• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by pt81.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How long do your Santa Cruz frame bearings last?
  • SOAP
    Free Member

Vpp Frames.
    Had mine replaced 8 rides ago (month) already got play in the top linkage.
    No wonder the bloody things are Free!

zelak999
    Free Member

Get about 12 months out of my Blur LTc bearing before they start wearing.
    Usually the lower link bearings.
    EDIT: that reminds me, must chase up Jungle as my replacement haven’t turned up yet (after 6 weeks)!

Fat-boy-fat

I’d try taking out the cotter bolts and tightening up the internal pinch bolts. Probably not your bearings. The inner pinch bolts tend to loosen off during the first month.

pete68
    Free Member

I’d of thought it was more likely that you need to readjust the axles. These need occasional tightening. Checkout the santa cruz website of how to do this. Very simple to do and only requires allen keys.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Careful you’re not overtightening the axles too, check for play as you’re tightening them, when it’s gone put the collet and bolt in.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Is that why SC put grease ports on? as they were handing out oodles of free bearings?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Follow the service maintenance and check torque as per schedule, use the grease gun regularly (though maybe get a better one as the SC one is frankly crap).

I got two years out of mine with a lot of riding in shitty conditions including last years mud fest in Morzine (which I think finished them off). Possibly they’d be on there longer as bike was ex demo when I got it.

I’m not complaining. Cost was only labour and costs less than my time faffing around trying to do it myself with bodge tools, or having to buy various bearing pullers.

Had a GT with the I-drive funkiness before and the bearings needed doing almost every 3 months. Although they were whacking great headset size bearings and generally they just needed cleaning and re-grease. SC ones are probably similar, but if the bearings are free and they’re getting pulled then may as well replace anyway.

neil853
    Free Member

My blur ltc used to go through them in 8-10 months, one of the few things that annoyed me about it.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

had a Mk1 Nomad, eating 90 quids worth of bearings and axles in 6 months was one of the reasons I got rid of it.

rocketman
    Free Member

What sort of bearings are we talking about here? Frame pivot bearings/swing arm bearings glued/interference fit?

Just curious like. Ta.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Should add, mine’s a mk2 Nomad.

richmtb

Had a Mk1 Blur LT, it ate bearings

The newer ones are meant to better as the angular contact bearings can be adjusted (well the tension on the axles can be adjusted) to reduce play

pt81
    Free Member

Got a LT2 one the first in 2008 and have never needed to change the bearings, just dropped them out now and again, cleaned and greased and still going strong.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How long do your Santa Cruz frame bearings last?’ is closed to new replies.