Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • How long do road tyres last?
  • frepster
    Free Member

Road noob here. I have a giant defy that I have done about 2000km on, always wondered how i would know to replace them as there is no tread.

Anyway just noticed the rear tread appears to have delaminated away from the carcass over about 3 inches of the tyres circumference, so I will now replace. Have i done alright or should they have lasted longer?

Also whats a reasonable priced 23c tyre for winter use?

flap_jack
    Free Member

2k is what I get for a rear, front lasts forever…

mikey74
    Free Member

Continental GP4000S. They last for ages too.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Too many variables to really say how long a tyre should last. I have been using Michelin Krylions for the past few years and I find that one set will last me a season (Apil-October) where I manage about 10 000km. But I only ride the bike shod with these tyres on nice days.

mboy
    Free Member

How long is a piece of string? Depends on the tyre… And other variables.

If you’re not racing, probably just put the current front on the rear, and put a new tyre on the front. Then do the same the next time one wears out.

As for tyres. Depends what you want to spend. Planet X have got a good range going cheap right now, worth a look.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

They last a good time depends how lucky you are with what you might ride over glass etc.Bonty Racelite 2.5k out of rear still ok shape goes abit.Just put it on another bike.

Rorschach
    Free Member

should they have lasted longer?

What are you going to do?Shout at them?”Naaaughty tyres.”
    I really do wonder sometimes….

edhornby

when you think that tyres are the thing that stops you from coming off a road bike at 20+ miles an hour, best not to take any chances.

also end of life tyres invite punctures

PrinceJohn

also end of life tyres invite punctures

As soon as I start getting punctures that’s when I change em

njee20
    Free Member

What are you going to do?Shout at them?”Naaaughty tyres.”
    I really do wonder sometimes….

🙄

It’s a reasonable question, and to be honest I’d not be happy with 2000kms out of a road tyre. I tend to get 4-5000+ miles out of a rear GP 4 Seasons, and far longer from fronts.

DuggieStyle
    Free Member

Depends how good you are at skidz. Michelin pro’s seem to disappear at alarming rate.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I got just over 2k out of my duranos, the rear was proper flat profiles

pdw
    Free Member

I got a good 5k out the gatorskin on the back of my commuter. I usually change them once they start getting punctures – this one remained happily puncture free until it fell apart. I moved the front to the rear and that’s still going strong after another 2-3k miles.

samuri
    Free Member

As above, when you start getting punctures.
    2k is ok for a normal rear road tyre.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘How long do road tyres last?’ is closed to new replies.