Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)
  • How long from putting on market to getting views on a house??
  • renton
    Free Member

Just curious really.

A couple of houses in the same close as mine went on the market earlier in the year and sold within 3 or 4 days of going on the market.

One was put on Friday. Had viewings Saturday and Sunday and then sold on the Monday for over the asking price.

The other one was pretty much the same.

Our house is the same type of house and only differs from the first one as it doesn’t have a garage.

We have put ours on the market Friday for less than both of the others sold for with the same estate agent as them because they told me they had people on the book after that type of property and that it would fly out???

So far we have had no interest what so ever???

Am I being impatient or what?

How long did it take to get viewings on your houses.?

Cheers

Steve

wwaswas

It’s all down to location so other peoples experience won’t match yours.

Ask the Agent how many of their ‘buyers’ they’ve sent details out to?

Personally, after 4 days I wouldn’t be too worried.

somouk
    Free Member

It’s holiday time people won’t be looking at houses as they’re skint.

Time of year plays a lot in selling houses as peoples finances fluctuate and different holiday periods come and go.

I’d worry if it’s been 6 months or more.

DrP

It will vary greatly.
    We put our house on the market (with tenant in situ) and it had a viewing and sold withing 24hrs..however the agent did have a buyer ‘lined up’ (or on the books etc).

DrP

brooess
    Free Member

Where are you?

In London, asking prices are dropping – quite dramatically in some cases and places are selling much less quickly than they were a year ago.
    This observation comes from the Property Bee add-on to Firefox rather than media scare stories…

The general sense from various research being released suggests prices have got to the point where few people can afford the prices being asked given the rises over the last year, and that this change has only come about in the last couple of months…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Was that last month (july)data brooess – where the market appeared to slow down based on year on year data

This months(august) data showed almost universal growth over same time last year again.

Anyway back on topic – what i found was at my price point anything decent with a garage flew out door

Anything without a garage took a bit longer to sell

rondo101
    Free Member

We had 22 viewings on our house, 9 offers with 4 over the asking price. Sold within a week of going on the market a little over 3 weeks ago. Bristol.

Unfortunately we were in the same boat when trying to buy somewhere & have had to pay over asking price for the new house, with 11 viewings & 4 offers going to best & final.

Given my track record with timings on buying houses, expect a sharp fall in house prices in the next 3 months.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

It will be your lazy arse agent. As you put it on at the weekend I doubt they have even matched you to any buyers yet. My mrs is an estate agent an the stories she tells me confirms why the profession has such a bad rep. Get on the phone and keep badgering them.

brooess
    Free Member

Was that last month (july)data brooess – where the market appeared to slow down based on year on year data

This months(august) data showed almost universal growth over same time last year again.

Depends which source you read 🙂
    Nationwide I think said prices were going up
    Hometrack said the opposite – as does my observation of asking prices on Rightmove (for London at least)

One website (Guardian or Telegraph, not sure which) even carried both headlines on the same day…

jambalaya
    Free Member

In London, asking prices are dropping – quite dramatically in some cases and places are selling much less quickly than they were a year ago.

@brooess
    , that’s a generalization, London is a big place ! I can tell you stories both ways, a mate put his place on the market had a lot of viewings but no offers so after 2 months he’s rented it out for 2 years. He has just had his offer accepted on the place he wants to buy outside London (he saw it 2 days ago and agreed sale now). Couple of places elsewhere went on the market around £2m (2 bed flats) and both sold within 3 weeks, both sales represented new highs.

@renton – house buying is quite seasonal, also your place went on the market around the bank holiday, I would not be surprised if a lot of buyers where busy with holiday / kids back to school prep etc. I wouldn’t be too worried at this stage, give it a few weeks/till end of Sep.

hooli

Depends on time of year and the house/target audience, schools go back in Sept so families will have wanted to have moved by now so perhaps less urgency if this is the target audience?

brooess
    Free Member

@brooess, that’s a generalization,

to be fair it’s not a deep analysis! I’m looking at SE – Forest Hill, Sydenham etc which used to be affordable and then went mental last year – £350-425k for 2-bed flats which previously were more like £200-250.
    Where asking prices are being dropped it’s from £425 to £400 or £400 to £350 – so from utterly obscene to still unaffordable…

Bromley asking prices aren’t falling…

Still, it’s a good sign for those of us that want to buy that people have stopped thinking they can just write down lots of noughts and expect to get it…

PiknMix
    Free Member

I had 6 viewings on ours the day it was valued, so before it even went on the market! Did over 30 viewings on it in about a fortnight, had tons of offers and accepted a very decent one from cash buyers.

We were the first to view the one we are buying and bought it the day it went on the market. Houses round here are literally selling in a matter of days, it’s mental.

Good luck.

renton
    Free Member

Apparently the estate agent did some “matching” on friday?

They have said that they have had a few phone calls but thats about it.

Can I put a link up to the ad on right move so you can see if its on the money or not compared to surrounding area?

brooess
    Free Member

Houses round here are literally selling in a matter of days, it’s mental.

This seems counter-intuitive to all the news we keep hearing about falling living standards, falling real wages, no wage rises, falling GDP per capita and interest rates due to go up – you would expect this kind of behaviour when people are feeling flush and confident about the future… I saw a stat last week which said less than half of UK households have £1500 spare in savings which sounds pretty close to the wire to me

I wonder if people are rushing to get in on fixed deals whilst they can still afford them before interest rates go up…

Last time we had people queuing up to buy and offering more than asking was 2004+

MrSmith
    Free Member

to be fair it’s not a deep analysis! I’m looking at SE – Forest Hill, Sydenham etc which used to be affordable and then went mental last year – £350-425k for 2-bed flats which previously were more like £200-250.
    Where asking prices are being dropped it’s from £425 to £400 or £400 to £350 – so from utterly obscene to still unaffordable…

I’m looking in a similar area (se19) and 2 months ago couldn’t get a look in as it went mental, not even a viewing and no mails/calls from agents as everything was sold before it even gets listed. last week i had an offer accepted for a flat under asking that had recently been reduced so yes in that area it’s defiantly heading to slightly saner levels. i’m also getting far more emails with ‘recently reduced’ and i think that anything sensibly priced will sell but the nutty overpriced property that would have sold 3 months ago will not, neighbours to current flat in SW17 sold at £450K on first viewing weekend back in june (2 bed maisonette) but it fell through and now back on market for a bit less and will probably sell at £410-425K which is the ‘right’ price.

bruneep

Next door sold within 4days. Potential buyers queuing up for viewings it was madness. Went on market Monday sold Thursday afternoon. Sellers had big smile on their face.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I wonder if people are rushing to get in on fixed deals whilst they can still afford them before interest rates go up…

I hope not or there will be a mighty problem in 2,3,5 years when their rates go up and they can’t afford the house anymore.
    I’m still looking at houses daily and things are still going nuts. We saw a house tonight on the same street that we are buying on, it’s only been on for 2 days and there are already 2 cash offers on it and another 7 viewings lined up for tonight!

Crazy.

renton
    Free Member

This is it here…………

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-47867945.html

please tell me what you think of the listing so if needs be i can go back to the EA and get changes made.

darrenspink
    Free Member

I can’t believe you haven’t spotted the problem? Your lawn is the wrong shade of green 😉

Nothing wrong with the listing from what I can see.

renton
    Free Member

Ha cheers for that !!

brooess
    Free Member

please tell me what you think of the listing so if needs be i can go back to the EA and get changes made.

No woodburner or Audi or LED lighting…

Looking at the map, the river to the west looks like you could be at risk of flooding, which would concern me if there’s any history of flooding…

You couldn’t even get a studio flat for that price in London…

renton
    Free Member

No history of flooding, it would have to be a major flood and some of the houses down the hill would be half under water for it to get anywhere near mine!!

Since I bought it in 2007 its had a full redec at least 3 times.

New patio window 2008.
    New windows all round 2008
    New kitchen 2010
    New boiler 2011

bash
    Free Member

Our house went on the market yesterday,got one viewing booked for tomorrow but that’s it 🙁 not in a hurry to move so quite happy for it to stew for a bit.

PiknMix
    Free Member

It’s not at risk of flooding on the environmental agency flood risk map. It’s well priced compatible to others, well decorated, yes the garden is a little small but I can’t figure out why your having issues.
    Is your estate agent rubbish or?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Are you trying sell it with your tennents sitting

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Our house went on the market on Saturday morning and sold for full asking price on Sunday.

Just got lucky with a desperate local buyer with mortgage lined up.

Gotta find somewhere to live now!

epicsteve
    Free Member

We put a flat in Edinburgh on the market at the end of last week and there have been 7 or 8 viewings so far and a couple of notes of interest.

project
    Free Member

Renton, that is a really nice house well presented in the pictures,handy for railway station and outside parking space.

Give it a few weeks schools going back, summer hols ending, people not looking to move as yet.

renton
    Free Member

Trail rat. Tenant will be moving with us to new house.

renton
    Free Member

So Ive just phoned the EA and they told me they have a person trying to “match” people to the property still and they also told me not to worry as its been quiet for the last two weeks due to the end of the holiday and starting school again etc.

I will give it a few weeks and see what happens.

rocketman
    Free Member

Am executor for my deceased uncle’s estate and his modest detached has been on the market since June. At first we had an avalanche of potential buyers but I had to ask myself if they’d actually read the description because they all wanted substantial changes before they’d buy.

Since then things have moved on with a foreign gentleman showing considerable interest but because he has always bought everything with CASH the bank are finding it difficult to determine his credit rating

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Viewer as soon as we’d told agent we were going to sell (Sunday afternoon). Went on web etc Monday, couple more viewings and sold that night for asking price (based on highest price a similar house had sold for). This is in Oxfordshire- the worst the last recession did to houseprices here was a brief plateau.

The week schools go back possibly not prime selling time?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

We have put ours on the market Friday for less than both of the others sold for with the same estate agent as them because they told me they had people on the book

Just means the ‘friend’ they are selling it to for a knocked down price wasn’t available over the weekend….

bash
    Free Member

Ended up with two viewings today and one booked for tomorrow too now…trying not to get excited until we get some kind of offer.

renton
    Free Member

Still no interest??

renton
    Free Member

Ok, just thought I would update this thread.

SO far the house has been on the market for a day short of two weeks and in that time we have had no viewings or interest at all.

Ive spoken at length with the estate agent who are as baffled as me as to why we have had no interest considering the amount of interest the other two houses in the cul de sac had when they were up for sale.

Thye are still contacting peope with details of the house and are awaiting feedback from them. some feedback they have had already is that its a nice house but doesnt have a garage and at that price they want a garage.

This seems abit weird to me as one of the others that sold earlier in the year didnt have a garage and other similer properties in the area also dont have garages at that price point.

I asked them about the OIEO and they said to leave it on for another week or so and then consider taking it off.

Would you mind looking at my property and also the others in that price bracket and can you give me some hints and tips on what I can do to make it more appealing than the others without spending a lot of money.

My house….
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-47867945.html

Area property search……..

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E439&insId=1&minPrice=120000&maxPrice=180000&minBedrooms=3&radius=3.0&sortType=&numberOfPropertiesPerPage=10

I look forward to your replies.

fasthaggis

It’s because you are living in Scotland.
    This referendum thing is far reaching 😀

jam-bo

Ive spoken at length with the estate agent who are as baffled as me as to why we have had no interest considering the amount of interest the other two houses in the cul de sac had when they were up for sale.

there were only two people who wanted to live in your cul de sac…

footflaps

there were only two people who wanted to live in your cul de sac…

🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘How long from putting on market to getting views on a house??’ is closed to new replies.