Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • How long do Five tens last?
  • hora
    Free Member

Balking a wee bit at the price. Plus how do they cope with slippy push-up”s?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Crap on wet grass as my bum will testify, great on wet rock, better on dry rock.

I’ve got an old pair of Sam Hill 5-19’s that I’ve had nice 2009. They were second hand when I got them!

Northwind

My Impacts and Basics both lasted a winter. They might have lasted 10 summers for all I know, but one winter destroyed them, they just fell apart.

My Freeriders are doing much better. Not as nice a shoe as my Sombrios 😉 But a far better made item than the Impacts, which had all the build quality of a tesco trainer. Weak stitching, cardboard soles, glue that didn’t, etc.

Muddy push-ups… Alright. The freeriders have a better walking shape than Impacts, but the soles are still basically flat. Same with any other flat shoe though and they’re seriously grippy on wet rock etc if you can find some in your mud.

rewski
    Free Member

Useless on steep wet mud, best kept on the pedals, overall a very well made shoe, the free riders are pretty waterproof too. I’ve been through tow pairs of shimano am40s, soles got chewed up pretty quickly, impressed with 5 10s so far. You also need to bear in mind that cheap plastic shoes can make your feet manky.

tymbian
    Free Member

…..and you can get them re-soled.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Suck it up, you’ll only buy them in the end anyway! They’re awesome, I bought a second pair as a back up when mine were looking tired but they’re happily chugging along and look to have a fair while left yet. Just make sure you clean and dry them after a clagfest and they’ll look after you.

I’m converted, it’s an indulgent mark up but they’re worth it.

andrewni
    Free Member

5:10 impacts, mine have had a weekly Irish mud bath for 2 years in our perpetual winter. The past few weeks is the first dust they’ve ever seen. The laces are failing rapidly but the shoes are fine

Onzadog
    Free Member

Impacts still use cardboard for the lasting board. Fine so long as it doesn’t get a proper soaking.

hora
    Free Member

Whats the lasting board?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I’ve been through tow pairs of shimano am40s, soles got chewed up pretty quickly,

glad its not just me. I much prefer my AM40s to the Impact Lows I had but the pins on my Flatboys have eaten half way through the soles in no time at all. Seem to work with my kona wah wahs (same pedal as superstar, nukeproof, HTi, carboncycles etc etc) without any extra damage so hoping they will last a fair while longer and may be pedal dependent.

Onzadog
    Free Member

As I understand it, the lasting board is the first piece to go down, around which, the rest of the shoe is made. Basically, lift the insole out of the shoe and you’ll see. Layer or cardboard. That’s all there is between the insole and the sole. If it gets wet, lumps of it fall out and what’s left goes mouldy.

rewski
    Free Member

what about these cheap tevas[/url

I had but the pins on my Flatboys have eaten half way through the soles in no time at all

[quote] it was Easton Flatboys that destroyed my am40 soles too, thinking of getting them resoled with stealth rubber because the uppers are mint, best of both worlds.

rewski
    Free Member

what about these cheap tevas

I had but the pins on my Flatboys have eaten half way through the soles in no time at all

[quote] it was Easton Flatboys that destroyed my am40 soles too, thinking of getting them resoled with stealth rubber because the uppers are mint, best of both worlds.

nedrapier

I was thinking of getting my AM40s resoled, tehn I realised I could get a pair of 5.10 Dirtbags for the same price as a Feet First resole and postage.

They’re £55 now, not in any way weather resistant, but they look good and they’ve got the same Stealth rubber as all the others.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My freeriders are probably 2 years old now. Not ridden in daily, probably only 1000miles or so, but I do wear them as normal trainers and they’ve survived that as well as any other flat shoe I’ve had.

Got them in a ‘sale’ for £45, so not too badly priced.

My only gripe is they’re not as stiff as the impacts, solved that with some ‘sports’ insoles from boot’s, got them to help my knees but they’re also good for stifening the sole a bit.

youngrob

My Sam Hills lasted 3 years of Scottish weather and had a fair few trips throughs burns etc. They finally fell apart this spring and I’ve been looking for replacements, also baulking a the cost of new 5.10s. I have tried Teva Links which were good but not as grippy on the pedals. The search goes on.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve got the canvas BMX shoe because they were cheap from CRC and I’m too tight to buy the others at full price. They seem to be holding up OK, don’t offer much weather protection but at least they look normal. Sole is showing a fair bit if wear in a few months. It’ll be interesting to see how they hold up.

Northwind

My AM40s always ripped the sole up quickly (on MG1s and Nanos) but not enough to be a problem- they look mauled mind but the soles didn’t die before the uppers. As a package both pairs lasted, oh, 3 times as long as my Impacts I reckon. Both pairs cracked really hadly around the toebox though. I wore them til they disintegrated.

Still, I reckon the Sombrios I have are better than either. The hideous Shazams are just incomparably better in winter, and the Floats are comparable to a Freerider but with better construction.

timidwheeler
    Free Member

Cardboard? I must stop putting them through the washing machine. Both our Spitfires and my impacts have been through a few times. They are fine.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’ve still got an original pair of the Sam Hill impacts, they must be 6 years old now. They have been raced in for years & got wet most weekends & are still going strong. The sole is a bit mashed up, but it is no less grippy than the freeriders I also have.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

They’ll last about 10% as long as any half decent pair of vans without a shadow of a doubt.

andeh

My Barons are about 18 months old and are starting to look a bit shabby.

Most of the stitching/uppers are fine, barring a small rip in the side from heel rub. The soles are getting chewed up a bit where the pedal pins sit. Got them cheap from CRC, in a combination of new year sales and pre-xmas discount vouchers. They’ve been ridden pretty consistently while I’ve had them but only had a thorough soaking a few times.

I’m pleased, I didn’t expect them to last a year, seems they’ve upped the game somewhat with quality control/materials.

Grip is excellent on Peak grit stone, but somewhat lacking in mud.

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

Had a pair of impact lows for 5yrs still going strong on the uppers, but the soles getting thin now. Tbh I have kept them on at work on a concrete floor so no complaints.

empy
    Free Member

Had my Impacts for 2 years – used pretty much everyday including wet/mud. The cardboard does degrade but as long as you dry them out overnight with the insoles removed they’re ready to go again next day. basically lasting better than I thought they would.

banks
    Free Member

Ages. 2 years for me Danny Mac freeriders – just don’t wash them in a washing machine and you’ll be reet. Wear them almost everyday only after 15 months or so has the sole starting to get chewed up.

My sombrio’s just seem crap compared – not as stiff, less grip & protection but they do dry quicker

steezysix
    Free Member

I really like my am40’s, but agree about the soles looking chewed up pretty quick – I think it’s because the tread is too deep. The 5.10 shoes grip really well even though the soles are almost flat – the pins just dig into the rubber. When my am40’s started looking chewed up I ground the sole flat under the ball of the foot where the pedals sits (like the new 5.10 free riders) , and they’ve hardly worn down at all since then.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Bought mine in 2008 still going strong

Bunnyhop

Mine are 2 years old.
    Laces have gone and they’re starting to crack a little on the sides of my lead shoe. Otherwise fine, considering they get used at least 3 times a week in all weathers.
    Overall one of the best bits of kit I’ve owned.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

Had mine 3 or four years. Wear them summer and winter. Never cleaned them. Still fine!

chives
    Free Member

Really like my Spitfire mids, but they seem to have stopped making them (**** typical.)

hora
    Free Member

My spesh spds always lasted a yr max (4). So fingers crossed!

widge34
    Free Member

My Impact lows are still going strong after 18 months. Just ordered some VXi’s for £57 😀

khegs
    Free Member

Oo, where? Looking for some shoes for flats at the moment too

tomhoward

7 years here, though I’m a fair weather mtber…

hora
    Free Member

57??

kennyp
    Free Member

I had a pair of Sam Hills that lasted several years, including tramping all of Scotland all year round in some horrible conditions. Just bought myself a second pair.

kimbers

my impacts have lasted a few years now, but as i dont get to do much dh these days they dont see too much action, still fair amount of slippery push ups at aston and couple of very wet trips to the alps and they are still going strong (which is a shame coz they look gopping and i cant justify new ones till they die)

Ive always made sure they are dried out after every ride so no mouldiness so far and I check them quite regular

rewski
    Free Member

This is painful, how about we just have a whip round and buy him a pair.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

[QUOTe]My only gripe is they’re not as stiff as the impacts[/quote]

exactly what I hated about my Impacts! I like to be able to feel the pedal under my foot not just assume its there and the shoe is gripping it, the impacts were too stiff and “dead” for me. Even with the stiffer insert in AM40s they give more flex and feel.

Barrons don’t have the super-sticky Stealth C4 sole as Impacts etc, its a slightly less tacky rubber, and has more flexible sole, so if you like Impacts you might not like Barrons.

widge34
    Free Member

Yep £57. Have a riding buddy who works for 5 10. Happy days

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘How long do Five tens last?’ is closed to new replies.