the longer it may take to sell. It all depends how much you want to be in a position to offer and proceed on the other house that you want to buy: drop your price, get a quick sale, and be able to proceed with the other house, or keep the price high and run the risk of missing out on the other house.

renton
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

Just to point out though the house is in England.!!!

We currently rent it out aswell.

Surely though if the two other that sold earlier in the year went for £15200 and £152750 respectivley and also bearing in mind that house prices have risen slightly in the area I thought my asking price of £150k was quite reasonble considering that since we bought it in 2007 its had the following….

new windows
    new patio window
    new kitchen (twice)
    full redecorate(Twice !)
    new boiler in 2011.
    cavity wall insulation.

All it needs really is a redec in your own colour scheme

Or am i being optomistic?

PiknMix
    Free Member

If no one has even viewed it then either your estate agent have done absolutely nothing or it’s too expensive. As said it looks in great condition.
    Are you tied in to a soul agency clause? If so how long for? If not is instructing another agent an option?

johndoh
    Free Member

Did you get three agents to value the property or just use the one that sold the other two houses?

I wouldn’t panic though – just because other houses sold quickly it doesn’t mean yours will. People are fickle, odd things about a house turn people on or off and maybe yours has something about it people don’t like.

Did your agent offer pro photos as an upgrade? The images are a bit bland and I bet nicer pics wold get you more interest.

renton
    Free Member

It was valued with two agents and I went with the one that sold the other two houses on the close.

renton
    Free Member

How do you think it compares to others in the same area in the same price bracket?

Any sticking out that look better value for money?

rocketman
    Free Member

This week the foreign gentleman who’s interested in my late uncle’s house but couldn’t get a mortgage because he has no credit history has offered us the asking price.

In cash 😯

footflaps

Possibly the market has peaked recently and prices are taking a small dip….

Philby

IMO it doesn’t look as attractive as some of the other houses you linked to, for example the front ‘garden’,lack of a driveway (and garage) and proximity to the an external parking area. The whole image of the property in the photos doesn’t show any warmth e.g. the blinds and lack of greenery in the front ‘garden’ – its looks like a house not a home. Could you put a tub with some plants in the front to make it a little more appealing.

The possibility of interest rate rises might also be putting a few potential purchasers off. Also Offers In Excess Of will put people off as they won’t know how much over the asking price to bid. Why didn’t the agent put it on at £165k and then you could have taken offers under the asking price and maybe go £162k?

darrenspink
    Free Member

Checked crime map? Maybe its because of tje car park next door?
    Sorry to say but no interest means far too expensive.

Prices are going down (on average)

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP it looks clean and tidy, details good. If things don’t pick up I would put it on with another agent and pay the higher joint agent fee.

Just one minor nitpick the wallpaper and reddish colour might not be to everyone’s taste. The kitchen/diner is more neutral. However I can’t see this being a big factor in viewings though.

EDIT: I just read the offers in excess of comments, yes take that off now or just put it on for £160 and take a lower offer.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Ones that I would look at first,

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-48082088.html

It’s only 5k more (or even the same asking price given your OIEO) granted it’s probably decorated badly given lack of internal pics. It does however have a garage and the front aspect looks nice and offers off road parking.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-44973136.html

This one is much cheaper and although terraced it’s decorated immaculately, the rear garden is big and not overlooked. It also has outbuildings. The drive is huge as well for off-road parking/potential extension.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31845210.html

This is the one most comparable to yours in price, however it looks much more spacious and the back garden has nothing behind it.

It’s all very personal as not everyone has the same tastes/priorities when house hunting.

renton
    Free Member

Cheers for the reply pik n mix.

Can I add the following points about the houses you have linked to….

link number 1 …

Needs a new bathroom and kitchen and is generally slightly smaller all round than our house. it does have the garage and drive in front of it though.

link two…
    house is in one of the roughest areas of Worcester city.

link 3….

nice house and I know the area well as I grew up around it.

If you look at the street view of it there is communal parking right outside it and it is also tucked right in the corner and has most of the side of the house next door joined on to it.

One thing mine has that all of the rest dont is a downstairs toilet and sink. would this not appeal more to families?

PiknMix
    Free Member

Then it appears all of your main competitors have a compromise. I wonder if any of them have had any viewings? Houses are a funny old game, but I don’t understand why you have had not even a sniff of interest. Our local market is still going bananas.

damo2576
    Free Member

Few things happening in the market that could explain it taking longer to sell your’s than those you’ve seen some months or so earlier. But after a few days you can’t really say.

Those factors however are the increased controls on mortgage lending and more likely prospect now of interest rates.

Other factor of course is location and which price range you’re in within that market, I just bought a house in London which was a real struggle – foreign cash, offers over asking price, sealed bids etc. On the other side at the same time I was selling a house in Brighton, people struggling to get mortgages, very slow market and so on. It took us over a year to sell that place.

Edit: Just saw link you your place. I note you’re asking offers over X. I personally would never do this (despite what agents tell you) as I’ve always been surprised how reluctant buyers are to make offers, it’s almost like they’re shy or scared of offending. Probably a British thing. If you want X list it at X would be my advice.

renton
    Free Member

house selling is a bunch or arse !!

On a brighter note we have our first viewing on monday.. a lady looking for a couple of Buy to Let properties!

PiknMix
    Free Member

Selling and buying is a bunch of arse!
    Best of luck for Monday 🙂

br
    Free Member

tbh What you’ve done to the house since you bought it is irrelevant; eg you know you paid £1000 for a new Boiler; all the Buyer is interested in is how old/condition of the Boiler. It adds nothing to the price. Same for everything else you’ve done, all it may do is make it less/more saleable.

And offers over just makes a Buyer think they may get involved in a bidding way with other Buyers for a greedy Seller – who may pull out and/or want more at the 11th hour.

MrSmith
    Free Member

This seems abit weird to me as one of the others that sold earlier in the year

That was then, this is now and things are a bit different.
    mass viewings on Saturday, bidding war on Monday 6 months ago, now the agents are ringing me up to view property I couldn’t even get to see before)

Offers over would put me off, put a price up and then people will offer under and if it’s turned down they can always come up. Offers over only works when the market is mental, in a lot of areas it’s starting to swing towards a buyers market.

brooess
    Free Member

I’d be put off by ‘offers over’. Comes across as greedy (not saying you are OP, it’s just the impression it gives). As a buyer I’ll offer what I’ll offer and if you don’t like it I may go up… or I may walk away

Don’t know if other buyers feel like that or not.

In London, sentiment has certainly changed in the last few weeks, so maybe that’s spreading wider around the country.
    It’s possible that this week people are feeling cautious because they’re scared about the impact of the Scottish thing

dantsw13

Kitchens and bathrooms sell houses and yours look good. If your price is right, you’ll sell.

Maybe the fact it’s tenanted puts people off? It shouldn’t do, but buyers can be fickle.

skids
    Free Member

offers in excess

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It only sells if you find someone who wants to live there.
    OIEO – just name your price
    It’s the end of summer, it’s 3 bedroom so potential for a family who would probably want to move over summer if they are moving kids
    Also if I was being cheeky, it’s rented so you will have given tenants notice or they will be getting sorted to move (same happened when our current landlord put house on the market) so I’d wait until they were gone and you were paying mortgage with no income when you would be a bit keener to sell.
    Apart from that if you want a price ask for it and wait, if you want to sell lower the price.

cb

I agree with Philby – yours doesn’t have ‘kerb’ appeal or is that ‘curb’? Phil Spencer has a lot to answer for!

Get some potted greenery in that minging (although very tidy) front garden – you need to get people in to appreciate how well you’ve done the interior. Get rid of the OIEO – I wouldn’t even look twice at a property with that on as it screams (IMO) out “I want to play buyers off against each other”.

mudshark
    Free Member

No agent has ever suggested I use OIEO so how does that come about? I’d drop it. Given the price others went for I’d have put it on for 155/160k, depending on what the agent suggested and expect to take an offer.

Is the agent getting more interest in other properties around that price?

bonchance
    Free Member

it does seem your agent has less knowledge than you – maybe that’s unusual.

But I’m amazed the agent doesn’t have a captive viewer (or two) to at least get a few people through the door (they wouldn’t play such tricks – would they!)

to me oieo always says something like – we may not be interested in selling, or join the queue punter.

Take OIEO off and possibly even drop the price by 2500 right now – it would flush out the rightmove lurkers – the latter only if you really can’t wait..

grum
    Free Member

They’ve got a mate who wants to buy it cheap and they’re deliberately giving you the impression there’s no interest in order to drive the price down. 😉

renton
    Free Member

Cheers for all the rpelies. most helpful.

when we lived in the house ourselves the front looked quite nice as we had pots and hanging baskets to add a bit of colour.

I am going to tell the EA to take the OIEO off next week and set the price a couple grand above the minimum we can afford to sell at.

Just out of interest, when you see it at 150000 OIEO would that lead you to think I am after 155k or above??

I wanted to market at 154500 and would more than ikely accept 152k for it.

what do you think

bonchance
    Free Member

Wait 21 days total, then bin OIEO. At that point leave it at 150k or drop it a tiny bit then depending on any prior interest. Your buyer may be watching.

Keep an open mind and evaluate any offers on merit + prior/other interest you had. You don’t have to sell (now) , but certainly can’t without offers.

People get very focussed on the last house sold price and 1k – but who knows what went on exactly. Things can change very quickly in the 3, 6 or 9 months the last sale took to finish.

Your agent needs to earn his fee and market the house more effectively (that includes the price) – poke them in the eye, speak to other agents as well. They speak to more vendors and buyers so should know what is going on. It’s their fing job after all and why you (will) pay them so much.

It’s not actually a market; just your 1 house, 1 single buyer and the deal your both prepared to agree. /lecture tone off

PS does it say it’s chain free? In by Xmas might motivate some.. Housing is quite seasonal – by mid Oct pull it till spring – in spite of what agent tells you (they don’t close and really need you to stay listed).

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

Just out of interest, when you see it at 150000 OIEO would that lead you to think I am after 155k or above??

I wanted to market at 154500 and would more than ikely accept 152k for it.

I would think that if you are after an offer in excess so 150k, so would start at £150,000.01 unless I was in a bidding war and desperate for the house. Not taking the mick, but OIEO really annoy many buyers, scare first time buyers and tell the market the vendor is not up for a deal when every buyer is up for a deal.

Putting a house up at £154500 I would want if for at least below £150k, if you want £150k for it, I would put it up at £160k. If you would only accept 152k, then it may be tricky as you’re already told the market you’ll take £150k with your previous price, so you’re rising your price despite no interest.

As others have said though my comments are all worthless, as the EA should be worrying about this and it should be largely irrelevant as you are paying for his client books not advert, and with no offers it sounds like his books are empty or full of the wrong buyers. Hassle him to get viewings, open house whatever, it’s on his interest to sell. If he has no buyers, bin him and get out of it. Presume the contract with the EA is short term, in which case if they can’t find the buyer before the contract is up, he’s had his chance find someone else who can prove they have buyers lined up, or at least viewers.

PiknMix
    Free Member

It won’t matter what you are going to do rentin as the viewer on Monday is going to buy it. Positivity and all that.

renton
    Free Member

Well just to update.

The viewing went really well. lots of positives about the house from the potential buyer. the only negative comment was that it was a bit dark due to colour schemes!!

They have booked for a second viewing on saturday? is that good or bad?

johndoh
    Free Member

Well they wouldn’t come back if it was bad 😕 but it doesn’t mean they will be putting an offer in.

weeksy

Generally good mate.

Although I am a bit bitter and twisted about buyers and viewings currently myself lol

renton
    Free Member

ha whats up with your house weeksy?? seem to remember it being really nice when I came over!

weeksy

Just a load of being messed about with buyers who end up not being buyers, going on holiday after putting offers in. Pulling out on offers. Viewings and coming and saying “oh we really wanted somewhere to park our vintage car”…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘How long from putting on market to getting views on a house??’ is closed to new replies.