• This topic has 28 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by jhw.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • How long does it take to push a bike up 1200m of fire road
  • jhw
    Free Member

1200m altitude gain, obviously. D’oh.

Four hours?

jedi

depends on how steep the road is

5thElefant
    Free Member

About 4x longer than if you rode it.

ahwiles
    Free Member

let’s assume a gradient of 1:10

that’s 12km to walk.

assuming an average of 3kph.

4 hours.

atlaz
    Free Member

Is there a moving conveyor belt?

grum
    Free Member

Depends on fitness too surely. Took me about four hours to get up Ben Lomond with my bike, which is 950m of ascent I think – lots of it’s more tricky than a fire road though. I’m pretty unfit also.

RealMan
    Free Member

Is there a moving conveyor belt?

😆

assuming an average of 3kph.

I’d think an average of about 5kph would me more realistic, although I guess it depends on fitness and weight of the bike.

5kph would make it about 2 and a half hours anyway.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Well if you are pushing the whole way, roughly the same as walking, so use Naismith’s rule which is pretty accurate. 4km per hour plus 1 minute for every 10m of height gain. Can’t believe there will be no riding at all in a 1200m height gain. Obviously not in the UK

thomthumb
    Free Member

chainless DH. sick rad dude.

Drac

What’s the terrain like, how steep, how heavy is the bike, how fit are you?

ton

i once walked from 600m in brides le bain, up to 1300m to la tania.
    i was pushing mine and my son’s bike, after we arrived for the last ski lift, and it had left.

DickBarton

Ride it? Just fireroad…

jhw
    Free Member

sounds like a how long is a piece of string situation

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Naismiths Rule should give you the answer.

4km per hour ie 1000m every 15 minutes PLUS TWO MINUTES per contour line crossed.

Don’t forget that Naismith was carrying a pack at the time and not pushing a dirty great big bouncy bike up the hill.

All calculations will be meaningless if the 1200m is on Crib Goch style terrain where you are picking your way around rocks and clitter. (LOL)

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Didnt realise contours were universally spaced on all maps? 😉

j_me
    Free Member

Unrideable fire road?

joemarshall
    Free Member

I’d think an average of about 5kph would me more realistic, although I guess it depends on fitness and weight of the bike.

If you’re the sort of person who walks up hills, or on the sort of bike that has no low gears, either way I reckon you’re unlikely to keep up a typical flat ground walking pace up a blooming great hill like that.

For what it’s worth, I did a 10 km 1000m uphill with a bunch of downhillers in nz, and I think it took them close to two hours even riding some of the less steep bits.

ampthill

Contours were 10m on all OS maps for ages

They’ve startd doing 5m on some now though..

Naismiths rule is 5 km/h plus 30 mins for 300m

thats 1 min for 10m

I just looked it up in Langmuir…

oliverd1981
    Free Member

People used to pushing DH bikes all day will push up it more quickly than novices can ride up it on XC bikes.

TheBrick
    Free Member

lol ROTFL e.t.c

lewismorgan
    Free Member

burma road in scotland,
    took me longer to bike than it did the people walk, made it though!

Junkyard
    Free Member

People used to pushing DH bikes all day will push up it more quickly than novices can ride up it on XC bikes.

I have yet to be passed by one. Either I am not a novice or that is wrong.
    I can believe you can walk up quicker happened to me on Skiddaw by one fit walker- rode most after the zig zags

boxelder

Is this a scientifically proven fact with mbr control tyres??

jhw
    Free Member

Answer is 140 minutes by the way – I found last week the rule of thumb is 100 metres every 10 minutes, in general; plus a bit for food/water breaks. Works every time.

RHSno2
    Free Member

With a bike that is pretty good going. Must have been aggressive 😉

wwaswas

Answer is 140 minutes

was it for a bet? I can’t imagine much else making me push a bike I could be riding for over 2 hours…

RHSno2
    Free Member

I can’t imagine much else making me push a bike I could be riding for over 2 hours…

I suspect its the goods that reward the push that make it worth it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Naismiths is imperial you revisionist dogs.

3 mph plus half an hour a thousand feet.

jhw
    Free Member

2 hours’ climbing for 2 hours’ descent = a fair deal (though it says little for my speed on the way down)!

Thinking about it, I believe it was a bit more than 2 hrs going up actually…nice walk though

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘How long does it take to push a bike up 1200m of fire road’ is closed to new replies.