Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • How long does your automatic watch last unworn?
  • cheers_drive

My Sinn doesn’t even last a day and often struggles even if I’m wearing it (desk job so not much moving around). It may as well be a manual wind watch.
    I’m thinking about replacing it but wont get another automatic if they’re as bad as this.

onandon
    Free Member

That’s sounds very short. Which Sinn? If it’s oil filled, it may be less than a non oil filled watch.
    Even so, I’d expect at least a day and a half.

Of the seven I have, none last less than two days. They range from Seiko to Rolex so a good cross section of movements.

Harry_the_Spider

My Seamaster will go for about 2 days.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jambalaya
    Free Member

How old is it ? It may need a service ?

I have a 10 yr old watch which will just about last a day unwound and a new one which lasts at least 2 days

craigxxl
    Free Member

Seiko Sumo was averaging around 2 days too but not worn it for a while as I’ve been wearing my Fenix 3 all the time. Put it on for a day the other week after it had stopped for a few weeks and it was still running 4 days later with the correct time. No idea how this happened as it never latest that long when new.

packer
    Free Member

Probably you are never fully “winding” it if you’re not moving around much. You should wind it up to full and then leave it and see how long it lasts. If it’s still less than a day then time for a service.

drewd

My Seiko 5 lasts about 1.5 to 2 days. No other experience with automatic watches.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

My CW does about 2 days also.

martymac

My citizen auto will go for 36 hours if fully wound up and then worn (it seems regardless of how long its worn for)
    But if i just set the time and then wear it all day (or a number of days) it will stop a few hours after being taken off.
    I drive a coach, so not that much wrist movement.
    This is pretty much what i would expect an automatic to do, this is my first one.
    Its around 8 years old.

cheers_drive

It’s not an oil filled one.
    It’s 4 years old, was running fast so was repaired by Sinn after the first year, I think it held it’s winding better before then but can’t be sure.
    I hand wind it fully every time, and it will start if I shake it so the auto winding mechanism is working.
    Now it’s out of warranty the repair / service cost will be £200-£300.

JAG

I have a Seiko Automatic watch that will do approx’ 36 hours before it stops.

mikertroid
    Free Member

My Submariner will do about two days as will my B&R.

They’re sat on a double winder (Amazon bargain) most of the time as my Fenix 3 never comes off my wrist!

BigJohn

About a day for my Rolex but it’s over 60 years old and I wear it most days.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Seiko 5 lasts about 24 hours unworn. Seiko sarg003 lasts 48 hours unworn. Both indefinitely when worn.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve got a few older automatic’s and they’ll generally do 24 hours at most. Even with the newer ones I don’t think any of mine would go more than 36 hours.

A couple of them only just make it through the night so I’ve put them in for service as I think you should be able to get 24 hours out of most automatics really.

cheers_drive

It sounds like my watch is fairly normal, maybe an automatic watch isn’t for me, despite trying I forget to manual wind and find using a winder a faff.

MrNice
    Free Member

I’ve had a Sinn for a year. I wound it once when I bought it, and once since then after I didn’t wear it for 3 days. I’ve never used a winder, I have a desk job and it’s never stopped. That doesn’t answer your question but it doesn’t sound right that it’s struggling during the day.

benp1

Seiko military seems to be a couple of days max

I’ve got a Nautica one that is more like a Seiko Kinetic so is auto but electric rather than mechanical

Although since getting Apple Watch no normal watches are getting worn!

IvanDobski
    Free Member

My Orients will generally do about 36hrs unworn, maybe a tiny bit more and that’s just based on the auto-wind mechanism as there isn’t a handwind function on them. Even putting them on from dead they’ve never stopped whilst in use, the motion of setting the time is enough to get it going then even desk work keeps them working.

Generally if it gets through the night and is working the next morning then I wouldn’t be that bothered. If you’re using it for work you’re unlikely to get enough life to do from Friday evening to Monday morning without buying something which has a particularly long power supply.

I know sod all about watches really but if it’s struggling to that extent I’d have it looked at.

longmover
    Free Member

My Baume & Mercier will last 36-48 hours depending on what I was doing before taking it off.

enduroforever
    Free Member

My seiko usually lasts around 38 hours and both breitlings last just short of 44 hours

bails

Mine lasts about two days. Just enough that if I take it off when I get home from work on a Friday evening that it’s still ticking on Sunday night, but has stopped by Monday morning.

If I’m just DIYing/biking/loafing about at the weekend (and so not wearing that watch) then I just give it a quick wind each night before bed.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Seamaster P/O about the stated 40 hrs.

ourmaninthenorth

Between 36 and 48 hours. Both are Seikos with the 6R15 movement (Cocktail Time & Sumo)

roper
    Free Member

38 hr reserve here on my Christopher Ward. Doesn’t appear to slow either.

dannybgoode

My Baume Mercier a couple days, my Omega a day.

Both spring driven…

deepreddave
    Free Member

Anything lasting longer than two days is unusual as the majority don’t. There are autos that will last a week but they’re usually quite high tech although Tissot/Certina do powermatics that are essentially allowed down autos to last 80hrs, I have one and it did so. My other autos are mostly eta based so 40hrs or so is about right.
    Quartz for convenience pick up n go, auto for a daily wearer, special occasions or cos you like the interaction with your watch (collectors please!).

Wally

Oris 65, day and a half and very comfortable.

CountZero

Never tried testing it, but my Seiko SP045RK is supposed to have a 50 hour reserve; pretty sure it’s done around 48, but no actual proof.
    Seiko 4r15 movement, non-hackable, needs re-regulating, but to accurate enough.
    Bloody hell, I’ve just done a search, checking the power reserve time, and I’ve found a SPORK on eBay, used, light marks, for $999! I payed £350 NOS for mine,

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘How long does your automatic watch last unworn?’ is closed to new replies.