Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • How long for booze to leave the body?
  • mattrgee
    Free Member

So on the basis that a 4% pint is a “2.5 hr drink”, if I quaff a half with my lunch, I should wait 1.25 hrs before driving home?

Longer I would have thought as it’s going to take 1 hour before the booze has even been absorbed.

BoardinBob

Instead of doing a Will Hunting impression on/ following a night out, just don’t drive the next day. Simples.

seosamh77
    Free Member

taxi’s were invented to solve this particular conundrum.

Put it this way, you know if you are sober or not, or even close to being dodgy. If in doubt don’t drive. It’s not rocket science.

There are numerous ways to travel without the use of a car! Try them out once in a while! 😆

scaredypants

Wrong.

[quote]Really? Go on then[/quote]
    It’s pretty fair comment.
    Alcohol dehydrogenase is fairly specific and its rate for dealing with ethanol in a given individual isn’t affected by many things (other alcohols, fomepizole, .. not much else)

P450 metabolises a bit of ethanol and just might be easier to affect but even in a regular pisshead it’s generally a minor contributor

binners

You can avoid any confusion by just staying pissed, surely?

Sobriety is massively overrated anyway

gobuchul
    Free Member

Depends whether you want to be under the limit or you want your body to be alcohol free.

Why do you need to be 100% alcohol free to drive?

A low level of alcohol in the blood does not effect your reactions, co-ordination, vision or decision making to any significant degree.

Drac

Alcohol dehydrogenase is fairly specific and its rate for dealing with ethanol in a given individual isn’t affected by many things

Well apart from sex, race, age, liver disease, certain medication and those who drink regular. Oh and food.

scaredypants

Well apart from sex, race, age, liver disease, certain medication and those who drink regular. Oh and food.

Err, “in a given individual” takes care of sex, race, age and regularity of drinking. liver disease will also be a constant there, not to mention an irrelevance in the “normal person” situation.

ANd, yes, we’re all clearly talking about the few hours after a normally healthy person starting a session and the situation you presented was that this is when some mysterious “other toxins” are being removed, preventing ethanol metabolism from starting immediately

What other toxins, foods or even medications did you mean that affect alcohol dehydrogenase, or even overall alcohol removal to a significant extent?

Drac

ANd, yes, we’re all clearly talking about the few hours after a normally healthy person starting a session

Are we?

I used toxins referring to medication and/or other intakes into your system. IIRC even a simple Aspirin has an effect on alcohol metabolisation.

scaredypants

Are we?

well, we are 😉 though even if you’re talking about folk with decompensated ALD or something, then I still say there’s nothing stopping the process from starting as soon as alcohol is presented to the liver – Even then, no “toxins” are delaying the metabolism, it’s just that there’s very little liver left to do the work so it’s just going to be slower overall

“A simple aspirin” (I think it’s a gram or so – an “overdose” for any product you can buy), has an effect on bioavailabilty in some patients but still wouldn’t affect the rate at which the liver removes ethanol from the body in these people – it’s an effect on stomach/gut enzymes and first-pass effect

monkeychild
    Free Member

An old mate of mine got banned after being breathalysed at around 1 in the afternoon. I think he’d finished drinking around midnight. He said he felt fine. Make of that what you will.

Drac

Oh now I see.

We seem to be on two different points here, yes once it reaches the liver the process will start but the time it takes to process may vary from person to person.

scaredypants

agreed 😀

slowoldman

So on the basis that a 4% pint is a “2.5 hr drink”, if I quaff a half with my lunch, I should wait 1.25 hrs before driving home?

Longer I would have thought as it’s going to take 1 hour before the booze has even been absorbed.[/quote]
    OK I’ll neck two or three really quick and it’s only 15 minutes home in the car.

gobuchul
    Free Member

An old mate of mine got banned after being breathalysed at around 1 in the afternoon. I think he’d finished drinking around midnight. He said he felt fine. Make of that what you will.

He’s lying about when he finished drinking.

It’s quite common for an alcoholic to be a pretty determined liar.

mattrgee
    Free Member

OK I’ll neck two or three really quick and it’s only 15 minutes home in the car.

Off you pop…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

gobuchul – Member
    Depends whether you want to be under the limit or you want your body to be alcohol free.
    Why do you need to be 100% alcohol free to drive?

A low level of alcohol in the blood does not effect your reactions, co-ordination, vision or decision making to any significant degree.

Who are you, a spokesperson for Scottish and Newcastle in the 70’s?

One of the reasons why the limit’s been dropped to <1pint in most of Europe is precisely because it’s been shown that a small amount is dangerous!

monkeychild
    Free Member

😆 He wasn’t an alcoholic, it was after a work’s night out. Classic STW judgement 😆

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘How long for booze to leave the body?’ is closed to new replies.