Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • How long for a gel to kick in?
  • drofluf
    Free Member

I know it depends on a variety of factors but any rules of thumb?

peatybike
    Free Member

Apparently around 15 mins chap, that’s the case with SIS anyway!

nickc

“kick in”?

they don’t work like that

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    drofluf
    Free Member

Thanks!

drofluf
    Free Member

kick in”?

they don’t work like that

I know, just lazy shorthand for “be absorbed so you can start gaining the benefit”

nickc

be absorbed so you can start gaining the benefit

it depends on how low your stores are when you take the gel, if you’re bonked, TBH it won’t do much, but if you’re keeping up with your carb intake, you’ll feel fine regardless.

jobro
    Free Member

be absorbed so you can start gaining the benefit

it depends on how low your stores are when you take the gel, if you’re bonked, TBH it won’t do much, but if you’re keeping up with your carb intake, you’ll feel fine regardless.

Can’t see the logic in that at all. “bonked” usually refers to a depletion in muscle and liver stored glycogen. When you consume carbohydrate it will be available in the blood stream (dependent on several factors as mentioned) for the use by cells. If you are bonked, and will therefore have low blood glucose you WILL see the benefit once its available.

I did see some availability data recently of when consumed carbohydrate was available for cells but can’t find the reference I’m afraid. If I remember correctly gels where a surprising 30 mins. Still quicker than something like a banana though.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Simple sugar such as a glucose energy gel will ramp up the blood sugar level in minutes.

rt60

There was an article in Cyclist about this last month, apparently for gels and drinks it’s within 10 minutes.

There was research done using carbon markers in different foods and they were picking the metabolites up in breath after 10 min for liquids

stoddys
    Free Member

I’m diabetic and when I have a hypo on a ride the gel works in 5-10 mins max.

jobro
    Free Member

There was an article in Cyclist about this last month, apparently for gels and drinks it’s within 10 minutes.

There was research done using carbon markers in different foods and they were picking the metabolites up in breath after 10 min for liquids

It does but it also says that only minute amounts are seen within 10 minutes, and presumably having limited effect, with the bulk of delivery at 60 mins where I guess you are beginning to see a useful metabolic benefit.

A good article though.

lunge

I’m diabetic and when I have a hypo on a ride the gel works in 5-10 mins max.

Listen to him, diabetics know these things as they reply on them to stay healthy.

chakaping
    Free Member

A few minutes usually, according to my body.

rocketman
    Free Member

10-15 mins here

DrP

Orally or rectally?

DrP

Drac

Listen to him, diabetics know these things as they reply on them to stay healthy.

They also have a ‘different’ metabolism and will actually need the sugars as opposed to thinking they do.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Orally or rectally?

DrP

High5 have bought out some new delivery system?

Big clench of the cheeks gets you a squirt of colon gel? What flavour are you preferring as i cant say ive tried them yet (dangleberry fruit burst or fudgeybanana)..

smiththemainman
    Free Member

I`d say pretty quick if Chris Froome was willing to take a 20 second penalty for taking one off Porte with only 5 km to go on a stage in the 2013 TDF , he obviously thought it would save him more than 20 seconds by smashing one!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘How long for a gel to kick in?’ is closed to new replies.